Bargain HIDs

Tastyterrier

Monkey Trainer
Reaction score
Hey guys, just thought I'd let you know about a bargain deal just made. I made the mistake of buying a HID conversion kit from Hong Kong, less than a year on and a ballast has gone bye bye. :motz:

Get what you pay for I guess and at £30 postage to get a replacement...what's the point.

Anyways, I was trawling the net looking for a reputable UK supplier and HIDS4U seemed to come up trumps for several people. Their Pro Plus (flash back of student days!) kit seems a good all rounder. Usually they cost £149 but right now they've got them for £99, but that's not the best part. Stick in the discount code Toyota Pro and you get them delivered for £75.

They turned up today, they look like a very good kit. E4 and CE marked with proper digital ballasts. I'll get them fitted this weekend, but I thought I'd let you know in case anyone else is looking for a kit.
Cheers, Terrier :rockwoot:

I got mine from VisionPerformance for £65 delivered. Was a special group buy on uk-mkivs.net...next day delivery and excellent product

Virtually all HID ballasts are now made by the same companies.

The cost of a replacement ballast is around £8.

It is most economical to get the cheapest set available.

hids-direct.co.uk £100 inc post and package (next day delivery) call them ask for martin

inigoj said:
Virtually all HID ballasts are now made by the same companies.

The cost of a replacement ballast is around £8.

It is most economical to get the cheapest set available.

one of my ballasts has gone.. and i cant seem to find any cheaper than 40 notes....where can i get one for 8 nicker!! please tell

One of my ballasts appears to have gone too - bulb fires up when switched on, then goes out. Didn't ****** last long - maybe a month.

I have ordered a new kit from China/HK - same as last ones. Which means I can fix it, and have a spare bulb/ballast in addition to the spare bulb from the first kit. £45-50.

The ebayer i bought mine from is not listing at the moment.

The cheapest ballast i can find at the mo is £9.99, but it is from Hong Kong, so p&p is also £9.99.

Ebay Item number: 250211164240

Got to say the new ballasts have different casings to the HK ballasts and fire up differently (time to get up to full beam). It could be a placebo effect, but they appear brighter also. No bulb out warnings/radio interference/flicker so I'm a happy bunny, plus a 2 year warranty without the return to HK shipping costs makes me feel a bit more secure.

My cheapy kit was from dianeshop (or something similar). They weren't listing any H7s when I looked so I've ordered the replacement from happygirlined (again, something similar). I believe it's the same seller but reg'd under another name.

Hopefully it'll be here within the next couple of days.

I thought that if the bulb starts up and then goes out it is generally the bulb failing?

A dodgy ballast would either not start, or only fire-up intermittently?

Not 100% on that though.

Not sure, and I've not yet had time to check properly. I will have another pop at it and see what happens; if I just need a new bulb I might end up fitting the extra kit to the wife's A4 or selling it.

Hi Guys
if any of your cars are from 04 to 08 please do not fit cheap Hids you will regret it I have an A3 06 model and i fitted a cheap Hid kit it was working for 1 day then took out my wiper motor and burnt out three relays and something else all in all they caused about £600 worth of damage.
I now only use the guys from Hids4u as they seem to know there stuff
Hope this helps if your trying make a decision