Buying an Audi A3 (p)

stealth

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I have recently sold my MK4 Golf and am looking to buy a new A3. I'm thinking of getting the 2.0FSi, what are the downsides of this engine (if any?). I've looked in What Car? Magasine and it says that the 1.6FSI and 2.0 FSI are both Group 9 insurance, does this sound right?
Has anyone gone for the Sat Nav option? I know its expensive, but i've always loved the thought of having sat nav, i'm interested in any feedback you have on that also
Also, how long would you estimate delivery time to be? Am i looking at a few weeks or months??Thanks for your help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Stealth.

Reading this forum you will most likely get hundreds of TDI users saying anything else than TDI is utter crap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Or you'll get Irish saying his modified superturboengine is faster and that numbers mean nothing and so on. Oh well.

I'd say 1,6 FSI is too slow for this chassis, and apparently 1,6 FSI is pretty lazy otherwise too, since you can notice the changes in operating modes (FSI). As for 2,0 FSI, I like it a lot, it's not lazy if you use the pedal, and there's enough low-torque available for everyday use aswell.

I can't answer on insurance questions, those vary on every country, and delivery date depends on color, what extra you take with it and so on..

- Yak

I would agree with Yak the 1.6 is quite Nippy around town but on the open road it does struggle especially when there is more than one person in the car.

Having said that at the moment the 1.6 Special Edition with free climate for 15K is very good value. 1.6 is group 9 but the 2 litre FSi is actually group 11.

TDi is also very good I think in the end your driving style will very much dictate the type of engine you require.

On a I will get flammed note!! have you considered the new BMW 1 Series? This car will have the edge on the Audi for driving abilities but not looks.

had a 2.0fsi for over a month and didnt like it.. i had a 1.8t golf and compared to that the golf was the winner everytime. now have a 3.2 a3 and love it to bits..

golf all together... better handling and powerwise..

but the new audi i have whips it on power and not really pushed it fully round the corners etc yet so.. cant comment on that.

Thanks for all the feedback guys...very helpful.
I think i'm going to go with the 2.0FSI. I think that the new A3 is alot better looking car against the soon to obselete Mk4 Golf and alot less of them on the road /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Once again, thanks for your help.

Hi Stealth

I don't know which Golf you have, but before finally choosing the 2.0 FSI, make sure you drive one first. I currently have an A3 1.8T and assumed the 2.0 FSI would be the one to go for. But when I actually drove the FSI I was very disappointed. No where near the same get up and go as my 1.8T.

In the end, having tried the FSI and the 2.0 TDI I found the TDI much more like my 1.8T and much more enjoyable to drive. I have ordered mine with the DSG gearbox for extra fun.

Dave

had to take my TDI back for a small fault (fu#ked gearbox)audi lent me a 2.0FSI it felt a lot slower then the TDI but on a stop watch test it was about the same, TDI just a bit faster /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gifand the FSI cost me £20 in petrol when TDI £10 so i whoud get a TDI mate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Irish, seeing you've never even driven those 2 cars, those comments sound so pathetic. You're like a bit paranoid with your attitude "VW wants to make petrol look better".

Take those 2 cars to goddamn 1/4 mile road, and drive them. For some reason, everyone seems to get same/better results with FSI, when they use timing methods.

What you're claiming on the other hand is that your butt dyno is more accurate than any timing device. Well, peteTDI seemed to take against clock too, seeing it was about the same. Little differencies to direction or another are of course natural, with different take off and so on.

But it'll be interesting to hear Irish, how are you going to prove that your butt dyno is so accurate. You haven't shown any facts to your claims so far.

- Yak

Yak will you ever grow a brain before I get on a plane and beat you til you have one. I have driven, now please WRITE THESE DOWN THIS TIME SO YOU DON'T FORGET, a 1.8T standard and chipped, a 2.0FSI A3 standard and a 2.0TDI A3 also standard.

I've caned the f**k out of my 1.8T and on acceleration EVERY SINGLE GODDAM F88KING TIME I COULDN'T CATCH UP WITH THE PD150 I WAS RACING.

I'm going to get a load of the boys from UKMKIVS to come over here and explain it all to you cause you're some ****** stubborn ignoramous.

Whoa, lets stop the arguing. It seems there is a difference of opinions here, but just remember its only opinions!
No need to be at each others necks!
Thanks for all the information though guys, i'm actually upgrading from a 1.6 Golf so I think the 2.0FSI should be sufficient for me, however i'm going to do my best to get a test drive first.
Thanks again.

