s3 dont like to rev over 6k rpm

na not seeeen that one, i tend not to look too often as its bad for the bank balance and only encourages spending lol

Im always on the prowl!RS4's are just awesome even the B5 would love to own one maybe some day!

Im always on the prowl!RS4's are just awesome even the B5 would love to own one maybe some day!

Tell me bout it.................would love one of them, real monsters!:rock:

Tell me bout it.................would love one of them, real monsters!:rock:

You every driven one fella?

Drove a friend B5 MTM 458 bhp RS4 gosh the car was soooooo faaaasssstttt and just awesome simply breath taking stuff!

no mate thats what dreams are for....lol, i wouldn't give it back!! ha!

i wouldnt have one without going for the most recent model..... think the old one is more dated now than the 8L S3's....awesome cars though

hijack.gif

What the hell is all this about changing up at 5k rpm. I change at close to 7k rpm so I've got no idea what you guys are doing.

If you actually look at a graph you will see that peak power is actually at around 6000 rpm so to change up before then is madness. It then tails off at close to 7000 rpm, however a standard s3 is still producing 200 bhp at that point.

Its all about the area under the curve. By staying in gear longer to nearly 7k rpm you are using that 200 bhp. Also when you change up to the next gear you are higher up the power curve than you would have been if you had changed earlier. Hence more area under the curve. I know you feel the car tailing off as you hit the rev limiter so it feels you are slowing down but you are still producing the power.

You can see a graph by going onto superchips website.

ok there must be a missunderstanding here or the facelift must be different..... if i revved my car to anything over 6k it wouldnt do sod all, i guarantee the fact because i have tried it, the car wouldnt touch 7k at all as that is wey passed the red line and wey past any peak torque on an S3..... now an A3 is a different matter but on an S3 7k is ridiculous to suggest getting power over the 6k mark

ok there must be a missunderstanding here or the facelift must be different..... if i revved my car to anything over 6k it wouldnt do sod all, i guarantee the fact because i have tried it, the car wouldnt touch 7k at all as that is wey passed the red line and wey past any peak torque on an S3..... now an A3 is a different matter but on an S3 7k is ridiculous to suggest getting power over the 6k mark

There must be something wrong with your car, my S3 revs cleanly to 7k revs, and the rev limiter is set at 7200rpm or so which I have occasionally hit in 1st gear launching with the slipping clutch method. I've also driven a remapped S3 with raised REV limit to something like 7500rpm (I think?) the extra 300rpm is not really needed and makes little or no difference to be honest. Surely, the quickest way to get your 0-60's and 0-100's is to change up just before the rev limiter kicks in, so you are higher up in the power band in the next gear as mentioned by kef9 in his previous post, though I stand to be corrected. :racer:

Jojo when i bought the car i found that to get good power i had to change quite a bit before the red line.....this was confirmed by a few members. I am open to being proven wrong though, i assume my cars fine as the last trip to JBS highlighted only a broken boost pipe which is now fixed....

Here's a Vid I found on youtube 1animal1, ignore the speedo and the aweful music lol, and I'm guessing this is a remapped car with the raised rev limit.

[ytv]txJjUXvu5R8[/ytv]

The graph speaks for itself. The car may well have a redline of 7000rpm or more but the fact is that the power and torque start dropping off just under 6000rpm so reving that extra 1000rpm before changing up wont make any difference.

The graph speaks for itself. The car may well have a redline of 7000rpm or more but the fact is that the power and torque start dropping off just under 6000rpm so reving that extra 1000rpm before changing up wont make any difference.

The graph talks about power delivery, it suggests the power drops off after 6k revs, my car makes it's peak power at just under 6k revs according to a couple of dyno's I've had done previously. The power doesn't just die at 6k revs, it's still there, just not as accellerative as it was when it was on 3k revs, but it should still be quicker to rev to the red line before changing up because of the gearing... a lower gear will always accellerate quicker than the next gear up, unless the torque difference can compensate for it in the next gear... I still think the car is quicker revving to just before the limiter before changing up, unless you was in say 4th gear where the car hasn't enough torque after 6krevs+ and will do a better job in 5th(where it's legal to do so.)

hmmm its gotta be a difference with the map....mine did this premap too... that certainly does rev very highly and mine comes nowhere near that

im gonna do another test tonight on my way home...need to ascertain whats happening here

The graph talks about power delivery, it suggests the power drops off after 6k revs, my car makes it's peak power at just under 6k revs according to a couple of dyno's I've had done previously. The power doesn't just die at 6k revs, it's still there, just not as accellerative as it was when it was on 3k revs, but it should still be quicker to rev to the red line before changing up because of the gearing... a lower gear will always accellerate quicker than the next gear up, unless the torque difference can compensate for it in the next gear... I still think the car is quicker revving to just before the limiter before changing up, unless you was in say 4th gear where the car hasn't enough torque after 6krevs+ and will do a better job in 5th(where it's legal to do so.)

Exactly, although Im not sure I agree with the last bit because I think your always better off redlining it. It would be interesting to do a test though to see.

Anyway my car is not mapped and pulls cleanly to 7000 rpm (Its a 225bhp BAM) so I don't think chipping it has anything to do with it.

Power is what makes a car go faster, not torque.

