Help needed!..3.2Q DSG Hesitant engine ~ 2k rpm

-Ju-

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I've got a running problem with my A3. I picked the car up about 3 weeks ago and have noticed it has a problem when the revs get to around 2k rpm. It's apparent when driving, but also when parked, it's also impossible to hold the car at 2k rpm. The revs bounce up and down by around 300rpm either way!. The cars been checked for fault codes but doesn't have any. I've also tried unplugging the maf, but that makes no difference.
I have been back to the dealer (Mercedes), who took it to a local independant. They acknowledge that a fault exists but don't know what it is and have advised taking it to Audi. The Dealer is reluctant to do this.

Anybody got any clues/experience of a similar problem?

If there's no fault code, in my experiance, it could be the maf sensor or temp sender.

Temp senders around 20ish from dealers so try that as it doesnt always show up on the daignostics.

Make sure the cars fully serviced up and the filters have been changed (esp air and fuel) and may be worth getting some redex through her (only a few quid)

HTH

Temperature sender is a good shout for £20. I was also told it could be a Lambda probe. If the fuel filter was blocked, I would expect it to have fuel starvation further up the rev range, but the fault clears itself over 2.5k rpm.

If you search my thread on this it might help you maybe......

So did the software map solve this and if so can I check with vagcom if mines been done?

Still got the problem but it's going in for a new MAF tomorrow although I'm not convinced thats the cure. I checked the car tonight for fault codes and got the following.

Address 01: Engine
Control Module Part Number: 022 906 032 GJ
Component and/or Version: MOTRONIC ME7.1.1G 7001
Software Coding: 0000178
Work Shop Code: WSC 06314
1 Fault Found
16395 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake): ****** Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced)
P0011 - 008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

Could that point to a maf or is it more likely to be timing issue as there is a very slight rattle from the tensioner.

O2 sensor? A sensor in the exhaust- inlet manifold?

Mine does this as well. has done for years. Incidentally i had a new lambda sensor a month back and it wasn't that. I have never had a fault code either. I have always put it down to the nature of the beast...

As suspected, the fault still exists. @ Paddy, while parked, are you able to rev and hold the car at 2000rpm without the engine fluctuating?. Mine varies from 1700-2300rpm, past 2500rpm it's fine. I know it's not right as my last 3.2 didn't do it.

Just been out to try it :yum:

Seem to be the same as yours. sounds like a miss fire, don't notice it much when driving, especially under load. Its odd that because mine has always done it ( i brought it at 12k miles, now 40k miles) its never really bothered me...............but now it does thanks :laugh:
Best i can describe it when rolling is hesitant but as you say it clears soon after 2k revs.
I will do a little research and maybe between us we can pin it down.

Just been out to try it :yum:

Seem to be the same as yours. sounds like a miss fire, don't notice it much when driving, especially under load. Its odd that because mine has always done it ( i brought it at 12k miles, now 40k miles) its never really bothered me...............but now it does thanks :laugh:
Best i can describe it when rolling is hesitant but as you say it clears soon after 2k revs.
I will do a little research and maybe between us we can pin it down.

Well a problem shared is a problem halved lol! I do notice it when driving, it almost feels like a gearchange and can be very annoying when in a stream of traffic.
Would be interesting hearing from other 3.2 r's if theirs are the same.
One thing I have noticed through checking the timing chain regularly is that although it's well within tolerance, the values do change and I suspect that could be related to the timing chain tensioner.

Mine holds revs at 2k ok.........

Mines a manual btw.

Might b different on a DSG??? Would have thought they be the same tho out of gear...

Like you say, I can't see why you having an inferior box would make a difference though in neutral:undwech:.................just kidding!

Definitely not plugs because i just had a full 40k service.

Like you say, I can't see why you having an inferior box would make a difference though in neutral:undwech:.................just kidding!

A manual box eh ?? I suppose its a bit like having advance and ****** on your steering wheel.....and a hand fuel pump....:yes:

How much did they charge out of interest for the plugs.

Jsut had mine done.

Audi Guildford charged me £10.50 each so £63 less 15% discount.
About £55 a set of 6

OK then, a few observations.
Travelling down hill with a light throttle in 6th at 2krpm it doesn't do it but as i reach the bottom and start to climb the other side it starts to hesitate. Best i can describe it is it feels like it is undecided about changing gear, ie starts to change then changes its mind.
Point is it is a lot worse under load at a steady 2k. ie uphill.
If it was in my field ie: a bike with carbs i would say its a classic weak spot as the carb needle tapper rises in the main jet so raise the needle one notch......but its not a bike. I still think its possibly just a weak mixture spot.

Yeah thats how mine feels although sometimes I can feel it downhill if I have the throttle in the right spot. I actually drove another 3.2 last night, as a mate has just bought one and that was fine
It's definately not a dsg issue though as it does it in neutral and in manual mode.
Still waiting to hear back from the garage as to what to do next.

Hi there seem to be a dsg issue .. mine has done it since i bought it.. replaced fuel pump.. maf ...??? its annoying been trying to resolve this...

