egt sensor location on '03 S3

Ye I could feel the bolt by putting my arm under the TIP. I cant find it anywhere new except for at TPS or Audi.

What part number you got. If you get a new one before me post up your results.

I had mine done last month and looking thorugh the file on my car it was replaced by the previous owner in August 2010. This sensor shouldn't go so quickly should it?

Mine still heistates and doesn't feel 100% at times.

I had mine done last month and looking thorugh the file on my car it was replaced by the previous owner in August 2010. This sensor shouldn't go so quickly should it?

Mine still heistates and doesn't feel 100% at times.

Thats interesting. How much did you pay for your sensor.

Was you getting the code that I listed above.

Thats interesting. How much did you pay for your sensor.

Was you getting the code that I listed above.

I don't have Vagcom yet-APS advised me that an EGT fault was coming up. They deleted it and said when I come back the following week and it's still there then its best to replace it. It was £182. I think mine might be spark plugs or something though as I'm not getting heavy fuel consumption.

I don't have Vagcom yet-APS advised me that an EGT fault was coming up. They deleted it and said when I come back the following week and it's still there then its best to replace it. It was £182. I think mine might be spark plugs or something though as I'm not getting heavy fuel consumption.

You would have a misfire if your spark plugs were faulty. You may have a vacuum or boost leak somewhere if you think its still not 100%.

Have you checked the wire which connects to the EGT sensor under the inlet manifold. Would be worth getting your car put on the computer again to see if you have any other fault codes now.

You would have a misfire if your spark plugs were faulty. You may have a vacuum or boost leak somewhere if you think its still not 100%.

Have you checked the wire which connects to the EGT sensor under the inlet manifold. Would be worth getting your car put on the computer again to see if you have any other fault codes now.

I haven't no-is this possible without takingthe manifold off?

I had all the pipes under the manifold done at the same time and I've got all the Forge silicone hoses and replaced all other pipes as I've had leaks since I bought it. Also done the plugs recently too. Will get it on a computer and rolling roaded next month as it's annoying it's not running bow it was and should given the amount of things I've replaced.

any one got a egt sensor for sale as its very had to find one second hand tryed loads of places

Hi Guys

I 've been suffering with EGT problems these past few days.

Given the original poster's error I would first check wiring to the G235 and check/clean the earth points under the battery and make sure the pins in the connector are tight and make a good contact. Try and trace the braided cable all the way to the turbo to ensure it's not damaged or restricted.

My current problem is I was hitting the EGT limit (Exhaust gas temperature control bank 1 limit attained) way too often so myself and JBS decided the EGT sensor (G235) could be to blame, I had changed it only about 2 years ago and it cost £170, it fixed my problem at that time (17863 - Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor 1 (G235): Implausible Signal) but I was pee'd off that it could be causing my current problems, so I had to eliminate it and as you say there are hard to find secondhand so I went to TPS and brought one.

Current price is £171 inc VAT, despite having contacts in the trade I could get nothing off it, they really don't make a lot on these.

So I replaced it and it made no difference, temps were still as before, not happy. Started to think the k04 hybrid I have was the problem but then looked at blocked or collapsed cat/backbox and found a small leak on the downpipe to cat flange, so I'm pretty sure my problem with high temps was due to a leak in the exhaust, as when fixed temps are lower, I'm keeping an very close eye on things at the mo.

I will be putting my old one on ebay soonish, not sure of what price I should be asking, but will let you know if you're interested.

This is my old one, brought in 2009, manufactured in 2007. Part number ends with B.
IMG_20110424_102530.jpg

IMG_20110424_102432.jpg

This is the new one, note the D on the part number.
IMG_20110419_181339.jpg

IMG_20110424_102500.jpg

Regards
Jimbo

so your saying its not the sensor at fault on yours it could be a exhaust leak..

In my case it appears that way, but as said keeping a close eye on it, gonna stick it on my mates ramp today and check it out again.

With mine on idle from starting up cold the egt's were reaching 600 C, when I found the small leak (could see smoke coming out at the top of the flange on my blueflame downpipe to my blueflame cat, very hard to see) I fixed it by cleaning the flanges and exhaust paste and tested from cold again and the temps went up to a more happier 350 C. Did some research and from what I can find it does look like exhaust leaks can cause high egt's, maybe someone on here with more experience can confirm or not.

You must defo check out the basics first to eliminate them.

Regards
Jimbo

ok mate cheers will do not done any logs on the egt temps i just get a error code on vag com

17863 - Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor 1 (G235): Implausible Signal
P1455 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

No Prob dude, do a clean and check on the earth points under the battery and check the pins are tight on the connector to the G235. Log Block 112, 031 and 001, 112 shows EGT, do a run in 4th WOT and stick the logs on here for people to have a look at.

thanks for your info quinnj2. My exhaust is actually leaking very slightly from the downpipe to de cat. Im going to sort that out first now and then check the connector/wiring and earth when I get my *** into gear.

i found my car idles better with this sensor un pluged so it must be sensor faulty so if any one has one thats working for sale pm me please ..

