Definitive MPG on a S3. The Truth.

paddy

Reaction score
I have had my S3 for a year and never reset the DIS on mode 2.
I have had Stg 1 Revo for 8 months of the year
I do all types of driving. I estimate M/way about 15%@ Journeys of 100miles +, fast A-roads about 50% and the rest, traffic and local lanes etc.
I always use V-power or Tesco 99
The car is DSG

DIS is reading...
10,200 miles
305 hours 25 mins
Ave 33mph
Ave 29.5mpg

So there you have it, pretty well the most realistic figures you are going to get for a S3
HTH's someone :)

I have had my S3 for a year and never reset the DIS on mode 2.
I have had Stg 1 Revo for 8 months of the year
I do all types of driving. I estimate M/way about 15%@ Journeys of 100miles +, fast A-roads about 50% and the rest, traffic and local lanes etc.
I always use V-power or Tesco 99
The car is DSG

DIS is reading...
10,200 miles
305 hours 25 mins
Ave 33mph
Ave 29.5mpg

So there you have it, pretty well the most realistic figures you are going to get for a S3
HTH's someone :)

Unfortunately my DIS over reads by about 5mpg the entire time! Have you checked it?

Nicely put Paddy.
Mine generally averages about the same,which is probably surprising for the power,but of course much of the time it's just noodling around in traffic,and it's easy to get 30mpg that way.
Give it some hoof though and it goes right down.....

They need to build an engine that will give us 50mpg on a run, rev to 9000rpm and have bags of low down torque oh and do 0-60 in <6 seconds. I would sell a kidney for that.

Make it in 4s and I might join that offer....

Make it in 4s and I might join that offer....
lol.. are you sure about that mate? I reckon yours has gotta be in the sub 4's by now? and I bet you haven't sold a kidney just yet?!

lol.. are you sure about that mate? I reckon yours has gotta be in the sub 4's by now? and I bet you haven't sold a kidney just yet?!
I might just have paid the market value of one......

Reactions: RedDejavu
Ive done this with the DIS since new as well:

Mileage 11,876
Ave 23.6mpg

I do boot the car everywhere, and drive it like its meant to be driven!

Ive done this with the DIS since new as well:

Mileage 11,876
Ave 23.6mpg

I average roughy the same. cars on 6k, only had it since early march. I'm always giving it the boot. loves it!

I still don't see why MPG is even used anymore. We fill our cars by the litre and pay for it by the litre.
If someone tells me I can get 30 miles to every gallon it means nothing to my life without carrying out a calculation first.
But tell me how many miles to the litre (or even tank) and I'll know how much its costing me to drive X amount of miles.

if it still switches on and you still have money in the kitty then you haven't driven it enough :)

Ive done this with the DIS since new as well:<br>
<br>
Mileage 11,876<br>
Ave 23.6mpg<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
Well you either spend your life sitting in traffic in which case you have the wrong car or you have a real problem somewhere with the one you have...like a neighbour with a length of hose or a leaky petrol tank. :)

I still don't see why MPG is even used anymore. We fill our cars by the litre and pay for it by the litre.
If someone tells me I can get 30 miles to every gallon it means nothing to my life without carrying out a calculation first.
But tell me how many miles to the litre (or even tank) and I'll know how much its costing me to drive X amount of miles.

Ads, this is England mate not some tin pot Euro type place. miles per gallon = imperial x imperial....Miles a litre would be imperial x metric ? Now if you want to de value our great British mile and turn it in to some sort of worthless foreign kilometre then your sissy litres might make sense to a Frenchman...
Why we have to buy our petrol in litres when our milk and beer comes in pints is any ones guess ? probably a hang up of some half hearted Labour policy to get us all to be foreign but we all know a litre is just 1.75975326 pints so its an easy calculation. while we are at it put air in your tires not bars for a smoother ride and measure your **** in feet not millimetres like a man :)