Slight update on this........The car has been at an independant garage all week and they have changed both camshaft sensors, the chain tensioner and guide and also put a new set of iridium spark plugs in and although it does seem better, the problem still exists. The slight misfire is still there when you rev the engine between 1500-2000 rpm.
Not sure where to go with this now tbh as at the moment it doesn't really affect the car and it only shows up in certain situations.

I know the early Mk4 R32's had a software problem that caused a flat spot around the same point so I might see about having a trial software put on and see if that makes a difference. I know APR do a map as do Revo but you can't get the trial with revo!

Exactly the route i am looking at Ju. I have a guy that does Revo near by for about £325. Not much power gain but the curves look better on the chart starting much earlier.. The only thing i can add so far is mine is a lot worse for the first3-4 miles now its getting colder in the mornings but i could easily live with it.

I've had APR previously on my old Leon and tbh I would go with them again. I had it fully loaded with different programs, including anti-theft which is a great option and you can switch it all through the cruise control. All that used to be extra but I've noticed it's now included and for a tad over £400, it's worth doing, as long as it improves the flat spot and not makes it worse!
I might have a run over next weekend and try it out.

OK then, a few observations.
Travelling down hill with a light throttle in 6th at 2krpm it doesn't do it but as i reach the bottom and start to climb the other side it starts to hesitate. Best i can describe it is it feels like it is undecided about changing gear, ie starts to change then changes its mind.
Point is it is a lot worse under load at a steady 2k. ie uphill.
If it was in my field ie: a bike with carbs i would say its a classic weak spot as the carb needle tapper rises in the main jet so raise the needle one notch......but its not a bike. I still think its possibly just a weak mixture spot.

You sure it's not a DSG issue? I understood a faulty DSG box could cause the revs to fluctuate...

Not likely to be a DSG issue Pete, even in neutral in the drive you can hear it mis firing at 2k, sweet as a nut at 1500 and 2500rpm...I now know of three 3.2s doing this. It would be interesting to see if it shows up on the rolling road. If i go for the AMD remap they RR the car first.

Not likely to be a DSG issue Pete, even in neutral in the drive you can hear it mis firing at 2k, sweet as a nut at 1500 and 2500rpm...I now know of three 3.2s doing this. It would be interesting to see if it shows up on the rolling road. If i go for the AMD remap they RR the car first.

Shaun and the guys at AMD know their stuff, so hopefully they'll have some joy.

At least I now know of another potential issue to look out for on my car :(

hey glad to find out I'm not the only one having a nightmare with my 3.2. I'm having exactly the same problems. Had tensioners and chain changed, upgraded MAP, mass air sensor coolant temp sensor changed new filters and oil flush, throttle body recalibrated still not right it's driving me mad! any solutions yet? Oh and mines manual!

Welcome Simp, what is worrying now is mine is getting worse. Could be because the weather is getting colder..........which should be a clue ?

Thanks, mine was terrible today, it also seems to vary depending on the engine temp possibly some kind of pressure changes? any clues?:banghead:

My guess is a software fault to do with the advance ******. Its too accurately bang on 2k on too many cars to be a random failure of a component and not show up on a fault scan.

Well mine definately has to have the timing chain done as it's making allsorts of nasty noises. The chain being loose is apparently what is making the engine miss below 2000rpm, over that and the ECU can adapt enough to allow for it.
It's interesting though that you have had the chain changed and you still have problems?. How much did it cost to change if you don't mind me asking. I've had a quote of £2100 although ultimately I'm not intending to pay for it out of my own pocket.
I have also been told that it's very common for 3.2's to not run right!

My guess is a software fault to do with the advance ******. Its too accurately bang on 2k on too many cars to be a random failure of a component and not show up on a fault scan.

Mines anywhere from idle to 2000rpm now. It was originally better for having the tensioner done but is now worse than ever especially when the engine has warmed up:(

Hi Ju
That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I cant believe that the chain would be that slack ie: beyond the scope of the tensioner. i did 150k miles in my VR6 and the chain did rattle at idle but it didn't cause a misfire. Given that Simps has had the chain and tensioner changed and it made no difference i am very doubtful....
I still think Software/ignition is one of the few ideas that fits the scenario

I would love to see one of these hooked up and a print out for advance/ ****** and ignition timing for all six coil packs at 2k rpm.

My problem might be slightly different to yours though Paddy, all I know is that the noise has got worse and so has the misfire. The master tech explained to me the reasons why the misfire was present and the only way to cure the problem was a strip down.
I'm not a happy chappy at the moment as the supplying dealer isn't playing ball, but hopefully I'll know more next week.

My problem might be slightly different to yours though Paddy, all I know is that the noise has got worse and so has the misfire. The master tech explained to me the reasons why the misfire was present and the only way to cure the problem was a strip down.
I'm not a happy chappy at the moment as the supplying dealer isn't playing ball, but hopefully I'll know more next week.

OK Ju. I wish you luck mate, make sure to let us know how you get on.