Anyone know how to rebuild Brembo Calipers?

Westy

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have managed to get a set of Porsche Boxster front calipers for an absolute bargain £180 but they could do with new seals and powder coating.

I've done a little search on the net for guides but I just seem to find links to seal kits as opposed to helpful guides on how to remove pistons, replace seals, and clean up the caliper.

I have read that it's best to get the caliper powder coated before doing the rebuild so I'll get this done first.

Has anyone got any experience with rebuilding calipers, any tips, or guides?

I did find this one guide from the lotus owners club but I was more interested in a Porsche specific one if possible:

How to Rebuild a Brembo Caliper - SELOC TechWiki

Isnt there a guy on the mkiv forum who refurbs brembos might be worth getting in contact with him, I refurbed the audi 80 brakes i fitted to my mk1 golf, used a bike pump to push the pistons out removed the seals and had the calipers sand blasted, then I cleaned and painted, then refitted seals and pot. Not sure if theres any special method for brembos or 4 pots but my refurbed brakes never failed me.

Isnt there a guy on the mkiv forum who refurbs brembos might be worth getting in contact with him, I refurbed the audi 80 brakes i fitted to my mk1 golf, used a bike pump to push the pistons out removed the seals and had the calipers sand blasted, then I cleaned and painted, then refitted seals and pot. Not sure if theres any special method for brembos or 4 pots but my refurbed brakes never failed me.

Yeah Dave, I've been told he doesn't do it any more as he is too busy with his actual day job lol. I might contact him and see if he'll be able to help.

I've contacted DaveB so I'll see what he says. He used to do a full rebuild and supplie the bolts and carriers for about £200. I've calculated that onece they are on my car and working the whole kit would have only cost around £500 ;)

I'm fairly sure Dave is out of the brake business completely at the moment, he's a commercial Airline Pilot by day, so spends a lot of time out of the country.

I'm fairly sure Dave is out of the brake business completely at the moment, he's a commercial Airline Pilot by day, so spends a lot of time out of the country.

That's a big shame. I've got now problem with rebuilding the calipers myself with the guides above and it will save me some cash but I was hoping to source some carriers from him.

That's a big shame. I've got now problem with rebuilding the calipers myself with the guides above and it will save me some cash but I was hoping to source some carriers from him.

Cant bill sort you out with carriers?

I've found Brembo piston removal wrenches but they cost a bomb!

images_1991_1.jpg

£402 for the full set of wrenches :tocktock:

ive got air gun but live miles away from ya m8 sorry.

Could you hook them upto a car tyre and use the pressure from the tyre to pop the pistons?

Can you also remove the pipe connect both sides up and pop out one side at a time?

I'm still struggling to get the other pistons out and there doesn't seem to be any piston removal tools about on the net except the stupidly priced Brembo ones. I'm a bit reluctant to use 2 screw drivers as I dont want to damage the pistons.

Anyone got any other bright ideas?

Your replacing the seals arnt you? if so see if cutting the seals out helps, get the caliper in a vice and try using molegrips to prise the pot out, you could use paper towel to stop the grips from marking the pots..

Your replacing the seals arnt you? if so see if cutting the seals out helps, get the caliper in a vice and try using molegrips to prise the pot out, you could use paper towel to stop the grips from marking the pots..

Already cut the seals but the pistons are extremely stiff to pull out. I really can see any alternative but to prize them out with screw drivers or grips like you say but this will increase the risk of damage. I'll give it a go later in the week.

Grips on the pistons??
I would not want to put any thing on the piston that could cause damage or marks.
That would wear away the seals and cause them to leak.

Are you unable to do the screw driver as in the link above?

I've not read all of this thread so i might have missed something.

Grips on the pistons??
I would not want to put any thing on the piston that could cause damage or marks.

I did use the 2 screw drivers like the link above but it is still quite risky and isn't as easy as the above picture makes it out to be. I'll try again and see how I get on.

Grips on the pistons??

Thats why i said use some paper towel, if you have an old bike inner tube you could use this too, cut some stips and wrap around the grip or pot itself

I did use the 2 screw drivers like the link above but it is still quite risky and isn't as easy as the above picture makes it out to be. I'll try again and see how I get on.

Needs a vice or a desk clamp by the looks it.
A helpfull friend as well might work.

You could put tape round the end of the screwdrivers to help protect the surfice.

Needs a vice or a desk clamp by the looks it.
A helpfull friend as well might work.

You could put tape round the end of the screwdrivers to help protect the surfice.

I'll try the tape on the screw drivers. I tried a helpful friend and he turned out not to be very helpful and got me in this situation in the first place lol.

Yeah update for you:

These calipers are a pain to refurb. I am struggling to remove the dust boots around the pistons as they are squeezed between the piston shaft.

I called a brake company called Biggred hoping that they would refurb them for me but even they won't touch 4 pot brembos as they are a pain!

I am trying to find a refurb company that will do brembos.

Can you seperate the two halfs of the calipers?
If you can seperate the two halfs of the calipers and get a slid hammer over piton end (where the screw drivers go), I think that might do it.

Can you seperate the two halfs of the calipers?
If you can seperate the two halfs of the calipers and get a slid hammer over piton end (where the screw drivers go), I think that might do it.

They're 1 piece calipers which is the beauty of them. It means they are lighter and more ridgid than the 2 piece ones. Getting the pistons out is Childs play compared to getting the dust boots out! :(

There's sometimes a slip ring around the bottom of the boot.. I'm refurbing mr2 calipers at the moment (side project..) and i got a reseal kit for them so i just pulled the old rubbers out. Thought i got everything out until i looked at the replacement seals and seen the slip rings, they just pushed with a screwdriver once they were located.