Rear brake overhaul

s3dave

TFSI Hybrid
Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.stainless-engineering.co.uk
After finding one of my calipers siezed, i decided to do the ****** lot and stop messing about....

so this lot came in the post this morning.....

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Im going to paint them and fit it all at the weekend....

costs: brembo pads 20 quid
discs: 80 quid, grooved and dimpled
calipers: 80 quid for the pair and 70 quid surplus (get it back when i give my old calipers back)

After finding one of my calipers siezed, i decided to do the ****** lot and stop messing about....

so this lot came in the post this morning.....

Im going to paint them and fit it all at the weekend....

costs: brembo pads 20 quid
discs: 80 quid, grooved and dimpled
calipers: 80 quid for the pair and 70 quid surplus (get it back when i give my old calipers back)

Very nice Dave. Where did you get the calipers and do they do a similar service for front ones???

I'm about to do something similar, noticed at the weekend the drivers side rear disk is rusty even after driving and has a noticeable ridge in the middle of the disk, something not quite right there I reckon.

Also would like to know where the calipers came from, I'm thinking it's likely one of mine has seized.

Update ...
After painting the new calippers.....
img0017cp.jpg

By d121m at 2011-04-21
img0018pv.jpg

By d121m at 2011-04-21

I put them on....out with the old......
img0026zy.jpg

By d121m at 2011-04-21

and in with the new........
img0028q.jpg

By d121m at 2011-04-21

God knows how long they have been siezed/partially siezed but my MPG as shot up to 26 mpg from a consistant 20 mpg (since i got it) so i will soon recoup the cost on fuel alone, i have to say the car is a lot better to drive and is very eager now im not dragging an anchor....lol
i also noticed the car should rock front and back very easy on a straight road with the h/brake off, before it would not budge! i thought it was because of it been a bit lardy.....
So check yours guys, they are a very bad design and can sieze easily...i think jet washing ****** mine, and pulled a little bit of the seal around the cylinder so water got trapped in and did its dirty work......

Did you paint your discs too? Is that safe to do always thought it would cause a problem when it rubs off onto the brake pads. Looks good, I hate how the discs tend to rust.

As said..... just a coating :)

I've painted the hub area and very outer of my new fronts in VHT black as it keeps them nice and tidy looking...which those rears will do too. I hate crusty cornflake discs!

Looking good Dave, I need to pull my finger out and colour code my rears too. I've had a spare pair of rear brake calipers and carriers, plus the red paint, but never got round to doing it.

Did you paint your discs too? Is that safe to do always thought it would cause a problem when it rubs off onto the brake pads. Looks good, I hate how the discs tend to rust.

Well they did not come like that but many do, a light coating and then the pattern stays black along with the outer and inner disc..

did you give the hubs a wire brush carn tell in the picis and plenty of copper grease.