Audi S4 B8.5 can’t select ADS and efficiency mode

HarveW

Reaction score
Hi, I’ve just seen a S4 B8.5, same as mine with efficiency mode. Which mine does not have… anyone know why? Also I can’t select my driving mode while moving and it’s really annoying if want to switch from comfort to dynamic. Is there any fix, coding I can do to change this?
Photos were taken on a private road

Attachments

• 01763D7E-ACF7-4152-A500-AF94AEE7C4EF.jpeg
    01763D7E-ACF7-4152-A500-AF94AEE7C4EF.jpeg
    802.5 KB · Views: 195
  • 27FDB681-64EB-4661-A497-F41069830718.jpeg
    27FDB681-64EB-4661-A497-F41069830718.jpeg
    717.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 9736CE84-0577-44D0-8047-0061B7B0CF69.jpeg
    9736CE84-0577-44D0-8047-0061B7B0CF69.jpeg
    423.9 KB · Views: 50
Not sure about the screen blocking while driving but you can change the options to show others but only have a max of 5 activated so you may need to turn another off to try the others.

This should help

Sent from my NE2213 using Tapatalk

Not sure about the screen blocking while driving but you can change the options to show others but only have a max of 5 activated so you may need to turn another off to try the others.

This should help

Thanks, I am going to give this a go! I mean im not expecting to get much better MPG… I can’t see anything about the changing ADS while not stationary. It is very annoying. Other S4 B8/.5 seen don’t have this problem, so I wondered if it was a coding thing

Does the actual drive select button work while driving?

I don’t have a drive select button, only “Car” which brings this menu up

Attachments

• 331CBA04-ECE4-45FE-B188-CB2196E1C617.jpeg
    331CBA04-ECE4-45FE-B188-CB2196E1C617.jpeg
    423.9 KB · Views: 43

Thanks man it worked much appreciated, im going to test it out tomorrow. Now to fix the drive select while driving

Attachments

• 9C876748-D8C5-4AA7-B668-07C901ED164A.png
    9C876748-D8C5-4AA7-B668-07C901ED164A.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 48
Ah good. It may be that as it seems someone has activated the drive select option menu without installing the physical button, maybe it's a general restriction of the MMI screen that you can't use it while driving. Obviously the button is there to make it safer to press while driving than fiddling with the menus.
But... usually there's a way to override stuff like this in the adaptations so keep searching you may find the answer.

Ah good. It may be that as it seems someone has activated the drive select option menu without installing the physical button, maybe it's a general restriction of the MMI screen that you can't use it while driving. Obviously the button is there to make it safer to press while driving than fiddling with the menus.
But... usually there's a way to override stuff like this in the adaptations so keep searching you may find the answer.

Hmmm interesting, I thought ADS was a standard option on the S4. The modes do change the personality of the car from dynamic making steering wheel feel heavier, engine, gear box etc. funny how things have changed, now the put a massive iPad in your face you can use while driving! Again thanks for your help, I will keep having a look!

ADS was never standard. I have read that if the button is retrofitted it works properly.

ADS was never standard. I have read that if the button is retrofitted it works properly.
Yes, doing some research yesterday. I found out it was not standard which is a shame. I’m not to over concerned about it really. But I thought if I had it, I want it to work properly

Thanks. I don’t really understand though. So as you can see from the post above,my car has these drive select modes, but does not have the button for it. I’m assuming the drive modes have just been programmed in and does nothing, although I believe I can feel a different in steering and throttle, but I don’t know if that’s in my head lol. That being the case how does this retrofit change the personality of the car, like the steering in dynamic? So what is the difference between this Retrofit and what I already have

The primary purpose of ADS is to control the 3 cost options of dynamic steering, dynamic suspension and sports differential. Of the 3 the latter is of highest value benefit, to the subset of owners whose driving style pushes the standard rear differential beyond its limits. The dynamic suspension is also good to aid such driving, although aftermarket suspension can be better, but it can also be used to soften the ride when best comfort is needed. The dynamic steering is the most subtle of the three because it changes the ratio. This makes the steering tighter in lively driving but can also make it much lighter for parking. There is also a fourth optional system affected by ADS and this is the braking guard part of the automated cruise control. This changes the activation sensitivity so that it is less aggressive in dynamic mode (which is quite important).

In addition to this ADS provides the option to change the shift points of the s-tronic transmission. As most S-car owners quickly realise, the points in drive are set really low and the car gets into the higher gears really quickly. This keeps the revs low and the engine sluggish. To get the car to move it is necessary to force kick-down. Fortunately sport mode exists with shift points set much higher to take advantage of the engine. ADS dynamic automatically puts the transmission into sport mode. But ADS can make the car much more sluggish. Comfort and Economic mode makes sure that gears 3-6 are used as sparingly as possible and the transmission will only grudgingly let go of gear 7.

The ADS setting in your photos (plus economic) have pre-set controls for the equipment. Supposedly Auto adjusts whilst driving but I never notice anything. Individual allows custom settings. I mostly have Individual set which is similar to Auto and just change to Dynamic when I want to drive fast. I select Comfort when I have "sensitive" passengers, and Economic when I realise that I really ought to have refuelled the car sooner.

In the facelift (2012) model ADS also changes throttle response in dynamic mode. To me this might be the only real benefit of ADS to cars which don't have the options. Also, as you have suggested, I understand that because the facelift model has electric steering, Audi was able to have ADS provide some variation in control of the standard (non-dynamic) steering.

As I hope you understand, the only thing that has been done in your car is to "hack" ADS - probably using the "green screen" engineering mode. Since this is a hack the results are limited. As I noted, with the button retrofit the functionality should increase, but without the optional equipment it will still be limited. Also note that the Kufatec kit in that link is for the pre-facelift model.

Yes, doing some research yesterday. I found out it was not standard which is a shame. I’m not to over concerned about it really. But I thought if I had it, I want it to work properly
@DJAlix is your man to get this retrofitted, he completed the full process on my 2016 S5, wiring, coding & fitted the correct ADS switch.

JG