Does anyone know how to remove the sensor from the car. Its all unplugged but something is stopping it on the side of the engine.

Anyone know what else must be removed.

I got it out now.

Ye I know what you mean with them clips lol.... annoying.

I got another sensor and just installed it. Just went and done some logging and my EGT's and lambda values are more realistic. Hopefully the code doesnt come back.

i just recived my sensor today just about to go and fit it in a min and clear code and hope for the best.. s3 nattie how much you pay for your sensor mate

I got mine from a forum member buddy. Let us know how you get on.

I got mine from a forum member buddy. Let us know how you get on.

all fitted now have to wait and see if i get error code back.. what a pain in the ars to remove the old one along the side of engine ended up cutting the cable and pull it out..

all fitted now have to wait and see if i get error code back.. what a pain in the ars to remove the old one along the side of engine ended up cutting the cable and pull it out..

LOL It is annoying getting the wire out ini. I was just about to cut it but I thought il bare with it for bit longer and managed to get it out in one piece lol.

Let me know what your max EGT is next time you log.

How is your car now that you've replaced the EGT sensor? any better?

fault code has gone mate but car still not idleing properly it gets worse after i been on motorway think i got a blow in exhaust some where but wont find out till i get it on ramp saturday.. but not had code since fitted the new sensor

no mate not really getting about 20mpg round town i think i need to get the exhaust checked as its no right

Just had this fault appear on mine, 17863. Cars been knocking/pinking on boost now and then. Would this cause it? I did notice I have an exhaust leak after the cat where the Milltek joins. Going to sort it at the weekend.

I do have a rattling back there sometimes. I just put it down to the harder mounts. I'll check it out cheers. This damn car...

so if the sensor somehow comes loose from the turbo, it can cause the car to run lean????

It won't run leaner than the map is requesting unless there is an issue with the fuel supply... if anything it will run richer from lack of an EGT probe

<tuffty/>

Hi guys. 2002 BAM S3 here.

From reading the thread, I have the classic symptoms... rough idle, loss of power through the gears and terrible fuel consumption. Also, struggles to start after being driven normally. (possible quality of fuel issue?)

New sensor time? I have been running it on 95 ron for the past couple of weeks but being as its mapped to V-power, would this matter enough to cause the issues now occurring? I'll keep a check on it over this next 1/2 tank & report back.

Thanks guys.
Joe

Any fault codes? have you logged EGT sensor to see what its doing? need to establish that this is actually causing you problems before spanking out on a new sensor as they are around 180 quid to buy...

<tuffty/>

Yeah, I'll post them tonight. Screenshot them, wiped clean and the lights come back up again this morning (which I expected tbh).

I really am a NOOB with VAGCOM but I can get my way around the basic functions but never actually "Logged" anything just literally flicked through the channels when the engines ticking over / scanning the modules/banks etc on a short scan per section.

I've only got the £10 wire from ebay for scanning /logging of codes etc but its the same 4 codes previously found on this thread. I'll upload the picture of the fault codes and any future help would be a massive saviour.

@<tuffty/> when you mention "have you logged EGT sensor" as silly as I sounds, what do you mean? I've never used to "Log graph" function on the VAGCOM program but will this logging give a reading of the car/ whats going on to aid the current issue(s)?

Thank you.
Joe

look at block 112 for egt..
report what temps on running... cruise would be 400-500, 1100 would be broken, and would -40.. i've seen both

This is what VAGCOM is throwing up.

Any help would be a massive help. Also (as you can tell by the results) Fans are still working but making a royal humming sound...

Hmmmm :/

Thanks gents / ladies.
Joe

Attachments

• Capture123.JPG
    Capture123.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 1,054
This is what VAGCOM is throwing up.

Any help would be a massive help. Also (as you can tell by the results) Fans are still working but making a royal humming sound...

Hmmmm :/

Thanks gents / ladies.
Joe

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/17704/P1296/004758
17704/P1296/004758 - Error in Mapped Cooling System

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/17863/P1455
17863/P1455 - Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor 1 (G235): Implausible Signal

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/17511/P1103/004355
17511/P1103/004355 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Heating; B1 S1: Performance too Low

Thermostat needs changing, EGT sensor sounds like its on its way out and maybe due to the over rich fuelling the lambda probe has bought the farm...

Have you cleared the codes to see which ones return in case these are legacy of a previous issue that was fixed? if not, clear them and see which come back...

If they all come back then change stat, replace lambda probe, clear codes and see if the EGT one returns... if it does then unfortunately you might have to fork out for one...

<tuffty/>