DSG Alloy Paddles

Guess what arrived in the post this morning......yep you guessed it £280 worth of aluminium. Shaped like paddles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

Paddles

I am going to do my bit and check them out to allow for shrinkage, and if I get time put them on the car for piccies, and to test them obviously /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Then post them on tomorrow for them to start mould.

******....the downshift paddle has a small 'dent' in the outside edge so is being replaced by VAG parts. Hopefully get replacement by weekend. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Could coolio, David67 and fuzzynapper please pm or e-mail me as I have had no contact from you guys as yet. Probably sunning yourselves in some exotic location while we all slave away....

Not that i'm jealous in any way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nice flaps, I mean paddles....
No, I have been freezing my bits off in Poland actually.....Nice to be back to balmy blighty.
Japper- email me fuzzynapper@hotmail.com
Regards,

Just curious - why does the golf paddle have +/off on the right hand one?

Does the VW DSG do something different?

miket,

Yep wondered that myself, but can't answer your question. Perhaps it was to do with launch control ?.

[ QUOTE ]
What's the latest big man?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the damaged paddle that went back to VAG parts will not be replaced by VW germany. So it's getting sent back to me yesterday ( haven't got it yet ) and the manufacturer is going to fill and polish the 'dent' before making the mould. They are still quoting 4 weeks from receiving R32 paddles. So they should get them friday, so I should have the finished article around the 21st April. Everyone should get them a day or two later.

Oh, and i'm still awaiting a few cheques guys, I have to cough up big bucks on Friday.

I will keep you all up to date as the time gets closer.

Cheers Japper, all I need now is the car to arrive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Alert... Alert.....

All members in the group buy for Ali paddles need to check this out. I have just found this on Audiworld and it looks different to version on A3 3dr and TT.

Sportback_Paddles

Sorry guys but if this is true and you have a sportback, I'll have to refund you and find other buyers......bummer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

Please check this out asap, and let me know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

So I think this affects the following:

rankrotten, bowfer, Outlore and Cats.

Fobber, is yours a sportback ?.

I so hope this is not true /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

Perhaps one of the guys with a Sportback could check to see if the paddles are different in any way.

I havent got my car yet but it is a SB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

If I can and no one else has confirmed I will try and get into a dealer to check this out.... anyone have a close pic of a 3dr or TT for confirmation?

Hi Japper

My car is the same as the pic. Must have changed it with the new style wheel

damn and drat.....

bowfer, any chance of meeting up, so I can take yours off to compare with mine ?. This seems the only way to check this for sure.

Nice to have met you Japper,and cheers for taking the photos. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Bummer that the alloys paddles won't fit the sportback.
Who would have thought they'd differ between the 3 door and the SB ?!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Never mind,the 'refund' will go towards mudflaps !
Cheers again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Nice to have met you Japper,and cheers for taking the photos. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Bummer that the alloys paddles won't fit the sportback.
Who would have thought they'd differ between the 3 door and the SB ?!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Never mind,the 'refund' will go towards mudflaps !
Cheers again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

bowfer,

Likewise, good to have met you, and i'm not jealous of your luuuuuvvvvlyyyy motor, honest /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Sorry, about the DSG Ali Paddles, cause that would have just finished your motor off nicely /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Will post piccies later, no problem mate, glad to help.

[ QUOTE ]
what's the scoop, are you still going ahead, or do you need to source more buyers first?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't panic matey, still going ahead, mastercard taking a battering for a few weeks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I will now put out the four places to UK TT Forum guys that are interested to fill the new places.

So, rankrotten, Cats, bowfer, and Outlore, sorry but these wont fit the new steering wheel design, so I will refund amounts paid by cheque asap.

[ QUOTE ]
Yep thanks guys.... would have looked awesome too......

Damn big nose steering wheels!!!!!

Speaking of the new direction selection circle design - do you remember "chads" the little dudes with a huge nose peeking over a wall with a caption of "What no XXX"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, once again sorry for you DSG Sportback guys that were supporting the Group Buy. There is some hopeful news for you though in that there is an Aluminium version listed for the USA market. If anyones got an up to date copy of ETKA or maybe VAG parts can try and trace them. I dont think they'll be any bigger than std. but at least better than plastic.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for pics on Audiworld.

Hi guys,

Just a wee update to keep everyone in the loop. Progressed this today and it is proceeding albeit a little slower than anticipated. As the hinge pin hole and the +/- features are seperately engineered into the mould then it's taken a little longer than quoted. I should hopefully now have these by late next week, as the mould is due back in next couple of days and will be assembled late this week.

I will give you more details this time next week peeps..

It will be worth the wait in the end /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jump.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Hi guys,

Just a wee update to keep everyone in the loop. Progressed this today and it is proceeding albeit a little slower than anticipated. As the hinge pin hole and the +/- features are seperately engineered into the mould then it's taken a little longer than quoted. I should hopefully now have these by late next week, as the mould is due back in next couple of days and will be assembled late this week.

I will give you more details this time next week peeps..

