S3 1999 Pre FaceLift

S3mad

Dark Knight
Reaction score
Hi there all ,

i am looking at getting a s3 and wondered if i buy a 1999 model am i missing out alot on the facelift model ? . I was looking at audi 1.8 T but i have always wanted a s3 so i am now on the search :wacko:

Any answers would be nice:beee:

Not much really, you can upgrade the head and tail lights if you wanted but personally i think the h/lights look better on a pre-facelift S3, apart from that the centre console is abit different, not any better. Engine wise, you pay less tax! and if you map it, you can get the same power as a facelift mapped S3.

Welcome by the way!

Thanks for that i was looking at a 1.8 Turbo A3 but thought s3 is a far better way to go . Whats the insurance group on a 1999 model compared to a 2002 etc ??

Just take a look at both facelift and pre-facelift and decide which you prefer; it's a personal thing I guess as I much prefer the facelift ones. I think the headlights look better and the dash looks a bit cleaner.

The pre-facelift headlights are easier to work on though as they can be removed without having to take the bumper off.

Thanks for that i was looking at a 1.8 Turbo A3 but thought s3 is a far better way to go . Whats the insurance group on a 1999 model compared to a 2002 etc ??

I *think* the 225 (BAM engine code) is a group higher, but in the real world insurance groups don't have as huge a bearing on your premium as some people believe. The 225s were introduced September 2001 onwards I believe

One thing to bear in mind is the BAM engined cars fall under the new tax band L which will be over £400 as of March next year. If you get something which was registered pre-March 2001 then you'll continue paying the cureent tax rate.

The insurance group changes due to the amount of power you have as standard, Insurance Group 17 on a 210 version and 18 on the 225.

Thanks for that info ,

i just wanted to know the insurance group . Whats a 1.8 Turbo a3 ?

Im keen on getting a older s3 as i like the old style lights etc . I have had a a3 before and i am missing it .

Insurance group 14 and its 15 for the 180bhp Quattro version.

what are the main things i need to look at when looking for a s3 ?

:wacko:

Yeah your missing out on a facelift 2002 S3 with a few cheeky extras (mine)

what are the main things i need to look at when looking for a s3 ?

:wacko:

Theres a good S3 guide at the top of the forum which would be of use

Maybe see if any local owners could come with you to have a look over it?

Where abouts are you?

May contemplate selling mine, if u want abit more power (ihi turbo kit), if not im still happy to take you for a drive if uve not been in an s3 before.

Eitherway good to here another person joining the ranks:) welcome

Brab3r

i owned a pre facelift for 6 years and loved it, however 1 of my preferences when buying another was to go facelift...there are a number of things that take the car to the next level....i dont regret one minute and would pay the extra again

just my two penath

Im based in surrey near the a3 .

I would love to go for a test drive in 1 . Im looking at a black one on Saturday:o.k: and just wanna make sure i check it over proper .

Where abouts are you?

May contemplate selling mine, if u want abit more power (ihi turbo kit), if not im still happy to take you for a drive if uve not been in an s3 before.

Eitherway good to here another person joining the ranks:) welcome

Brab3r

if you want to see my old audi a3 i had a current ride check out my newbie post ....

i owned a pre facelift for 6 years and loved it, however 1 of my preferences when buying another was to go facelift...there are a number of things that take the car to the next level....i dont regret one minute and would pay the extra again

just my two penath

I second that.....:yes:
I was exactly the same.........

That's fair dues....post or pre, they're great cars !!
What milage and price is this one your looking at ??

its done 128k

and its black and up for 5k 1999

That's fair dues....post or pre, they're great cars !!
What milage and price is this one your looking at ??

Thats a good price....a lot of car for 5 grand !
Hope it turns out to be a good'n.....

Well i hope so too as i want to make sure everything runs right etc

before i buy etc

Thats a good price....a lot of car for 5 grand !
Hope it turns out to be a good'n.....

Can anyone here do any checks if i give u a reg number ?

The milages is slightly high, but these machines are built to last, so thats not really a prob, and even tho its a pre facelift, which is what you are after anyway, that is a good price, even if you haggle a couple of hundred off that, thats alot of car you are getting for that money.

Let us know how you get on, would be good to hear if you get a bargain :yahoo:

Can anyone here do any checks if i give u a reg number ?

Dude, if you go on the RAC website, you can do a full comprehensive check for a fiver and it goes through HPI, as i believe they own HPI....

Hope that helps.

I know he wont budge the price ....

The milages is slightly high, but these machines are built to last, so thats not really a prob, and even tho its a pre facelift, which is what you are after anyway, that is a good price, even if you haggle a couple of hundred off that, thats alot of car you are getting for that money.

Let us know how you get on, would be good to hear if you get a bargain :yahoo:

Thats not too bad price tbh,
Although mines a 1999 pre face, (facelift rear lights though) and its on 67k so there are so lower mileages about if u werent sure if ud get them.
Just look for the usual, service history, receipts, if its had any mods who were they done by etc.
If you could nudge him down it would help pay for the obligatory remap that these cars love so much.

Btw im in buckinghamshire so not too far away if u decide u wanna drive.

Cheers and hope its a good un at the weekend

Brab3r

I don't suppose it's a '99 t' with 18in Oz alloys is it...?

Got your pm..... i had a quick look for it, sounds alright mate, if it drives as good as it reads i reckon you may be on a winner !

Good Luck with it.......

I'm not to sure about it !!!!!

Got your pm..... i had a quick look for it, sounds alright mate, if it drives as good as it reads i reckon you may be on a winner !

Good Luck with it.......

One thing id check for with that mileage is has it had at least one cambelt change? preferable two to be honest. If not id be asking him to knock the price down to help fund it. Oh and welcome to the site matey, cracking car the S3-good all rounder imo

Ok i will ask ,

Thanks mate:o.k:

One thing id check for with that mileage is has it had at least one cambelt change? preferable two to be honest. If not id be asking him to knock the price down to help fund it. Oh and welcome to the site matey, cracking car the S3-good all rounder imo

cambelt was done at 90k so sounds ok ?!:yum:

Well wish me luck all ,

im a proud owner of a s3 now ;)

wahey! nice one. If it was done at 90k it should be ok till around 150k id have thought