Ads, this is England mate not some tin pot Euro type place. miles per gallon = imperial x imperial....Miles a litre would be imperial x metric ? Now if you want to de value our great British mile and turn it in to some sort of worthless foreign kilometre then your sissy litres might make sense to a Frenchman...
Why we have to buy our petrol in litres when our milk and beer comes in pints is any ones guess ? probably a hang up of some half hearted Labour policy to get us all to be foreign but we all know a litre is just 1.75975326 pints so its an easy calculation. while we are at it put air in your tires not bars for a smoother ride and measure your **** in feet not millimetres like a man :)

Lets say I only wanted to fuel up for 60 mile journey.
If my car told me my average consumption is 7 miles per litre then I could go to the petrol station and put in say 10 litres to cover my 60 mile journey and a bit more.
But as it stands I've got to think "right, my car does 30 miles per gallon, there's about 4.5 litres per gallon, so 30 divided by 4.5 is 6.6666666666 and rounded up to the nearest mile is 7, I want to do 60 miles so 60 divided by 7 is 8.57 therefore I need to put 10 litres in my car".
Half way through that equation I would've thought "F*CK IT, I'm filling this b*tch up to the brim, I ain't got time for all this math and sh*t"... and that's what 'they' want. It's 'their' trick to make us spend more on fuel upfront.

So I'll take the 'tin pot Euro' stylee please. :yes:

Last edited:
Just think how johnny foreigner feels having to buy 18 inch tires for his 18 inch wheels because no one makes 45.7cm tires :)

<br>
<br>
Well you either spend your life sitting in traffic in which case you have the wrong car or you have a real problem somewhere with the one you have...like a neighbour with a length of hose or a leaky petrol tank. :)

Lol, my problem is I drive it like I stole it. Whats the point of having 350+bhp on tap and not using it? Might as well have a TDi Focus!

I might just have paid the market value of one......
according to an article where was a Chinese fellow who sold one to buy an ipad and iphone they said the going rate was around 23k, cant remember if it was £s $s or Yens. Apparently hes in a bad way now.

according to an article where was a Chinese fellow who sold one to buy an ipad and iphone they said the going rate was around 23k, cant remember if it was £s $s or Yens. Apparently hes in a bad way now.
Sounds about right....the kidney I mean.

Averaged 27.2 mpg on mine according to DIS (2 years ownership), about 20% MWay driving. Happy enough for the performance :)

I don't seem to be able to make it more than 500 miles without finding a reason to disconnect the battery so I have no idea what the overall consumption has been on my S3 since the DIS keeps getting reset.

Mind you, coming from a diesel Mazda to an S3 I have been going out of my way to avoid figuring out how much fuel I'm getting through! My techniques to date include:

1. Always leave both computers on the DIS showing the range - if you are cycling through the screens for some reason you won't accidentally catch sight of the MPG and have a heart attack.

2. Always buy lots of junk at the petrol station when you fill the car up - if you find yourself looking at a bank statement and wondering why most of your income seems to be going to Shell you can always think "ahh yes, must be all those Polos I've been buying..."

Definitive Truth:

Paddy drives in his slippers.

Through the Werthers originals and Tartan blanket away and you might get another couple yards to the gallon mate.:racer:

Owned mine since October and mines says 25.3mpg, never been reset. Always in traffic as soon as i've done about 2miles. Revo remap stage1 Manual.

Definitive Truth:

Paddy drives in his slippers.

Through the Werthers originals and Tartan blanket away and you might get another couple yards to the gallon mate.:racer:

Says the man with an estate and a storage pack :)

TBH mate i get more fun in the Vivaro at 80mph than i could ever get in the S3 at 180mph these days :)
I cant see the S3 lasting long now as i never use it any more.

Had mine since 1st September 2011. Approx 6,400 miles, most of em along Notts ring road. 25.3 mpg overall. Do get more on a decent run though so not bothered in the slightest about it as I 'love it long time!' LOL
S-Tronic FTW!