s3 not as much power

S90GAV

Reaction score
i got my S3 on wednesday and got into it today and it dusnt seem to pull like it did before, ive unplugged the MAF but it made no diff, any ideas wut i could look out for?

casue it used it used to really pin you in ya seat, but dusnt seem too like it was the other day.

Gav:blackrs4:

Split or popped a boost hose off?

Seems alot of people have this issue, just after buying the car something seems to change and they loose power

Could be a small boost leak, loose hose, recirc valve issues?

not trrying to be rude, but are you sure you're not just getting used to the power? Remember the maps can vary a lot on conditions, down a hill you see less boost, you also see less boost on cold days.

If it's not remapped I wouldn't expect it to pin you to the seat at all anyway.

My A3 has always had quick days and slow days. Sometimes it really shocks me, other times I'm left thinking it's broken

My car doesnt seem as quickas it did when I first had it mapped and as prawn says, you get used to it, believe me. 290+ bhp in an impreza after 3 weeks feels like driving miss daisy in a fiat cinquecento!!

My car doesnt seem as quick as it did when I first had it mapped and as prawn says, you get used to it, believe me. 290+ bhp in an impreza after 3 weeks feels like driving miss daisy in a fiat cinquecento!!

Ill agree with that, sometimes I feel like Im in a 1.6 Sport! (No offence to 1.6 Sport owners)

haha, I know exactly what you mean Ryan, much like money, you live to your means.

Sometimes I'll be going up hill, and it'll feel like I've got a bog standard 1.8T again, yet to someone who DOES have a standard 1.8T, it feels quick.

I usually drive my car alone, so when I take people out and it feels slow. So annoying.

that said, ive noticed that the mapped car hesitats a bit down hills, down to the boost being load sensitive i believe...someone will correct me if im worng

Yeah I dont like the passenger weight addition!

When I took my mates to Port Solent for a few beers and I was driving the car felt so flat, but they all said about how nicely it pulled etc... Guess its just normal to me so when its a bit slower its like Im walking!

maybes your right, ive got my forge 007p i could swop that over if need be. saying that ive dun 500miles in it since wednesday lol, so am probs used too it.

May be worth getting someone with vag com to carryout a throttle body alignment for you.

Also factor in heatsoak, weather is warming up slightly, and we all know Turbo cars like cold air, my S3 feels less responsive in warmer weather, but picks up again at night time. :racer:

had vagcom on tonight no fault codes.

just got in from been out and the traction control light and the ABS light came on when i was driving, will this have summat too do with it? or is it a sperate issue?

just drove home from work and theres deffo summat up, seems to be only pulling the same as my A3 20v t, and the turbo dusnt seem to be as load as it was... but it is still spooling, just dusnt seem too be as loud

For all of those bored with their cars, get a mate to drive it with you in the passenger seat (if you trust them). It'll feel fast again for another few minutes.

had it on vagcom again..... were a couple of error codes, cleared them... and da da i have power, must of gone into limp mode or sumat

Depends, it could be a few things - What were the fault codes you cleared? I had similar probs but i never had the abs/esp lights come on.

maf - but i had it unplugged try diff things.

Hmmm... not what i had then! Did u replace the MAF? Hopefully that was your problem!

Like HTC says, keep an eye on it though.

For all of those bored with their cars, get a mate to drive it with you in the passenger seat (if you trust them). It'll feel fast again for another few minutes.

Strangely true, cars always seem to feel faster from a passengers point of view.

I find Frenchmans standard 1.8T feels fairly quick from the passengers seat, not far behind my ko3S car, yet to drive it, i might as well catch the bus, it feels awful.

Strange how the feeling is increased when you are not in control. My dad took my A3 for a spin, only boosted up to about 10psi and I was terrified! Yet it runs 22psi on full throttle! Must be awful for passengers.

doh! its lost power again.. :( gonna get vagcom on it tonight ans see what the crack is.. wounder what it can be. also my traction and abs lights have come on in the last few days but gona off when engine turned off and back on.

power came back and like magic its gone again, getting really ****** of with it now :(

got a error code now.

its says its running lean on bank 1 intermitted. what ever that means

Alright S90 Gav...

I had similar problems with my car not long after buying it, and like you i was getting pretty ****** off... The car wasn't showing any obvious faults so when i took the car into Amd they told me that my car was running lean too, causing the turbo to get to hot and shutting down causing the serious lack of power, the car would struggle at 80mph sometimes...

Anyway... it turned out to be a faulty coolant temp sensor, it didn't come up as a fault when vag com'd. It's might be worth having it checked mate, i know how frustrating it can be...

Good Luck !!

You could try logging the boost with Vag-com to see if it's ever getting the boost level the ECU is asking for.

I think it's code 021... though you better check with the documentation.
It should tell you the "command" versus the "actual" boost. But it's absolute pressure (so 1.2 bar reads 2200 mbar on vagcom).

i wish there was a company like amd up in the north east :(

actually there's DPM wounder if they'd know.

well the EML finally came on today, had it on vagcom but theres no new fault codes other than the one i already knew about which was running lean on bank 1 intermitted. have'nt cleared the codes though, left them for the garage to take car of as its still under warrenty