New to VCDS, Fear of coding to car?

Dylan Johnson

Test123
Reaction score
So theres a few "tweaks" id like to do to my car but i've read some horror stories about people whos coding have failed or they coded the wrong thing... I'm not bothered about accidently coding the wrong thing because I would triple check everything just what if the coding fails?

Lets say for example Im coding foglights as DRL lights if the coding was to fail would it completely mess the ECU to the point the car wont start? Or would I be able to revert my changes and the car be fine (I would take a pic of the previous code) ?

Would the ECU be even accessible if coding fails.

Excuse the seriously dumb questions, Im completely new VCDS.

Just back up the original coding before making changes and make sure you read up on modules you want to code as there are different versions depending on car spec and year.

You would have to be very unlucky to do something that caused a major issue or wasn't correctable by yourself. If you are treading the path of common mods that have been done by many people then you shouldn't have an issue. If you were trying to get something to work and randomly altering stuff then you could potentially have an issue. Just double check what you are doing and make a note of the existing values before you change them, take a picture with the phone or hit print screen and save the image to a word document.

Reactions: DJAlix