Any facelift pre-April 2001 S3's around?

Matt T

Bumble Bee
Reaction score
Hello all,

Looking at getting one of the above, but there aren't many around!

Anyone know of any good examples? Needs to be pre-April 2001 for obvious reasons!

Cheers

Mine is an facelift X Reg, 2001, registered January 2001. Does that include me?! :)

Mine will be up for sale soon, 1999 plate Imola Yellow, it's in excellent condition and has just had 90k service along with cam belt, water pump, rear shocks & new discs & pads all round. Totally standard example.

Just need to get some decent pics taken and a proper add writen up, will probably put up on here and Pistonheads

Why pre april??? if your on about the tax situation mine is a sep 01 and a 210 bhp in the cheaper bracket....

Budgy, A sept 01 will still be £300 from next March, compared to £210 for a pre March 2001...

Cheers,

I was going to say..

The Tax states that it's car today, back to March 2001 that will get hammered.

I am lucky, as my S3 was registered, as I say, in January 2001. SO, I'm two months clear of the hammer-down.

Yep, I'm a Jan 2001 registration so happy. Facelift plus cheap tax = best of both worlds!

Ah thanks for that, i just thought that all 210 would be £300 (glad i got a 210 now) and 225 £410...:haha:

Sorry... so my tax runs out in 5 months then if i get a years worth at the end of Dec for my current rate of £200, i wont get stung by the £300 till 2010. :sly:

I know this has been disccused before but I really am confused about this whole tax thing, people say that after 2001 reg cars will get stung however you go to the DVLA page and enter in your details and you get what is due

The enquiry is complete http://www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/?SKIN=directgov
The vehicle details for xx02 xxx are:

Date of Liability 01 11 2008
Date of First Registration 02 05 2002
Year of Manufacture 2002
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1781CC
CO2 Emissions 226g/Km
Fuel Type Petrol
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status Licence Not Due
Vehicle Colour BLUE
Vehicle Type Approval M1
The information contained on this page is correct at the time of enquiry.

Vehicle Excise Duty Rate for vehicle
6 Months Rate £115.50
12 Months Rate £210.00

I guess I will have to wait to see what comes through...

I'm also finding the tax issue very confusing, i have an amk registered on 14-03-01, can anyone shed any light what my new rate will be after it runs out at begining of december?

Jester yours will be the same as mine as it is a BAM and 225BHP to start with, so you will be paying the £400+ as of next year. So if you get 12 months in December at least that puts it off till the end of next year.

Wibble iirc the variable tax came in as of 1st March 2001 if thats the case I think you will be paying £300 ish for your tax as of next year as it is one of the 210BHP models.

If anybody knows different them please correct the above and let me know so that I don't keep giving out incorrect info.

J4jon is correct.

Any BAM registered on or after 1/3/2001 = >225g/km CO2 -> £400+ tax if renewal due on or after 1/3/2009.

Any AMK registered on or after 1/3/2001 = <225g/km CO2 -> £300 tax if renewal due on or after 1/3/2009

Any S3 registered before 1/3/2001 = £210 tax if renewal due on or after 1/3/2009

I have just re-taxed my 2002 AMK for 6 months, so I will renew fro 12 months in December for £210, and so not then be clobbered for £300 until December 2009.

Cheers,

Hope this helps

I just renewed my tax now, paid £185 for the year, mines a facelift S3 registered Feb 01

Someone give this man a medal!

Couldnt agree more......its £100 a year..... if your gonna let this dictate what S3 you get, then id actually question whether you can afford the car to start with..... IT'S £100!!!!

If any is still confused, there is a nice calculator on the parkers website, which tells you all the price changes for your vehicle http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/road-tax/

And also a general guide to why it will be that much e.g. age + CO2 http://www.parkers.co.uk/news/Road-tax/Guide-to-tax-changes/

If i remember right, the parkers guide isnt entirely accurate because of the differences between the 210 and 225 engines.....

So right he had to say it twice!!

Yup, as the deleted message says...internet probs...didnt realise the first post had gone through so had to re-write

Couldnt agree more......its £100 a year..... if your gonna let this dictate what S3 you get, then id actually question whether you can afford the car to start with..... IT'S £100!!!!
Yes, it may 'only' be £100 a year, not going to break the bank. However, why get a car that will cost me £100 a year more to run when i can get one exactly the same without the extra £100. And if i was to get a 225 it would be another £200+ a year.

As for costs of running, the S3 will be cheaper to run than my current car.

