Gearbox fault please help!

Danny Scott

Reaction score
My A3 has developed a fault and although its intermitent it is very annoying and can be downright dangerous.

First off car is a 2004 A3 2.0ltr petrol n/a with an automatic 6 speed gbox.

Basically every now and then, usually at lower speeds below 40 and especially when puling away, the car loses all power and the accelorator pedal dowesnt do anything, no revs either no matter how hard down I push. Then suddenly 2 or 3 seconds later it all kicks back into life.

Like I said this can be quite dangerous when pulling out of junctions or onto roundabouts as the car just stops dead for a few seconds!

Any help would be greatly appreciated cheers guys.

So does this mean I have the £2k fault? Someone told me my gearbox wasnt a DSG?

It really is very intermittent, sometimes I can go a week without it happening, then it will happen 2/3 times on one journey

Missed that bit! :blush: Which means it's not DSG, and I'm an **** :haha:

lol thats good to know I suppose as I was starting to worry I had a dreaded faulty DSG and started seeing £2000 bills floating in front of my eyes lol.

Life was much simpler when I had a ford just replace £20 sensors till its fixed lol

If a car loses throttle response and loses power when pulling away and the accelerator pedal no longer does anything then rather than gearbox i would be looking at the "link" between pedal and engine !

It sounds more engine related tbh

When you say the accelerator does nothing are we to assume the engine doesnt even rev up?
Engine speed sensor or similar. Only a scan will reveal all?

When i put my foot down the revs dont change, then suddenly it kicks into life like its dropped a gear. Im in dartford, nearest dealer is bexley. How much is a diagnostics check?

But if it was an accelarator pedal surely it would be like it all the time?

how much do audi want to do a diagnostics check?

As I understand it the accelerator pedal is also an electric magic gadget, so it wouldn't be unheard of for such a device to play up intermittently...

Audi will want £90 i expect. You need to find someone with Vagcom or a more local garage that will scan it for you and tell you.

The fault sounds intermittant so whatever is causing it is probably borderline hence not doing it all of the time.

Call by a garage and ask if they can help, i am sure a few quid thrown at them will help them make thier mind up, after all its only a simple plug in job to read the codes.