urgent help please - intercooler removal

s3_trev

Northern Ireland
Reaction score
Hey guys does anyone have any guides on removing the oem cooler on an s3 8p?? Standing with my mechanic as we speak and it seems a nightmare to get off! !! Do you need to drain the radiator??

As far as I can remember the whole front assembly plus the radiator pack(a/c,intercooler and rad ) comes out.

It is a PITA which I didn't do myself.

It is possible to remove / re-fit without disconnecting the other rads completely but be careful not to bend things too far. Undo the front rad at one end and lower the IC out. Front end has to come off but once again, doesn't have to be all the way.

Reactions: S3Alex
No need to disconnect radioter and drain water at all! just take the front Bumper, headlights and front section off, the the hole ac radiator.intercooler and radiator pacgage will be in front off you and easy to work on!:) done it many times.

@Ice man and nluk100
Good advice from both you guys....I was going by what was done to mine,but that's a while back now,and you've clearly found a quicker way.

Good luck Trev too....

Hey guys update. First of all thanks for all the replies. I was literally standing in a garage with my mobile phone when I started this thread!! Long story short we ended up just removing the entire front of the car. Took loads of pics actually must post them later. Think il make a thread for that as Im gonna mention the other mods I done this weekend as well.

So yeah intercooler - pig of a job. Id rate it as bad as the front ARB tbh, if not worse! Good thing is if i DO manage to get some uprated cooler hoses, they seem to be easy enough to swap out.

On initial runs the car seems to have improved! It feels that big more agressive now and just pulls so hard its brilliant! No logs or before or after dyno runs im afraid, just going by how the car felt before and after.

So I would have to recommend the ProAlloy cooler for this model of car. Fast postage, solid construction, true direct replacement and good performance!

Good choice.

That intercooler has served me well from Stg3 to Syvecs.

Reactions: s3_trev