Aluminum S8 DSG Paddles?!

... so after all these posts someone clarify? I have a standard three spoke sport steering wheel with awful plastic creaky paddles - are we saying that these can be removed from the steering wheel and new ally ones screwed on as a direct replacement (ie no sawing or chopping or gluing required?)

steve184 said:
... so after all these posts someone clarify? I have a standard three spoke sport steering wheel with awful plastic creaky paddles - are we saying that these can be removed from the steering wheel and new ally ones screwed on as a direct replacement (ie no sawing or chopping or gluing required?)

Yep that's what I've been told, I've ordered a set today and I should have them by Friday week. I'll let you know how much fun they are to fit and take some pictures.

that will be good mike! 'How-to' would be even better! reckon you wil have to take steering wheel off???

No need to remove steering wheel. In fact easier if you don't as when it is attached it is at least not rolling around all over the place. You only need access to the back of the wheel to undo screws fixing the air bag

Already mentioned above but just to clarify.

1) Disconnect battery. (You don't want the airbag going off do you?)
2) Remove 2 plastic bungs from rear of steering wheel (turn wheel to get access to them)
3) Undo 2 screws at back of wheel to release airbag. These screws are captive screws. You don't actually remove them, just undo then untill the airbag is released.
4) Unplug Airbag and remove completely.
5) Where the spokes meet the center of the wheel you will see the multifunction switches. These are held in by small lugs that you will need to release with a small screwdriver. This is a bit fiddly. If you don't have MFSW there will still be some blanking plates that are removed in the same way.
6) Once the multifunction switches are released you will gain access to the inside of the steering wheel spokes.
7) inside the spokes you will find one screw holding each DSG paddle switch in place.
8) Remove the screw.
9) Remove cable from old DSG switch.

Installation of new paddle is reverse of above.

Hope that helps.

you could always buy 1 of the plastic paddles from the A3 and 1 from the TT. It will be a waste of money but might work out cheaper than buying the alloy ones.

N8KOW said:
Indeed he is, marms how am I gonna find out if the aluminium ones fit mine wheel then? People at audi are useless....
Well I know you have bought a TT FBMFSW but as you are buying a DSG car then the original wheel will have the black paddles. If these black paddles fit your TT wheel then the part numbers for the aluminum version above will also fit.

I expect however that they will not as the TT paddles are a different part number.

Looks like you are going to have to wait for your car to arrive before you will know for sure.

so can you just buy these ally paddles from audi as seperate items? For a standard 3-spoke A3 sport steering wheel (2007)?

The standard black paddles have obviously changed as well since I had my 140 in 2004. The ones on the 140 made a clicky noise ever time you operated them but the ones on my March 2007 170 a silent in operation.

When I drove the 140 I very rarely used the paddles, perhaps because they were so clicky, but now I find I use them all the time.

h5djr said:
The standard black paddles have obviously changed as well since I had my 140 in 2004. The ones on the 140 made a clicky noise ever time you operated them but the ones on my March 2007 170 a silent in operation.

When I drove the 140 I very rarely used the paddles, perhaps because they were so clicky, but now I find I use them all the time.

Mine must be a 'Monday' car then because my March 2007 paddles are 'awful' in terms of quality - one reason why i don't use them too much

Are they solid ally? the paddle part? do they fell pretty solid compared with the plastic ones?

hmmm - no different from the normal ones then? plastic is plastic whatever colour its painted!

Mine are definitely not painted.

They have an alloy body with a plastic inlay in the back. I would say they feel a fair bit meatier to use than my original DSG paddles. Come of the above post give the impression that the s8 paddles are tacky, they are not. Having the back plastic also means they are not cold to the touch.

Don't those pictures shown an alloy face with black platic background ?

Yes and No. As I see them the paddles are made of aluminium which has been hollowed out to put in the illumination for the +/- and then a black plastic infill. The paddles are definitely more aluminium than they are plastic. Not just an alloy face.

Steve, I notice you are in Lincolnshire so you are more than welcome to have a look at them, in situ, in my car if you are still unsure.

I may take you up on that offer when I'm allowed o spend on the car :) i'm in stamford, where are you ?

I'm north of the wash :) nearest 'big' place is Lincoln.

Know what you mean about the spending though. I doubt I could justify the £110 for little paddles. Mine were free and came attached to a rather lovely multi-function steering wheel.

So did anyone get round to fitting these? I'm thinking of buying a FBMFSW to replace my current non-MF, and i think the silver paddles would look good! Are these on the new S3 DSG?

Cheers :)