TDI excellence

mcconnot

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Just drove home from work. Realised leaving work that i had hardly and fuel left in the tank. With no fuel stations on the way, i had to make it home the whole 36 mile trip (when i turned the car on the DIS showed 30 miles), so i was feathering the accelerator. But fair play to the 2.0 TDI engine. I managed to get it all the way to 68 mpg!! Most of the way it was hovering around 60 mpg doing about 60 mph!!!

Question is:
When the DIS gets to 0 miles of fuel left in the car, how many more miles can it go? Is the DIS literally measuring what is truely left or is there a fail-safe amount of fuel left for idiots like me who forget to fill up?

I know the fuel meter usually has a few miles left after it hits the red, but what about the DIS?

Cheers.:arco:

There is still a bit in there once it hits 0 miles on the DIS - I think I remember risking about 10 miles with it on 0 and there have been threads where people have managed to top this.

The only thing that I've noticed is that the countdown from 20-15-10-5-0 seems to happen very quickly compared to when it's up in the hundreds.

I find these threads about amazing diesel mileage tedious. We all know they don't like to drink.

How's about a thread discussing WORST MPG? I averaged 8 mpg in a Dodge Viper.

Not everyone has the luxury of doing 8mpg!

To be honest, the mpg in mine isn't great I usually average around 420miles per tank, the best ever being 500 miles when I went to Scotland - OH WELL

I find these threads about amazing diesel mileage tedious. We all know they don't like to drink.

How's about a thread discussing WORST MPG? I averaged 8 mpg in a Dodge Viper.

I've seen 1mpg out of a W12 A8

In my old 140 i once got 800miles to tank driving to Leeds and back, was really impressed with that! Average speed of about 65mph

But my new 170 drinks fuel compared to that :( get about 400-450 if im lucky

When i got home last night, with 0 miles on the DIS, i put €50 euro's worth of fuel in (42 litres, not sure of the gallon conversion, but not a full tank). The clock went straight up to 820 miles with the hot engine!:icon_thumright:

When i got home last night, with 0 miles on the DIS, i put €50 euro's worth of fuel in (42 litres, not sure of the gallon conversion, but not a full tank). The clock went straight up to 820 miles with the hot engine!:icon_thumright:

You have a fuel pump at home? Awesome!!!!

Home = the general area of my neighbourhood! Now that would be handy!

Tell me about it! With the last budget hike here on fuel tax, for every €50 i am getting about 7 litres less!!!

any guys remember Clarkson driving the A8 the length of the country and back??

think he got about 40-50 miles when the DIS hit 0 miles!! that was in a 4.2 V8 TDI!! of course it was relatively easy engine driving...even so best not to do this on a regular basis due to damage to the fuel filter from scraping the muck off the bottom of the tank... ;)

Is it normal that lately (consistently) i have been doing my 36 mile trip at 70mph and doing 68-69mpg?
I know the 2.0TDI doesnt like to drink, but thats a very high mpg average isnt it?

I have got up to 700 miles out a full tank on my 2.0 TDI 140, was well impressed with that!
i usually get an average of 50mpg with a mix of motorways and city driving, but when its pure motorway i can get up to 70mpg! i think thats ****** fantastic from a 5yr old car :)

Yeah mine is 6 years old! Now if i can just sort that misfire out ill be laughing!:icon_thumright: