A3 Sportback - insurance

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I have just had my insurance renewal quote from Saga (Yes I know you have to be old to insure with them). Last year they quoted a good figure when I did comparisons at £316. This year their price was £381 but included with the documents was a Price Guarantee which said "If you receive a lower quote for like-for-like cover, we'll beat it".

I got an online quote from Aviva for like-for-like cover which came out at £269.25.

So I phoned Sage this morning at they agreed to beat the Aviva amount by £1 and the renewal will now be £268.25

So a saving of £113.25 and worth considering for anyone over 50!

I have just had my insurance renewal quote from Saga (Yes I know you have to be old to insure with them). Last year they quoted a good figure when I did comparisons at £316. This year their price was £381 but included with the documents was a Price Guarantee which said "If you receive a lower quote for like-for-like cover, we'll beat it".

I got an online quote from Aviva for like-for-like cover which came out at £269.25.

So I phoned Sage this morning at they agreed to beat the Aviva amount by £1 and the renewal will now be £268.25

So a saving of £113.25 and worth considering for anyone over 50!

Did you declare the remap Dave?

When I first had it done I phoned Saga and said about it and said it was mainly for increased fuel economy (which it is of course) and they were not realy interested and did not want any extra premium. Perhaps they think us 'oldies' are not interested in the extra performace!

Either that or they think I have such a good driving record that I can easily handle a slight increase in power output !!!!!!!!

That sounds quite a lot compared to the fact that I only pay £320 for my S3.

That sounds quite a lot compared to the fact that I only pay £320 for my S3.

How old is your S3. The age of a car can make quite a difference especially as Saga will replace the car with a brand new one if it is stolen for up to two years rather than the normal one year.

Also what cover have you got and how much is your excess? Does yours include Legal Protection, foreign travel, personal accident cover, vandalism cover that does not effect you no claims bonus, protected NCD, emergency any driver cover, £1000 personal belongings, unlimited cover for audio equipment, replacement car etc etc. It important to compare like with like and with a car of similar value.

Last edited:
Think my dad beats you on price there on his 2.0 TDI 140 Sport Sportback... He got insurance through RAC for £203...

it is crazy that they dont send you their cheapest price straight away!

Last edited:
Think my dad beats you on price there on his 2.0 TDI 140 Sport Sportback... He got insurance through RAC for £203...

My parents picked up their new 1.8TFSI DSG Sport Sportback on Friday - their insurance £196, think theirs is Saga !

Don't forget to declare all the options, even the factory fitted ones. Some insurers don't cover all items anyway, so if you total it in the first 12 months you get a replacement std spec car, not what you had. ALWAYS check

Yes, when I was insured with Norwich Union I used to receive my renewal and then go to their online quote systen and always get a better quote!!

How old is your Dad's A3. Age can make quite a difference because of the overall value. I could easily have got a cheaper premium if I wanted to have a larger excess. My current excess is £300. The other thing I like about Saga is the cover they provide and the fact that you deal with a UK call-centre.

I've just done an online quote with the RAC and for similar, but slight lower level of cover, with a £400 excess (their minimum) their price was £252. Slightly lower than Saga but the level of cover is better with Saga and the excess is lower. But it does show it's important to shop around and not just accept the renewal you are given.

I would be careful regarding the remap. I think you have misled them slightly, albeit unintentionally. You might say it's primarily for economy, but we can all say that! If it is a modification, and not declared on your schedule, then they are more than entitled to withold payment if you need to make a claim. I'm sure 90% (at least) of people with a remap don't declare it, as an insurance company is unlikely to discover this later, but I wouldn't assume you're fully insured unless you have documentation to state the remap is known by them.

wow, can't wait for my insurance to get down.

When I got my A3 the insurance was £3400. Now I have 1 years no claims I got a much better quote with RAC, as they only wanted £1600. An incredible jump, but I am only 18! :p

wow, can't wait for my insurance to get down.

When I got my A3 the insurance was £3400. Now I have 1 years no claims I got a much better quote with RAC, as they only wanted £1600. An incredible jump, but I am only 18! :p

Christ, insurance for kids is getting silly. I paid under £1000 fully comp for my first car back in 1996...

Turning 30 is great, my insurance was £400 this year :)