It will be worth the wait in the end /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jump.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well had a call today to say the mould is now assembled and complete. I have asked if they can mould a 'first' off later this week to send to me to double check everything is fine. They will let me know asap if this is possible. Then the full batch should be moulded sometime early next week. I dont know how long it takes for them to 'satin' polish them after that but hopefully only a couple of days /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif

Well I received the sample set this morning - see pics below

Good news is that they fit the control part and generally look to be of good quality. There is still a lot of tidying up to do, but i am assured this is part of the polishing process.

Bad news is that the hinge pins dont fit, and the +/- indicators have not been cast into each paddle. The hinge pin holes can be reamed out. The +/- on the first 16 sets will be machined in to rectify the situation quickly. The mould will then be modified to suit any future orders.

No rest for the wicked eh !!

Paddle1
Paddle 2

Looking good on the paddles.

Getting may Audi A3 3 door in September with new front grill.

I do like that design so I may have a pair of you as well?

Japper,

Whilst mooching around on Fouritude.com, I came across this thread (Clicky)

I've been following your thread and I thought you might find this interesting. Apologies If you've seen this before.

Well I received the polished samples yesterday, so here are a couple of pics.

Pic1 Pic2

Pic2 shows 2 polised against 1 as cast.

They only polished the back face and edge for some reason so can't show the front. But as you can see the finish is good. I have told them to proceed with the full batch. These should be cast on the 17th and then they need to have the + and - feature CNC engraved and then go to polishing. So although they are coming along they're taking their time. I am on vacation from the 28th for 10 days, so if I dont get them the weekend before this then we're looking at mid July.

I am chasing them whenever possible, but also want them right so don't want to push them into sending out sub std. work.

Japper wrote:
bertied wrote:
Hi Japper.

I don't want to moan but these items are taking an age to manufacture. Can you please get a confirmed date for delivery for us as soon as you return from holiday?

Thanks

Just back from hols earlier today and paddles have not arrived. It was too late to phone them so will have to wait till Monday.

Please believe me when I say I am totally pi**ed off with this total fiasco and ultimately that blame must rest on my wee shoulders. I will pin them down on Monday, or totally lose the plot with them, whatever mood I happen to be in.

I do appreciate everyones patince and also appreciate that this must be wearing thin.

I will post update asap on Monday

Right, just got to the bottom of this and here is the latest update.

It seems that because the manager was on hols that the paddles just sat to one side as nobody new what was needed anybody smell bullsh*te

They have had the hinge pin holes reamed to size and are being etched with the +/- feature tomorrow. They will then go straight into polishing.

They have promised me that they will be despatched no later than tuesday of next week. This would mean delivery to everyone by the 22nd.

I will phone them on Friday to make sure this schedule remains on target.

Thanks all.

No worries dude, we all appreciate the time and effort you've put into this and the problems you've had that have been outside of your control.

I'm sure they will be worth the wait.

J.

Where do I start ?.....Well, received the Paddles this afternoon and to put it mildly, I'm not f*cking impressed. They are not to a standard anywhere approaching that befitting of the Audi brand. I can post pictures if anyone wants a laugh, but I don't think anyone's laughing. I am awaiting the manager phoning me back, but I don't believe that many, if any of the 16 sets are rectifyable, as they're scratched / pin holes / chunks out of. I really have put a lot of effort into this and am truly gutted at the results of my one and ONLY group buy.

I welcome anyones thought but unless the supplier can sort this out ASAP, then I think the only way is to refund everyone. If this is the case, then I'll refund and then fight the supplier to regain costs, leaving me with one set of original paddles, also scratched / dented and with no + / - left on at the bargain price of £300+.

Yours, totally, totally, totally pi**ed off.

Oh and did I say sorry

Japper,

I'm sure none of us want you to be out of pocket, not with all the hassle you've gone to.

If they're no good and you want to cancel the lot, then thats fine by me.
I for one would suggest we all share your costs between us (plus a few pints) with a new cheque.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Cheers for the support guys, as i'm sure it's a big dissapointment to us all !

Cheers for the support Johnwx. I sent all the paddles back before going away last week. They phoned me on Friday asking why I hadn't sent the R32 ones back too, as they need these to compare.....WTF !. 'So you need 'good' ones to see how bad yours are thaen eh' The fact that they're scratched / dented / pitholes and generally all of different shapes obviously is beyond them. It's like I have entered a time warp, because when I did the original planning / vetting of them they were clued up, professional and sounded on the ball. Now they have lost the plot !

Needless to say, that due to MY judgement that there is no way I trust / believe they can offer what indeed they quoted for, I refused to send the R32 ones back and have told them that I have cancelled the order. I have been busy all week catching up, but have not heard from them since. I am planning to speak to them again to make sure they're in agreement and to sort out refund.

I'll keep you informed, but will start arranging refund cheques ASAP.

[ QUOTE ]
I'll get a set. That's what? like $165.00 dollars right? Count me in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Zenitram, I take it as your in the US that you have the Sportback so these paddles would not fit anyway. And also as you can see from my latest posts, the GB is now cancelled as the quality from the manufacturer was pants !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Thanks for all your hard work mate.

Please make sure your not out of pocket in anyway at the end of this. Take it off my refund if you have to.

Or atleast have a beer on me.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif