I want an S4 Avant

Drizz

Project Plush
Reaction score
Ive decided the 1.8T isnt enough, and now i have my Caddy and Mk1 GTi i no longer need the commuting car the A4 was. So what do i look for in an S4 Avant? What milage is acceptable, what bits do i look out for etc and what are prices like? Only a couple on eBay one with 108k and the other 168k

i wouldnt write a high mileage car off on mileage alone, for example if its been meticulously cared for, just had two new turbos and a clutch but has 170k, it might well be a better buy than a lower mileage car, given that all that expensive work is out of the way.

Theres a buyers guide at the top of this forum.

The bane of the S4 is boost leaks. It has quite a complicated setup, with many pipes prone to splitting, and if driven for any length of time like this, it can kill the turbos. I would budget for a replacement hose set, as well as the F-Hose delete mod, a pair of new dump valves on any S4 unless you've proof that its been done recently.

Turbo swap on an S4 is an engine out job, so buying a car thats had some replacement blowers (most people go k04) is a wise move imo. Also if the cars done any sort of mileage, i'd look at replacing all the front arms and all the rear bushes

I'd also ensure that you vagcom scan any potential purchase. It can highlight many expensive problems before you drive off, like EGT and Lambda failures (which can also point to a faulty MAF). When craig baught his we found a throttle body fault. The boy tried to claim it was nothing and that the last service had picked it up and could be fixed for a £30 part. Craig made a provisional offer of 5k for the car pending us checking out the fault code. Turns out the throttle body is a £300 part, or £110 recon, so craig reduced his offer to £4750 in light of this.

Drizz, apparently Playo is putting his up for sale soon. Looks like a nice well kept toy too.:icon_thumright:

Thanks for the mention Maz!

mine will be up mid october, after my return from nurburgring I intend on finding an RS.
I'll not swamp you with details here, just say that it's a 98 prefacelift. on 83k (now) with F Audi SH upto the last service, having the cam belts and clutch done by Audi early 70k-ish. last serviced and health checked by MRC last october (79k on the clock) at that time I also had a cat back Milltek and re-map done.

It' Nogaro with silver lthr, with walnut trim :)( ) has tax n mot. 18" graphite wheels.
S4 plate included i'd be looking at an offer near to £5k.

S4.jpg

THANKS

There's a 2001.5 silver avant for sale over on AudiSRS with Recaro interior.

The 2001.5 model used a Hitatchi MAF, an updated inlet manifold and no F-hose. Can apparently squeeze slightly more power out of these very rare beasts.

Has anybody been able to contact Playo about this?

I've tried to contact him via the Ad but he hasent replied.. Anybody know anything!?

I want to actually buy it lol

another golf boy getting into an s4... join the club

there is a killer on auto trader, £5.8 2001 with all the extras and a remap, if i hadnt bought one two weeks ago id have that

there is also a ko4 car on there... i sort of wish id bought that

Can't see the 'Killer' on AutoTrader... gone?

What's Golf Boy meant to mean, that's no welcome!

I want a Nogaro Blue B5 S4.. and under £5k!

My 1999 prefacelift Nogaro Avant will be for sale next week.

*98K miles.
*AMD remap.
*RS4 front and rear brakes.
*RS4 rear spoiler.
*RS4 replicas.
*Tanoga shortshift.
*Redstuff pads front and rear.
*3 new tyres 1000 miles ago (all four are Toyo T1-R's).
*710N's.
*Samco Y-pipe.
*Masses of history and receipts.
*Black leather/blue alcantara/aluminium trim.

£6,250 ONO.

Last edited:
What you getting next Dan?

A friend on the schoolrun has offered me his high mileage M5 for much cheapness. He took me out and I can't get the soundtrack out of my head (AC Schnitzer system on it).

The S4 has been mine for nearly 3 1/2 years now,......the longest I've ever owned a car and THE most reliable. It'll be a very sad day (the family have loved it), but it's time to move on I think.

Last edited:
My 1999 prefacelift Nogaro Avant will be for sale next week.

*98K miles.
*AMD remap.
*RS4 front and rear brakes.
*RS4 rear spoiler.
*RS4 replicas.
*Tanoga shortshift.
*Redstuff pads front and rear.
*3 new tyres 1000 miles ago (all four are Toyo T1-R's).
*710N's.
*Samco Y-pipe.
*Masses of history and receipts.
*Black leather/blue alcantara/aluminium trim.

£6,250 ONO.

If only i had double the money i have spare atm...

Dear Mr Bankmanager.................;)

Unless you have a 'Lay-Away' system? haha

My kind bank manager is already helping me with the £3.5k i have upto now..!

Need a brum brum!:sob:

Ideally looking for slightly damaged Nogaro Blue S4 either saloon or avant and some nice Graphite wheels and a remap and an exhaust.. lol So if you damage yours, let me know :whistle2:

Unless you have a 'Lay-Away' system? haha

My kind bank manager is already helping me with the £3.5k i have upto now..!

Need a brum brum!:sob:

Ideally looking for slightly damaged Nogaro Blue S4 either saloon or avant and some nice Graphite wheels and a remap and an exhaust.. lol So if you damage yours, let me know :whistle2:

If you are going 'all in' to buy an S4, then I don't think it's the car for you. They are not cheap cars to run.

For example, in the next two months I need to get a 10,000 mile service, an MOT, Tax and Insurance. That little lot is going to cost £1500 and are all unavoidable annual expenses, so expect to have to fork out even if you buy a 'mint' car. Whether you'll even find one of those for under £5k is another matter!

If you are going 'all in' to buy an S4, then I don't think it's the car for you. They are not cheap cars to run.

For example, in the next two months I need to get a 10,000 mile service, an MOT, Tax and Insurance. That little lot is going to cost £1500 and are all unavoidable annual expenses, so expect to have to fork out even if you buy a 'mint' car. Whether you'll even find one of those for under £5k is another matter!

It wont be my daily, as i have a good old reliable Volvo to run around in.

I saw the damaged S4 from Playo in the classifieds, from his Ring trip, and thought that it was a pretty reasonable price.. I'd probably have fixed it, taken it to the Ring and done the same again!

I'm going to the Ring next August, so i do have some time to save some pennies till then, even if i buy an ok-ish £5/5.5k one nearer the time. But i'm keeping my eyes peeled all the same!:unsure:

Thanks

True to a point, but this S4 has cost me no more to run than the Vectra V6 I had before it.

MOT is the same regardless of car, the tax is cheap, and my insurance (with points and Business Use etc etc) is £565.

Tyres are £109 each.

Sensors are as cheap as for any Bosch equipped Vauxhall etc.

Consumption?......well I guess that depends on what one is used to lol

25mpg is a very rare sight on mine lol

Around the village and so on is around 21mpg,........24mpg+ on a long run.

25mpg is a very rare sight on mine lol

Around the village and so on is around 21mpg,........24mpg+ on a long run.

Oh right, just read around a few sites and people reporting 20+mpg when zoomin around.. Ah well, still better than what i'm on!

Thanks!

Acctually cant wait to find one.. Need a new car to hobby on!

i did my (admittedly very poorly) S4 for a handful of days. on the motorway sticking to 70-80mph and flooring it occasionally, i did get 29mpg over 40 miles.

on my way home from work, 13 miles at 5pm, i ony 22mpg :( my golf will always get over 30