Anyway seen a few on autotrader that im hopefully going to look at on Saturday

ballbags! mine's not an s3, but as of next march mine's 300 sheets rising to 430 the year after :wtf: think i shall be buying the 12 months come october then for £210

Audi A3 (96-03)
1.8 T quattro Sport 3d (6)

Rates effective from 13 March 2008​
Date of Registration 6 Months 12 Months Band CO2 (g/km)

1 Mar 2001 – 1 Nov 2003 £115.50 £210.00 F 226-228
Rates effective from April 2009​

1 Mar 2001 – 1 Nov 2003 £165.00 £300.00 K 226-228
Rates effective from April 2010​

1 Mar 2001 – 1 Nov 2003 £236.50 £430.00 L 226-228

Yes, it may 'only' be £100 a year, not going to break the bank. However, why get a car that will cost me £100 a year more to run when i can get one exactly the same without the extra £100. And if i was to get a 225 it would be another £200+ a year.

As for costs of running, the S3 will be cheaper to run than my current car.

Anyway seen a few on autotrader that im hopefully going to look at on Saturday

Ok, look at it this way....how much are you going to lose on a car per year? if you look at your total running expenses, fuel, insurance, depreciation etc etc £100 is tiny..... i think id rather pick the car i want from a select few rather than narrowing down 'the' select few even more and making your life harder.... epspecially when its £100pa.... thats 27p a day, £1.90 a week..... petrol going up another couple of times will cost you more than that..... im not having a go, im just making a point....if £100 a year is a big thing for you, id suggest buying a push bike aswell cos the fuel prices aint stopping where they are now...

I wouldnt call S3's a select few, my current (provisionally sold) car is an E30 M3, now that is a 'select' car. Its not a big deal, but i really don't see the need in spending the extra money for no benefit.

Having a look at a 2000 facelift with 54k miles on Saturday so hopefully its a good'un.

well have a look on auto trader, there are 931 M3's nationwide and 250 S3's..... make your own mind up.

What im trying to say is that there are plenty of silver S3's with black leather....like your M3, to find one with the right spec i.e heated seats, sunroof etc etc... you will struggle....

im not looking for an argument, i am just making a point.

Hope the one on Saturday is the one your after....if not then i would possibly broaden your horizons to a newer one aswel, what harm can it do... makes your life easier, and you never know....you might find the exact car your after for an extra £100

well have a look on auto trader, there are 931 M3's nationwide and 250 S3's..... make your own mind up.

I said E30 M3, of which there is........ 1

:beee:

You raise a point about the options though, although im not that bothered by the spec so it shouldnt be an issue. I read you can add cruise control for £100 with oem bits?

Hi Matt mine is up for sale as of this week PM me and ill send you some pics its a facelift 2000 S3 AMK 210bhp X reg in avus silver im looking for 7500 quid as ive just got a crappy company car and cant afford both :(

I said E30 M3, of which there is........ 1

:beee:

You raise a point about the options though, although im not that bothered by the spec so it shouldnt be an issue. I read you can add cruise control for £100 with oem bits?

good point, the S3 is nowhere near the age of the E30....hence why there wont be many about when compared..... compare the S3 with the M3 of the same era...then you will see there isnt much in it- exclusive wise

Yeah you can add the cruise for less if you look hard enough, the expensive bits to ad are the heated seats, auto dimming mirror, sunroof, double DIN CD, multi function wheel etc.... but if you happy to have a standard spec which isnt bad...then you wont have a problem.

Well mine was registered in feb 14th (iirc) 2001 'X' facelift model, so i just scraped in the 'cheapie' tax bracket by a fortnight :yahoo:but to be fair that was'nt the reason i bought it....just a little bonus !!

Mine's a facelift registered late october 2000 so i'm staying in the cheap bracket too :)

To be fair I realise £100 extra a year isn't a lot of money in the grand scheme of things but if (like me) you normally pay for all your tax out of one month's salary then an extra £100 does make a difference to you for that month

that and the fact I hate paying gordon clown even more of my hard earned cash the robbing king b@rsteward !!

is there any aftermarket additions you can make to a car to reduce c02 number to reduce tax? apart from taking the engine out :) i don't mind keeping a bush in the boot to offset it, if it's saving me some dosh :thumbsup:

ermm i may be selling mine if the price was right, not 100% sure.

Its an imola yellow 1999 s3 65k miles FSH, and has had its big 60k service.
ihi vf34, conversion (all the gubbins, sports cat etc)
supersprint exhaust (quite loud so just to let u know)
AMD Porshce Front Brake Kit,
18" bbs Alloys,

recently had:
Rear Driller and Dimpled Grooves,
New Front discs and pads (EBC Yellow Stuff all round)
Front and rear ARB's (25mm Front, 21mm back)
Geometry Set up etc
New WishBone bushes
and Dogbone Bush
Spacers(15mm front, 20mm back)

only thing it doesnt have YET is a set of coilovers but thats on my list if i dont sell it.

Open to offers.

Brab3r

Brab3r - I'll give you a tenner and thats pushing it, What you saying???

Only messing mate, not interested in buying it, but sounds like you have a nicely specced up car there mate!! :)

He He a tenner!
No worries dude, wasnt really intending on selling it unless the right buyer came along.
Getting some Weitec Coilovers fitted on Thursday methinks.
And ye its not too bad it does me well:)
Hope you find sumthing soon:)

Brab3r