Leon 6 speed in an A3 150bhp

1animal1

The Clar!! it mouves!!!
Reaction score
Just wondering if the above is possible, id have thought it would just bolt on.....only reason i ask is the misus is missing her 6 speed cooper S and wants 6 speed in the A3 if it can be done at a low cost...... she's not bothered about 0-60 sprints so no love lost regards the 2nd to 3rd detriment

more so for her satisfaction and also maybe make it a tad smoother once mapped

Tim

it's possible Tim, but it's not cheap at all.

You'd need a 6 speed box for a start, which will set you back a good £600 or more, plus you'll then need a 6 speed clutch/flywheel, the shifter/cable unit as well as the actuation on top of the box is very different to a 5 speed, you'll also need 6 speed driveshafts as well, and the subframe has to be dropped to get the 6 speed box in/out (i took one out of a leon 2 weeks ago- ******* job)

to be honest,. having driven several 6 speeds and obviously loads of 5 speeds, I actually prefer the 5 speed, 1st gear in the 6 speed is useless, and due to the wide spread of torque from a well mapped ko3S the closer gears just arn't needed. 5th is ultimately the same as 6th.

Probably cost about a grand all in for the upgrade

chars matey, i was after some first hand comparisons...... id read on a golf forum about a chap having one installed for £300 supply and fit so wasn't sure if that was a straight case of switch the box and job done...or not

blimey, that sounds STUPIDLY cheap, my mate with the Leon blew his box up when we were at the ring, and was quoted £900 for a full rebuild, or £1200 to supply a rebuilt box. I've seen them going second hand for £600 ish with all the bits, but that's not including the shafts, which would of course need different CV joints and everything.....

Personally, I don't think it's worth it at all, the 6 speeds are known to be weaker than the 5 speeds too, you hear of many more failling....

ah okies fella.... will leave it be then if im gonna have to fanny about like that...is that definate then, new driveshafts?

Prob gonna get her a short shift (well mainly for me) as the A3 throw is massive compared with mine :(

odd, I don't think the A3 throw should be any different! haha.

Do you know about the £20 genuine audi short shifter that'll fit the car? or have I jsut saved you even more money? :)

yes the TT shifter?

i did but assumed it wouldnt shorten the throw as much as say a forge item...or am i wrong

yes the S3 box is definately a lot closer regards to gear feel....massive difference