Hello again Yak

Will you please accept that as far as performance of the standard cars are concerned their is no real difference between the two A3 models:

2.0 FSI manual 0-62mph 9.1 top speed 132 mph

2.0 TDI manual 0-62mph 9.5 top speed 129 mph

add the DSG gearbox into the equation and the figures are even closer:

2.0 TDI DSG 0-62mph 9.2 top speed 133 mph.

Each version has its own merits and will possibly appeal to different drivers. The biggest difference is in fuel consumption. Again according to Audi's own figures:

2.0 FSI manual combined cycle - 38.2 mpg

2.0 TDI manual combined cycle - 50.4 mpg

2.0 TDI DSG combined cycle - 53.3 mpg.

Similar performance for much less fuel.

The most important point is for anyone considering either model is to DRIVE them both first and choose which one appeals to them most.

Dave

Ive had loads of Golf GTI 'T's The last one being the Anni 180 Turbo.
I now own a A3 TDI as i felt it had the feel of my old Golfs
The 2.0 FSi just felt slow......

So its Diesel for me !!!!

Yak nobody is claiming the diesel is majorly faster at all, what I am claiming is that the FSI isn't faster.

Maybe you wanna annoy someone in VW too but I can tell you their 9.5 secs on 0-60 on a PD150 is rubbish cause it's more like the low 8's...

What [censored] me off it that you're so sure of yourself here.

OK so in summary we have:

In the left corner: YAK, who believes that the 2.0 FSI is a better car.

In the right corner: IRISH who believes that the 2.0 TDI is a better car.

Neither is going to be convinced of each others opinion.

So either you can carry on banging your heads against a brick wall or just agree to disagree.

Irish, if you're so convinced it's low 8s, I'm sure you can provide us a sample run with a A3 TDI. I'm sure every owner would be happy.

Then again, if you're compare some other car, it's like comparing apples to oranges, and has no relevance whatsoever to this discussion.

Stealth, normal gasoline is at least here 95 octane, while the more expensive one is 98 (the difference is here: 95 costs 1,12e/l and 98 costs 1,14e/l). So there's at least here no real difference in price. Well, everytime you fill up the tank (55l) you save 1,1e. You can buy a lollipop for that price, but you can't afford mailing it to Irish.

- Yak

Yak I was talking about a PD150 on it's own merits nothing to do with an Audi A3 you thick fool.

And by the way, will you look outside your ****** country for one minute - we're not talking about Finland petrol prices, the majority of people here are from the UNITED KINGDOM!!!

In Ireland unleaded is 88c and super plus is 117c on average so excuse FU8KING me if that's not a fair whack in price difference.

well the yank's are getting 1.8turbo's when the A3 get's there so that should [censored] off all the petrol head's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://www.audi-sport.net/ubbthreads/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1081038495DaveA3Turbo">

Which would you pick?
<input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />A3 2.0 FSI
<input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />A3 2.0 TDI
<INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

Dave Personally as Irish says paper figures mean nothing.

How did they get those figures? Pedal to the metal / Drop the Clutch / Red Lining? Real Day driving, this is my dads opinion the TDI is alot quicker evem to 60. (Thats our opinion don't flame)

Dave

If I was keeping my A3 for longer thasn 6 months I would have gone for the TDi but sadly I am being a traitor and going for the 1 Series Diesel in Sept as there does not seem to be a more powerful diesel version of the A3 on the horizon, unless anybody knows different?

[ QUOTE ]
JezyG said:
If I was keeping my A3 for longer thasn 6 months I would have gone for the TDi but sadly I am being a traitor and going for the 1 Series Diesel in Sept as there does not seem to be a more powerful diesel version of the A3 on the horizon, unless anybody knows different?

[/ QUOTE ]

The 2.0 BMW unit is a cracking engine - the wife used to have a 320d compact and it was a terrific car. AFAIK a more powerful diesel is planned for the A3 and MkV Golf is planned (rumours of 170bhp ish) whether this will be a modified version of the 2.0TDI I don't know - one magazine even said a 5 Cyl 2.5TDI was on the way which I could only assume would be a version of the R5 engine used in the Touraeg.

Yep the 2.0 is good I had a 320d ES Saloon, the 120d is supposed to be the new 2.2 version of it giving 163Bhp, sure VAG won't be far behind just to keep up.

I think the new A3 is very stylish and I love the headlamps, the interior IMO is better than my 3 Series saloon.

Maybe BM should poach Audi's designer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JezyG, BMW with a new Audi grille? Now that would be horrible /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

- Yak