S3 Oil temp info for reference

Dodgyluke

Reaction score
Evening all.

First post on the site. I generally just hide in the background taking the information in. Thought I'd contribute something I observed a while ago whilst trawling the threads for info.

One thing I remember looking for was how to get the oil temp readout on the display which seems barmy not to have on show as standard especially considering the turbo implications. For shame Audi.

Whilst there are a some good guides/ info on here to get the information from the lap time submenu, I noticed in some posts that individuals where mixing up the coolant and oil temps and also the time it took to get the oil to a suitable temp before operating the car on boost.

I thought I'd share a screenshot of split times from a stopwatch at specific temp points as a point of reference for others.

SmartSelect 20221127 205055 Gallery
I ran in dynamic mode and ran between 30, 40 and 50mph roads and did not hit boost at any point. I have used the digital readout for oil temp rather than the generic bar used in some cockpit display options. Ambient temps was 9.5 degrees C and car was left overnight to ensure it was a true cold start. There was not much traffic on the roads i.e. was moving consistently so not sat idling. Coolant level sits constantly between min max and is standard VAG fluid

Point 1 on time sheet, Coolant temp of 90 reached in 4:48 from cold.

Point 2, It then took a further 3:23 min/ secs to tickle 60 degrees celsius

Point 3, took an additional 1:27 min to reach 70 degrees Celsius

Point 4, took 1:20 mins to hit 80 degrees Celsius

Point 5, took 2:56 mins from 80 to get to 90 degrees Celsius.

I've timed temps on a few occasions and it is fairly consistent. Normally after 12 minutes I've achieved the magic 90 degrees. On the example, I linked above it took a bit longer and didn't seem to want to increase - could be down to the road speed / driving style on that occasion.

The important information to note is that whilst the coolant achieved temp in just under 5 minutes. In comparison, the oil took 11 minutes to get to 80 degrees Celsius. Never assume the coolant temp readout is a safe indicator that the engine oil is of a suitable temperature to be giving it some beans.

Apologies it's not super riveting but hope it is of use to someone else or may start some discussion on what temps / how long yours takes etc.

Cheers !

Reactions: Audicfc and Mick3
I always wait for mine to get the oil temp up to at least 80C before booting it, using the lap time screen. You are correct thought it is pretty consistent although takes longer the colder the ambient temp is. In the summer I've found its up to almost 80C in about 4.5 miles of driving, but in the winter at the same point it is barely over 50C.

Reactions: Dodgyluke
Its actually quite interesting, I never blatted my S3 until 80deg .
Pretty sure carista allows you to put the oil temp permanently front and centre.

Interestingly now with an R8 from cold the redline is at 6k rpm and once the oil it hits 54deg C it opens up to start of red line at 8700.
Still feels wrong so still adhere to my own tickle around until about 80deg, probably not necessary but old habits die hard.
I would recommend the change if you can but not if you need more than 2 seats.

Nice to see other perspectives on oil temps and how to get into the menu. I decided against including how to access the oil temp displays through the standard lap time offering or through obds/ carista as its already covered elsewhere comprehensively and would have turned above into war and peace.

I don't think there's a definitive temperature at which one can "rip it" however 80 or 90 seem like reasonable temps to me. I'd only had the car Autumn time so not had the pleasure of dry roads and higher temps yet !

Reactions: Damo S
I don't think there's a definitive temperature at which one can "rip it" however 80 or 90 seem like reasonable temps to me. I'd only had the car Autumn time so not had the pleasure of dry roads and higher temps yet !

The revo remaps have some code included that limits the boost until the oil temp is over, I think, 75C. Its a good feature this, and does give some indication that my self imposed 80C is a very safe marker. Sometimes it doesnt happen though. over taking when the car is still a bit cold and it can hit full boost very quickly and easily even when you think its part throttle (mine is remapped though, so way more sensitive than stock)

As long as the coolant temp has reached it's normal operating temperature than you aren't going to cause any more issues with engine wear if the oil is at 50 degrees or 90 degrees. Oil that's at 80 degrees does not provide any more protection than oil at 50 degrees. AFAIK most protection maps built into engine software is related to the coolant temp and not oil temperature.

I'm not sure you are correct in this instance. Revo specifically quote oil temperature. The coolant on these engines is actually heated by the exhaust gases which is why it gets warm so quickly. The idea being the hot coolant helps heat the engine block (rather than the other way round) so that the engine gets warmer quicker to improve efficiency on shorter drives. It may not accurately represent that actual temperature of the engine block and related parts.

Reactions: pxuL