ECS Stage 3 'Porsche Big Reds' Consumables

S3 Chris

Reaction score
Calling all people that have got the ECS Stage 3 'Porsche Big Reds' kit installed!

Time has come for me to start hunting around for replacement consumables.
Got a quote from the TT shop but it scared me(!) so thought I'd check around and see what everyone else has done when the time has come to replace the discs and pads on their ECS Stage 3 kit?

What discs and pads have you used when the need to replace them arose?
Also what other consumables did you get at the same time? Did you have to replace the brake caliper dampner plates or banjo bolts? Any other little bits and pieces or replacement bolts needed?

Also what brake fluid did you plump for? Last but not least, out of interest what mileage did your setup see you through before needing replaced?

I'm also looking into the same thing for the ECS Stage 1Rear kit as well so if anyone has any suggestions for these too, throw them this way please.

CHeers :o.k:

When i had porsche callipers on my car i got the pads and fitting kits from them directly... i got about 15k from a set of pads.

As for the ECS rear kit... i was told by a couple of people who bought the kit for R32 golfs that they needed to grind a bit of the hub/ suspension mount away to get them on. Not something i wanted to do so i shyed away

My old S3 had stage 1 rears, from what i could see it was just upgraded discs and pads.

Fortunately never had to change the discs on mine front or rear.
I know DannyS3 - the guy who bought it off me had to change the front discs.

is there much point in changing the rears? thats the question I think needs asking....

I have ECS Stage1 rear, no grinding needed, just the cutting/removal of the dirt shield for the new 2-piece disks to fit and there's a caliper carrier extender to move the caliper outwards for the disks.

My old S3 had stage 1 rears, from what i could see it was just upgraded discs and pads.

Fortunately never had to change the discs on mine front or rear.
I know DannyS3 - the guy who bought it off me had to change the front discs.

Yeah its just upgraded discs and pads on the rear, the caliper is standard.
But waht are the options with regard to replacing the upgraded discs, who stocks them?

I would check the price at a lokal porsche dealer, its original 993 turbo discs, just another hub.

this looks to be the cheapest i can find the front OEM 993turbo discs £310 inc vat, shipping and handling here

or £370.30 inc vat shipping and handling for the genuine Porsche items here

whats the difference between OEM & Genuine Porsche then?

can anyone find them cheaper?!

I just answered this over on Eastside...

So I'll cut and paste it here:

About 50% of the price?

In all honesty...you will never get a S3 to brake like a 911...so you'll never use the full potential of the brakes anyway.
Personally, I won't use anything but genuine Porsche discs on my 911 because they are just so damn good and I do use them hard and don't want to risk premature cracking etc associated with OEM type discs on a car which is used hard.

That being said, you will never need to brake your S3 from 175+ MPH or ever use the brakes as hard as a 911 will...so for an S3, it wouldn't bother me.

I'd buy the 993 turbo OEM stuff and sleep well at night knowing that you will brake just as you always could...with cash in your wallet.

are they actually porsche fitment disc though i thought most of these companys just use the caliper from a porschce then make there own caliper carrier and discs, think id check that the porsche discs will fit straight on before stumping up £3oo plus on a set of discs that might not end up fitting

Try Quattronics mate, corey can usually
get any size disc and bell if needed at a resonable price