TOTAL loss of power - everything at 40mph!!

audipardner

Reaction score
Hi all, wifey has just had kittens as whilst she was driving home the car just went dead, no lights, PAS, absolutely sweet FA. Not even hazzards.:scared2:
Thankfully she managed managed to steer it best she could to the side of the dark, unlit road, (didnt even scratch the alloy - good girl) much to the displeasure of the cars behind her not being aware of the situation.

I came to the rescue in my trusty Fix Or Repair Daily Mondy ST24 (fantastic car) and tried the bonnet trick. Opened it up, initially checked the battery terminals - both OK. Put the bonnet back down again and presto power again. The cars date showed the manu date (2001) and my existing ECL had gone too:). Will be getting it scanned tomorrow to see what code it brought up.

Knowing that i've done some sort of soft reset and having heard of this happening to 1 other before what could've happened? Is it common as its ****** frightening for the strife. And will it happen again after 50 miles like other soft reset ( low oil warning) do?

I pre emptied a major breakdown so called out my new rescue company (auto aid- £36 all in full cover - but little experience!!) - Read on. He came within 25 mins but by then the car was running again. I told him the probs, asked him if he knew about Audis - No! Asked him if he had a scanner- NO!! Thank **** there are sites like this that can rectify problems that the so called pros cant do!!! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK...
Thanks in advance for any info

(New sig to come...along the lines of For Sale!!!)

****** 'ell, bet that did frighten the **** out of her, Poor gal!!
Well firstly least she didnt scratch your alloy, (top Bird:icon_thumright: )......oh and yeah no one was hurt :o.k:

Ive never heard of this one before...
Im actually lost for words, Imagine higher speeds!!
Defo needs checking out and me being me I wouldnt drive it anywhere other than getting it checked out, better safe than sorry!!

Yeah, thanks mate. The only time I recall this happening to someone before was an account from an Audi Tech (via RAC man - complicated) about some guy who's oil warning came on and car died on him too. Thank **** it wasn't at higher speed or the kids in the car. Girl did good.

My trusty Indy is only 1 mile down the road, time for visa card me thinks to get all these little anoying niggles sorted out.

Will update....

...yeah you not having much luck are you.
keep us posted!!

will have to arrange a meet so we can bury? it in the ground and stone it!!

Weird - were having same probs with wifes espace - it just dies on her. I had it serviced etc nd new timing belt done last week. I hope its not related. I'll be taking car in garage in morning - see what comes up on computer

Thanks guys. Well hopefully this doesn't happen to anyone else out there but hopefully have found out the problem.

Popped into Lincoln Audi today to pick up a hose pipe ( B and Q were shut!!) and after the initial head scratch the tech was intrigued so he kindly scanned the car - load of codes!! I popped the hood and the car stopped, just like yesterday so he then looked around the battery terminal, gave it a shake and the cars electrics came back on again??

There is a 150amp inline fuse connecting the two nuts on the positive and there is a hairline fracture in mine. Will pop back tomorrow and fit my new fuse all at a cost of around £1.60. No other charge was done
biggrin.gif

Well impressed with the lads at Lincoln Audi, they will try their best (within reason) to help (just bypass the front desk robbers - oh but sir, you have to book it in!!......)

They were also working on an R8 that had been totalled at the rear by one of their staff!!!..he'd decided to take the traction control off!! 'Err boss, i've scratched the car' would have been an understatement!!!!LMFAO