Sat Nav

I think the problem is that, very it often means is that the satnav is just in the glovebox etc. To me, any visible mount advertises the fact that there is a good chance of there being a satnav stored somewhere in the vehicle, and it's worth breaking in to have a look. I don't want to have to take the satnav with me every time I leave the car, hence my hidden mount, that gives no clue that I even have one.

That is a valid point, which I do worry about.
I just have to hope they take the "he's taken it with him" option.
To help guide them towards this decision, I leave the Brodit completely naked, rather than leaving the Garmin mount/wiring on it.
The only other option is ****** windscreen mounting, but they suck.

A good point. Not the neatest solution I've seen. How about getting the power wire to the unit. Ok if you just want a lead dangling down to the 12v socket but probably not easy to hard wire. Don't some companies do a self-ahesive disc which you can fit wherever you like and attached the mount to that. When you remove the Sat/Nav and the mount all that is left is a circular disc. Neater than a large beanbag.

A good point. Not the neatest solution I've seen. How about getting the power wire to the unit. Ok if you just want a lead dangling down to the 12v socket but probably not easy to hard wire. Don't some companies do a self-ahesive disc which you can fit wherever you like and attached the mount to that. When you remove the Sat/Nav and the mount all that is left is a circular disc. Neater than a large beanbag.

You get a self-adhesive dash mounting disc as standard with Garmins.
The satnav then clicks on and off.
The trouble is, the disc is a ****** to get off the dash when you sell the car.

You get a self-adhesive dash mounting disc as standard with Garmins.
The satnav then clicks on and off.
The trouble is, the disc is a ****** to get off the dash when you sell the car.

You could leave it there, perhaps the next customer would like the same sort of Sat/Nav or they could take if off if they don't want it. One of the pleasures of buying a second-hand car!!!

Ach, I've decided to forget the 'beanbag', even if I do think it's a great solution.
I like the Brodit I've got.
I live in a low crime area too, luckily.

(True, but embarrassing, story. Sitting at home a few weeks back, doorbell goes at 2100. Bloke walking past noticed my keys were still hanging in the outside lock. Yes, the car keys too...:sadlike::ohmy::redface:)

Anything in an accident is likely to cause injury- the mount on your windscreen will cause exactly the same level of injury I would have thought.

Wouldn't it be great if there could be an industry standard "ISO GPS mount"? A universal powered mounting point that cars had built-in that all satnav/PDA/phone manufacturers designed their mounts to fit.

It has been done with ISOfix for child seats, and ISO connectors/DIN slots for car audio, why not satnav mounts?

The reason there isn't is similar to the reasons there wasn't a standard phone mount for a long time. If you could plug any satnav into your mount then if you currently had a garmin hardwired and wanted to upgrade there'd be nothing to stop you buying a tomtom or anything else.

The manufacturers aren't going to make it easy for you to change brand.

A lot of the manufacturers also have deals with car manufacturers. They're not going to want to give that up too easily either. SatNav units are still considerably expensive, whereas mobile phones are near enough free.

Old thread!!

Could someone tell me where I would wire the positive to in the fusebox please? (sorry, I am a bit of a novice!)