Custom Code Phase 1 at Storm Developments today – REVIEW

Felon

Slightly odd.
Reaction score
Arrived 915 am. Miles (who did the work) plugged his kit in and got on with it. There was a slight problem with my battery not producing enough of a charge to complete the download of my ECU code – but otherwise everything went exactly to plan. The job was done by 11 am and after a quick test drive by Miles first, then me, I was happy to pay and drive away.

This isn’t the first time I’ve had a remap (on a different car before – A4 1.8T 190 QS at AMD) but I am really impressed with the car. It pulls hard smoothly and cleanly right through the rev range and according to Miles, will get better over the next few weeks.

I chose Custom Code over Revo because it seemed from some comments on this board that CC was less harsh than Revo. I can’t really compare the two because I haven’t had the experience of Revo, but on balance felt that a smoother drive would suit me best. Put it this way, the 40 odd mile drive home to Winchester put plenty of smiles on my face and I look forward to many more.

Numbers wise, Storm reckon about 270bhp with an equivalent increase in torque. To be honest I’m not bothered so much about the numbers – it’s the way the car drives that’s more important.

Otherwise, the service at Storm was excellent. There’s a nice big comfy leather sofa and a stack of car mags to read and the first thing they asked me was how I took my tea! Both Miles and Andy were sociable and happy to explain exactly what was going on as well as explain what they were doing to a variety of Golfs in their workshop (including fitting a 3.6L Q7 engine to a Golf Mk IV...)

I would be very happy to recommend them.

Hope that’s useful to those on this board that are considering the same or something similar.

JBS used to be Revo dealers and supposidly Revo stopped their contract because they wanted to alter the Revo maps slightly which Revo wouldn't allow, hence how Custom Code was formed.

Another satisfied customer for the CC portfolio

Well good to here Felon, as a few people have said it goes like it should have been made in the first place! :) The CC map is super smooth I will have to argee there, sorry Nick! (I know how he loves his REVO!)

Be aware of your coil packs in the next few days! ;)

The grin factor will continue for a few more days, still in my first week and still loving it although my brakes aren't! ;)

Enjoy!!

Aky said:
mine haven't and mines been remaped since December 2006

Dam lucky man!

Maybe just unlucky then! I know coil packs a expected to fail regardless, just that mine failed 2 days afterwards! And you know it wasn't cylinder 1 or 2, yep cylinder 3 boo...

Felon said:
Numbers wise, Storm reckon about 270bhp with an equivalent increase in torque. To be honest I’m not bothered so much about the numbers – it’s the way the car drives that’s more important.
Thats exactly what i think too.

Yep i had a CC remap in Formula 1 in Brighton and was well pleased

Felon said:
Are the coil packs more prone to failure as a result of the remap??

IMO yes, i've had two fail since it was remapped, however the car was running all the original version J packs. Mine have all been updated to version R (currnt one).

Just out of interest, how much was it to replace them? My S3 is still under dealer warranty so i guess they should do it as part of that?

New coil pack around £30 a pack, nothing expensive! :)

Felon said:
Just out of interest, how much was it to replace them? My S3 is still under dealer warranty so i guess they should do it as part of that?

Get them from Vagparts for circa £22 inc. Vat per pack, then fit them yourself for nowt. Bear in mind that you will need a hex bit to remove the ancillary parts above cylinder 3 and possibly 4.

Is it only JBS who are doing a one day special on the custom code remaps?
Just wondering if other CC dealers are doing the same deal in the surrey area?

as far as i know, its a JBS only offer, but I could be wrong! its not so much an offer, but more of a promo day, they are having display cars, dyno runs, half price maps, and even a BBQ on the day, so i doubt its nation wide.

Worth checking though.

I'm going to the JBS 2 for 1 day on 27th Oct for the Custom Code map, can't wait now after reading this!

Bump :

Just contacted Storm as now i have the good ol S3 back i am itching to get it remapped. I asked Storm if i got the Phase 1 remap if there anything else they would reccomend fitting at the same time to make the most of the remap. Miles who replied to me suggested that i get a performance air panel filter @ £45 and a Forge DV @ £100. Should i go for those aswell as the remap or will it be just as good without those extras??

If those bits do make the remap better do those prices sound ok or should i try to source the bits elsewhere and get storm to put them on when they remap it?

Out of interest the stock DV on my car is basically brand new as it got replaced whilst my car was in the garage for the last few weeks.

I run 350hp on stock dv. I had lots of issues with aftermarket piston valves like bailey and forge, that can stick.

Yes with a piston valve you get a little woosh, phsst noise, but the car drives a lot nicer on the stock brand new audi diaphram dv.
It may fail wiht the higher boost, but you know instantly and they are a safe fail.
There is no power benefit of an aftermarket dv at all.

So might just try it with the stock one then. I

I suppose its not that hard to fit one after the remap if i wanted to anyway.

What about the panel filter any benefits of that??

When I went - I just had the standard remap - no extras - and it's been fine. Mind you mine has only done 45k miles so the DV was fine. They never mentioned the perf air panel filter. All that has happened since is that I have been driving round with a big grin on my face... oh and a coilpack went about 3 days later. My view is not to bother with the extras unless you think you need them.

Glad to see you've got your car back by the way!

I use a stock dv aswell i got a brand new forge sitting in my garage i fitted it and the car didnt seem to drive as good unsure why so i took it off .. its an item for ebay i think lol..

Cheers for the info guys.

Think i will just go for the remap first then and save the cash for all the petrol i will use once the remap has been done cos i'm sure my right foot will become alot heavier.