A3 quattro dangerous steering problem

daveeeeee

Reaction score
this has happened a few times now and very nearly caused an accident today. its only happened a four or five times in the last 6 months, when almost on full lock the steering just gets stuck! takes some force to turn it back, seems to happen at any speed, happened today on a round about, was a very brown moment :scared2: any ideas??

all standard have not changed anything on the car the wheels are the standard 16s

ahh right thought it may be 18's catching the wheel arch.

Are the plastic wing sheilds in place securely as maybe they are known to flap around and maybe catch the wheels under certain circumstances.

Sounds like it might be powersteering related from your description of needing to haul on the wheel to steer - I've lost mine completely on a few occassions (thrown aux belt) and it is very unnerving. Not sure why you would only get it occassionally on fullish lock though so I could be completely wrong.

its def something mechanical its hard to describe, it almost feels as tho the wheels have fallen into a hole in the road and i really have to yank the wheel to turn it out if that makes sense? :scared2: very unnerving!

my grandparents had this exact same problem with their focus a few years back, same thing happened steering locked whilst going round an island almost causing an accident

cant remember exactly off the top of my head what the cause was, but i know ford had it in and out of the garage, they replaced steering column, rack, steering lock, ignition barrel, possibly other things too

if i were you id take it to audi and explain, if its a safety issue they may look at it free of charge, they dont want a bad accident to come back on them, could also turn out to be a common fault, non of us want that :)

Have you checked your powersteering fluid level? And also, has someone serviced it lately and not put the currect VAG mineral oil into it which can ruin your powersteering rack and pump?

Have you checked you have enough PAS fluid??

Also could it be the PAS belt slipping, this used to happen on my Mark 3 Golf GTI, it didnt have a cover around the bottom of the belt and if water got on it, it used to slip and the car steering was like the car had been switched off.....

I'd put money on it being your rack. I had the exact same thing on my corrado vr6. Used to struggle with left hand turns and almost stuck when going round bends. The steering was especially tight when the car is first started also (try lock to lock on startup).

I changed the PAS pump first, still the same so ended up swapping the rack over. I used a second hand jobbie on that, but you can pick up a refurbished unit for alright money if you cash your old rack in.

Like others say, check fluid first, but usually with low fluid or dodgey pump, the whole rack is tight in all directions, your finding sticky spots which indicated overly worn rack.

Blimey guys, if it's happened before why the hell are you still driving the car? You could have/cause a serious accident to yourself or other road users.