8L MFSW Conversion

Amazing and just what I suspected.

I’ve recently done the r36 and had it all worked up sans canbus adaptor. MFSW controls no worky.

Once adaptor was wired up correctly all was peachy so I figured this was the same since same generation.

View attachment 169754

What model number or name of canbus adaptor did you use @warren9022 ?

Not my setup mate, I’m sure @Dohcwp will oblige with the details.

Reactions: IPG
Is there a way to change the priority on start up of the RNS-E just noticed every time I start the car now it shows the compass position on the DIS. As apposed to the default, air temp, miles remaining fuel, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there a way to change the priority on start up of the RNS-E just noticed every time I start the car now it shows the compass position on the DIS. As apposed to the default, air temp, miles remaining fuel, etc.

Just go into the settings and turn COMPASS off.

Reactions: S3AMJ
Just go into the settings and turn COMPASS off.

Thanks mate, I did find that in the end. Which then works. Which then made me think hmmm FIS Controller, but that still doesn’t work

My turn.

C0F30417 B011 4FB0 B9FE FF42E44B4F29

I know it’s an 8P dual stage bags but I wanted FBSW - I will convert to single stage when I can get my hands on one.
For now I’ll wire up so no airbag light shows.

This will be without RNSE but aftermarket head unit so I’m thinking in its place to have a canbus translator module ... or I’ll have to try and figure out my 8p canbus controller.

You could get a cheap polo 6n2 airbag and use the internals inside the 8p cover

You could get a cheap polo 6n2 airbag and use the internals inside the 8p cover
Do you have the details of how to remove the cover?

I was looking into this before and found a black wheel but it was dual stage and the fitment different to the 8V

<tuffty/>

I have lots of pictures on an old Iphone from when I did mine a few years ago.

On the 8p/8j bag you have to drill out some rivets to remove the cover, I’m not familiar with an 8v airbag at all so couldn’t say how that comes apart

Have stacked gateway and SWCM here

Attachments

• 67DADE29-5E5F-4A3C-8F72-2D77D36E1818.jpeg
    67DADE29-5E5F-4A3C-8F72-2D77D36E1818.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 260
My understanding of the gateway (and I’m open to correction on this) is that you could connect infotainment can to it (even drivetrain can to it) and the diagnostic socket then you could scan and program modules like the swcm for example if it did not come pre coded and it needed to be coded to allow mfsw. But the 8L is too old and uses k-line for diagnosis, if you had a more modern engine and a Dsg gearbox I think the gateway would definitely be necessary.

My understanding of the gateway (and I’m open to correction on this) is that you could connect infotainment can to it (even drivetrain can to it) and the diagnostic socket then you could scan and program modules like the swcm for example if it did not come pre coded and it needed to be coded to allow mfsw. But the 8L is too old and uses k-line for diagnosis, if you had a more modern engine and a Dsg gearbox I think the gateway would definitely be necessary.

So I shouldn’t need it just to do the steering wheel upgrade and have functioning buttons.

Right ordered a new connector block from Audi but didn’t come with any pins in it so ordered a 2nd one of eBay pins 19,20 are a larger wire what size wire have you’s Used as 1mm seems a bit thin for the it

Attachments

• DCE3C8F1-129C-43B7-B7CF-3A0A03892B7E.jpeg
    DCE3C8F1-129C-43B7-B7CF-3A0A03892B7E.jpeg
    289.6 KB · Views: 269
Right ordered a new connector block from Audi but didn’t come with any pins in it so ordered a 2nd one of eBay pins 19,20 are a larger wire what size wire have you’s Used as 1mm seems a bit thin for the it

Mine was pre-wired, looked about 1mm cable if I remember rightly.

How much was this?

I’m thinking to try find connectors that will just push on and then heat shrink...

The connector of eBay was £8 delivered probably cheaper than the one I got from audi

Would anyone be keen on the wiring of 8P bags/horn? or are we not interested?

Thinking about it If it’s wired to the correct primary charge it should be fine, the secondary charge just reinflates the same bag in a second impact from another signal from a dual stage airbag controller. I would not wire both like some people do as the single stage 8l airbag control module would be trying to detonate both dual stage charges at the same time in an accident but they may not even detonate? the voltage sent to detonate the charge from the 8l controller may not be enough to simultaneously detonate both as it’s split between them, I’d rather have that voltage sent to the primary charge and have that inflate the bag.

I got an already blown airbag with my flat bottom wheel so that was why I rebuilt it with polo single stage airbag and a new cover.

I have both wired. I think it’s the only way to have oem function of airbag light warning.

I have both wired. I think it’s the only way to have oem function of airbag light warning.
I can't see how that is... there are two charges, if you wire just the one thats no different to a single stage essentially... 8L airbag controller will still only see the one bag...

Wiring the two in parallel will drop the overall resistance which may have an adverse affect... I am no expert of course but I can't see any reason why you couldn't just use the one bag

<tuffty/>

Great job mate looks good, i've had my flat bottom wheel from a 8p but i've always had the airbag light glowing on the dash board as its a dual stage airbag, i take it all the mfsw buttons work and sds is fully functional? may try to swap out my 8P mfsw to your setup as the airbag light is annoying and not sure how safe it is either...

Great job mate looks good, i've had my flat bottom wheel from a 8p but i've always had the airbag light glowing on the dash board as its a dual stage airbag, i take it all the mfsw buttons work and sds is fully functional? may try to swap out my 8P mfsw to your setup as the airbag light is annoying and not sure how safe it is either...

Yes mate, all fully functioning.

Don't know if this helps guys but some rough photo's of the MFSW instructions from my RNS-E manual...
IMG 20181123 121616 1

IMG 20181123 121623 1

IMG 20181123 121636 1

IMG 20181123 122214

Hope you can make it out :blush:

Reactions: warren9022
Well that was a good find

833DAE29 9CCC 4010 A88E 447C1F4C4262
E1AD3D57 BADD 4ADE 8747 0C358EAB2485
It “locks” in quite nicely because of that tab that comes down behind the legs. Win!!!

Reactions: warren9022 and S3AMJ
Hey guys - sanity check

CAN hi and CAN lo = the comfort CAN lines yeah?

(k i'm a bit tired now and it's not computing in my brain)

what location numbers are used in the 5 pin plugs? I don't read it in the PDF... maybe i missed that info

(k i'm a bit tired now and it's not computing in my brain)

what location numbers are used in the 5 pin plugs? I don't read it in the PDF... maybe i missed that info

What 5 pin plug?

so for those with aftermarket headunits like me you'll need a head unit with a canbus decoder thats going to speak to the control module which will in turn speak to the steering wheel.

Headunit --> Canbus decoder --> MFSW Controller --> Steering Wheel

View attachment 169721

benefit of the aftermarket unit is that you can utilise all the buttons on the steering since you can do your own assignments, im hoping that i will be able to utilse the DSG paddles on the wheel for track skipping

View attachment 169722

What connections did you have the CANBUS decoder join to on the MFSW Module? I have mine coming soon...