Suspension.. (sorry)

5teve L

Reaction score
Am I right in thinking not all the kits on ebay fit the S3 that say they do ? Is this because of the Quattro system or something else ?
I thought I saw something about this somewhere but can't find it.. so sorry if it's been covered before.

Basically my shocks are shot & I'm skint so was looking at cheap coilovers to get me by for now, don't want to go stupid low, just about 30mm prob... I would have gone for the koni's but like I say I'm skint at the mo, could prob rustle up £250-£300.... anyone got any reccomendations ?

Cheers
Steve

Steve, don't buy cheap coilovers, you'll regret it (in my opinion).

If your shocks are dead, find a kind member on here who will sell you old replacements for a low figure. Or buy replacements. If you're doing suspension, do it properly.

But I'd like to lower the car by 25-30mm at the same time if I'm splitting the shocks & springs, plus I thought I read on here that the standard shocks don't like lowered springs..... The coilovers, if they lasted a year that would do for that sort of cash, I'd have gone for Koni shocks & H&R springs but money is tight but my shocks are deffo gone as when I go over a bump I can feel the carr wander a bit, you know the feeling you get when the shocks don't work as they should.

i cant stand those generic ebay cheapy kits

dont gmax do a spring damper kit for your car?

Anybody got any links to traders that sell kits then ?
Or any places I can get some decent dampers?
Cheers

But I'd like to lower the car by 25-30mm at the same time if I'm splitting the shocks & springs, plus I thought I read on here that the standard shocks don't like lowered springs..... The coilovers, if they lasted a year that would do for that sort of cash, I'd have gone for Koni shocks & H&R springs but money is tight but my shocks are deffo gone as when I go over a bump I can feel the carr wander a bit, you know the feeling you get when the shocks don't work as they should.

41+VAT for new rears from GSF, bit more for fronts. I would go with that fella. If you get non OEM parts that are that cheap, they are likely to damage other components. Don't lower it, if your dampers are shot (as mine are) then, from what I've been told by the other two kind chaps in this thread, you will notice a massive improvement in the cars handling.

I'll look into it, thanks, I may chance standard shocks with some H&R springs.. get me out of trouble for a while at least, think I'll do the drops at the same time..

No worries pal. I'm in the same situation, just with a little more to spend, so it's easier for me to suggest the above.

Give you an idea, I'm looking at new shocks, but unsure on lowering the car. So looking at just getting B6 Bilstein shocks and using standard springs. £500 + fitting.

This is something that I need doing soon too. I think my shocks are ok to last a few laps of the ring next month then I'll be looking to replace them. I'm thinking about leaving the ride height standard too but only because I dont want to pay another £200+ on adjustable tie bars. How low is it that you can go before tie bars are needed?

Ahhhhhhh. FK, no way. Killed my Clio :( never again.

Westle, I believe it's as soon as you lower the car at all. The exact reason I'm looking at £500 on Bilstein B6s. Other wise it's £500 on B8s, £200 on H&R springs and £250 on tie bars . . . +fitting, tracking etc.

Ahhhhhhh. FK, no way. Killed my Clio :( never again.

Westle, I believe it's as soon as you lower the car at all. The exact reason I'm looking at £500 on Bilstein B6s. Other wise it's £500 on B8s, £200 on H&R springs and £250 on tie bars . . . +fitting, tracking etc.

My mate has been using them for MONTHS and they'e been fine. Admittedly not on an S3, on a Golf 4, but still spot on none the less....

:tapedshut:

welly. stop being a window licker and stay away from the FK products

they make headlight covers and fake m3 mirrors. you cannot trust people like that to make suspension and it has been proven OVER AND OVER that FK cannot make suspension

seriously, do some research. avoid fk at all costs

He speaketh the truth. Matt, that answers your question on why I hated my old car.

thanks matt. On that note i might get some of those fk kits. They look very good.

Welly, personal experience, don't. I trust you on all things S3 related, but trust me on this one.

These ******** have a photos of me on their site....

Look!

47557071_72cbfa4d27.jpg

Welly, personal experience, don't. I trust you on all things S3 related, but trust me on this one.

OK. Done. I faith in you lot, I shall put the wallet down.....

:thumbsup:

EDIT: Although some fake M3 mirrors sound good - I may buy some :rock:

Last edited:
I go by people's personal experiences dude....

They really that bad?

thinking about them makes my skin crawl. i was helping a guy out with some fk coilovers on his golf, they had only been on for two months and were corroded to absolute buggery, totally unable to adjust them, and then the collars fell apart

a friend of mine bought a second hand set, two were seized solid. theyre possibly worse than those £180 no brand sh1tters you get off ebay (one size fits all crap). FK are an absolute joke.

for reference, i took off the eibach pro coilovers from my golf, theyd been on there 18 months, maybe more. i cleaned then up with rags and gt85 and they came up looking new. after two months, the FKs looked ready for scrap, and they like to blow seals (who doesnt) and they seize. waste of money

they tell lies. they make baby jesus cry. that guy in cumbria yesterday, the man with the gun, guess what suspension he had

that guy in cumbria yesterday, the man with the gun, guess what suspension he had

I thought the gun he was using was in fact a modified FK Coilover? The strut had been disassembled, and used as a gun barrel.

They found him in the woods with it there after a bullet had seized on the way out, and he gave up trying to remove it.

Just what I heard....

Too early for jokes?

Never too early for jokes matey, the first Michael Jackson joke I had came through to my phone about an hour after he pegged it.

I forget which one - something to do with him being sent to a plastic recycling centre as opposed to burial.

Never too early for jokes matey, the first Michael Jackson joke I had came through to my phone about an hour after he pegged it.

I forget which one - something to do with him being sent to a plastic recycling centre as opposed to burial.

So he is no longer a risk to children - I got that one as well. Lol.

So he is no longer a risk to children - I got that one as well. Lol.

Glad to see it did the rounds..... :)

People come up with them so ****** fast it's untrue.

I had loads about Jeremy Beadle as well...

i think im bringing the tone down on this forum nicely :p

I've heard good things about the KW kit from various people to be fair. Good, and very responsive.