The graph shows that on the standard engine the power output at 7k rpm has dropped of to the same that it was pushing out at 4800rpm. This is why I cant really understand the logic behind reving to 7k. surely it makes sense to rev to the peak power of that gear then change so that you're right back in the power and torque band for the next gear?

We need to get someone with some decent timing gear to test out the 2 defferent driving methods and see what happens.

Exactly, although Im not sure I agree with the last bit because I think your always better off redlining it. It would be interesting to do a test though to see.

Anyway my car is not mapped and pulls cleanly to 7000 rpm (Its a 225bhp BAM) so I don't think chipping it has anything to do with it.

Power is what makes a car go faster, not torque.

The reason for the suggestion of changing gears from 4th to 5th is that in the lower gears, it's the weight of the car you are pulling along, but in 4th gear territory - near the red line - you are doing a silly speed like 120ish or there abouts, and aerodynamics comes in, and it will be more benefitial to change to 5th to be back in the powerband.... it's just a suggestion of course, we would need to test it to confirm it. :)

The graph shows that on the standard engine the power output at 7k rpm has dropped of to the same that it was pushing out at 4800rpm. This is why I cant really understand the logic behind reving to 7k. surely it makes sense to rev to the peak power of that gear then change so that you're right back in the power and torque band for the next gear?

We need to get someone with some decent timing gear to test out the 2 defferent driving methods and see what happens.

Totally understand your logic on this one, but I feel that revving to the redline before changing up is quicker, that's how I go about the 1/4 miles at GTI inters, though my times was crap due to crap launching technique, I felt I was doing pretty good whilst in motion lol. :racer:

im gonna have a test tonight, mines a 225 BAM too and has brought up no issues other than those raised which wouldnt stop the car reving above 6k effectively....

deffo sure that redlining an S3 is bad news in terms of power and to suggest that torque has nothing to do with making a car go faster is silly talk...

Surley if you have any notion on driving a car it should feel pretty obvious when to change gear, i reckon a map may play a part in this as some hold boost longer depending on your map, but either way it should get to the red line without a problem, not that i'd take mine that high cause i don't feel the need. I'd say i change gear around the 6000rpm on average, depends how the car feels, as soon as i feel power tailing off i snatch for the next gear....7000rpm in my eyes is pointless.

just say its 200bhp at 7000rpm and its 200bhp at 4800rpm. its the same power but if your in a lower gear at higher rpm it will accelerate faster than in the higher gear.

But if you change gear at the peak of power at 5800 then your back on the steep power band of the next gear and accelerating instead of going past the peak and letting power die off by 26bhp before changing.

ok ive just driven home and found this....

2nd gear beneficial to go between 6-7k revs but definately not all the way to 7k, not far off though

3rd gear needs changing around 5500-6k mark, there is no benefit (with a CC at least) in red lining in this gear as the torque in fourth will take you further than the top end of the rev range in 3rd....as for fourth im off out in a bit so will hopefully get a chance at that gear....

i tested both your theories but really cant see what benefit there is in red lining this car in anything except 1st or 2nd.......

from my knowledge of engineering I see the need for lower gears to get the car going, once rolling the gear ratios need lifting to get max power out of the car, it isnt as simple as red lining the car and thats it.....its a case of finding that cut off point when the power drops off as you all know

i dont claim to be an expert at all, im an amatuer like most of us on here and welcome being proven wrong if i am infact wrong - although where i am at the moment i would be willing to bet money that redlining the S3 in anything but 1st and 2nd would be totally stupid - if your goal is to extract power

Back to the topic -

The problem sounds like the engine speed sensor.
Get it on VagCom and have it diagnosed.
Ive got a brand new genuine one sitting under my bed as i didnt get round to fitting it to my old S3.
My old S3 had these symptoms, wouldnt rev past about 6k revs and the engine would judder/die if you tried to.

PM me if you need one as i paid about £80 for mine and never fitted it! Still have the audi receipt.

All this talk of bhp. Most importantly at 7000rpm is about a million miles off its peak torque and afterall torque is what matters...it is what pushes the car along.

6k is the max I rev too, any higher than that is just wasting time off the power band.

its all relative Ash...:yes:

Minty ive just been out again and definately agree with ya without doubt, be interesting to hear from some that have done the 1/4 miles with 14.0 sec times with remapped S3...just to see what they did

im gonna warm mine up and take it for a spin ill try and record the revs and post it up

how you doing people i took the car out and recorded it but dont know how to post it up and the car does rev over 6k but creeps and i must say changing at 5.5k is really true the car was on the power straight away but i will get the car vag com'd as ive now got a little missfire at idle and i feel im down on bhp as it used to hit 0.9 and is now struggling to hit 0.7 bar of boost now which could be the maf but i live close to amd essex so ill take it there

Well i have a slight confession to make, i stated that i take my car to about 6000rpm.....

My mate gave me his liquid S3 device which can measure different readings from your car and speed times....

I went out with the missus to test this device and i can honestly say i found myself changing gear at approx 6300-6500rpm which felt right to me at the time.....i can also state that the weather plays a vital part in how these cars perform. Last time me and my mate went out the temperatures were not so cold, however as you no its been freezing lately.....

I managed 257bhp where as before i could only manage about 242

The torque fugures were showing around the 300 mark where as before they were round the 280 mark

The maf was spot on at around 205 m/g instead of 195ish

And the 0-60 came in at 6.1sec

0-100 in 13.6sec

Only one attempt at each and all done on a private road :eyebrows: