Head unit upgrade time.

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Having sold the Sony HU that I removed from the S4 I'm going to upgrade my current Alpine ilX 702d HU to the latest version, iLX705D.
All the reviews are good and it has dual USB ports which is something I miss with the 702, also the 705 has wireless apple car play another big improvement along with improved screen resolutions.
So with the sale of the sony and if I sell on the 702 I will recoup a good portion of the new 705 outlay.

This was also on my radar at some point. I have A sony unit and whilst it is a lovely bit of kit , touch screen etc there is one drawback and that is the wired car play. One USB port means I cant use my magsafe phone holder to charge the phone as then it wont connect to the head unit as it needs the normal USB connection which is a pain. Not the end of the world but everytime I get into the car I have to connect up my phone to use carplay and then remember to unplug it. Then I saw these retrofit units like the Pairr 4.0 which could be the answer but they dont support Sony head units.

So this exact model is on my radar. Looks to be a promising candidate and I do love alpine

The alpine kit does work really well with some nice functions too.
The only reason I'm upgrading to the 705 is for the dual USB and wireless car play, otherwise, I can't fault it, and to be honest, the single USB and wired car play are not a fault, just what was available at the time.

And it still retains buttons to control many functions as well as on-screen, full screen buttonless is fine but I'm old school and like the button control .:thumbs up:

Looking online I may be able to save a few £ as I wont need the harness to allow steering wheel controls as my RS4 steering wheel wont do that so maybe just the unit itself. It just starts getting silly money when you start adding on all the extra bits like reversing camera, steering wheel controls etc.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
I only need the HU as its a direct swap over, but i'll be ordering the CD player as well as I do miss it.

I thought I'd just compare tech details etc before ordering one and i'm glad i did now, for the better.
Seems like a few good improvements over the ilx702, the dual USB thats a biggy, wireless car play is another good one, better screen res, etc.
But also has two external camera connections now for the rear and front /side , 702 only has one port.
Dash cam port as well so you can get live on screen etc.
Probably order the optional control knob aswell.
So certainly worth the upgrade.

Given that’s it Black Friday and cypher Monday have you seen any good deals
The best I have seen is around £500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

£549 after a quick snoop , £499 on another site but not a stock item so that is a non starter.

just put my 702 in classifieds.

whilst snooping for 705 deals the 702's are still selling for good money new and very few used for sale.

well for that matter i've yet to find a used one for sale, except mine.

Reactions: swisstony
Sounds like you know more than me ( not hard :) )
if I have the ISO harness for both the mukltifunction steering wheel controls and the reverse camera unit and then all important cage/fascia. Am I right in assuming that all I need is the head unit itself and nothing else ?

What you need to ascertain is what the factory fit OEM HU was, that will clarify what OEM loom is fitted and what aftermarket kit has been used to interface with both the aftrmarket HU and the OEM Bus.
You need to identify what connection you have currently active, such as rear cam, mfsw etc and is it full bose.
Alpine HU's tend to use their own accessories such as cameras etc and the leads will be specific, but they also supply (as an option) adapter fly leads now so a standard cam can be used.
the 702 uses a specific camera with specific plugs , not just the plain RCA type plug found on other setups, but the newer 705 still uses that format but as i said Alpine offer adapter flyleads to over come the problem.

for you to do a straight swap you need to have an ISO to quadlock loom kit , the alpine kits will have all the looms that it needs included based around the ISO bus , so just a matter of checking whats you have loom wise fitted to the sony unit.
I suspect your sony will be connected via something like a connects2 kit .

Even though the RS4 FBSW has no function with the head unit directly the steering wheel adaptor part of the kit still needs to be connected to the setup.

If you are not fussed about cams etc being fitted then I would say based on what is fitted at the moment you can just get away with the HU, but as with everything check your wiring first to be sure it's all correct.

just refresh my grey cells, what head unit is fitted at present?

Sorry Rob didnt manage to reply last night
My unit currently is a Sony
XAV-AX3005DB. It sits in a double din cage but I know it is a single din unit.
When I was sorting out the mess of wiring I toook loads of photos to remind me how it all went back in so some may help answer your questions.
I have added in red arrows to point tos tuff that I think you are asking .
I know I have the adaptor for the MFSW as obviously that all worked using this unit and the old steering wheel.
I must have some form of quad lock interface or adaptor to go from the original wiring into this unit. I can also see evidence tucked right down at the bottom of the original wiring to the Audi unit.
Camera. I can see a dedicated port for that which I believe goes into that Connect 2 interface as again that is present in the photos.
Anyway posting them here to see what you think
IMG 1030

Looks like the connect 2 interface top left, the big adaptor bottom left and the aeriel middle of picture ?
IMG 1028 1

Camera port ?

IMG 1027 1

thats the same unit as i removed from the S4 i had for a short time.

Based on that and your pics you will need a camera adapter flylead with the alpine hu , otherwise your good to go.

thats the same unit as i removed from the S4 i had for a short time.

Based on that and your pics you will need a camera adapter flylead with the alpine hu , otherwise your good to go.
Thanks rob, I thought I would. I might give the chaps at Dynamics sounds a call and check out this flylead but agree I should be good to go.
My wife's Fiat 500 is due an upgrade as well so I am thinking of donating my Sony unit and getting a fascia double din unit for her car so she can use this one. Brownie points as I get to reuse the sony unit and she gets an upgrade :)

In the end I did call them and think I have it sussed. Got the head unit ( same as you are going for ) £549 best price though knowing my luck it will drop in price the very next day. Only needed a universal cage ( as the Alpine does not come with one ) , and that aerial adaptor thingy you mentioned
Bit of a pain though as today my car went into Auto windscreen to have a new windscreen fitted ( nice crack appeared a few weeks ago ) and they couldnt save the DAB aerial on the windscreen :( so had to order a replacement for that. But that is ok as I can retrofit that later so no big deal.
Next problem is as her ladyship is putting some money towards it for xmas, I cant open it or fit until after xmas ....damn

In the end I did call them and think I have it sussed. Got the head unit ( same as you are going for ) £549 best price though knowing my luck it will drop in price the very next day. Only needed a universal cage ( as the Alpine does not come with one ) , and that aerial adaptor thingy you mentioned
Bit of a pain though as today my car went into Auto windscreen to have a new windscreen fitted ( nice crack appeared a few weeks ago ) and they couldnt save the DAB aerial on the windscreen :( so had to order a replacement for that. But that is ok as I can retrofit that later so no big deal.
Next problem is as her ladyship is putting some money towards it for xmas, I cant open it or fit until after xmas ....damn
It comes with a good GPS antenna but no DAB ariel so thats an add on bit.
Did you ask them about the rear cam fly -lead when using a cam with RCA plug?

I did that’s why I think I mentioned it on my order

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I finally got myself organized today with the external Alpine CD player , ordering the 705D HU tomorrow so hopefully here on friday, that is my Xmas presents sorted.
:yahoo:

All being well fitted on saturday.

Reactions: Gmac
So I finally got myself organized today with the external Alpine CD player , ordering the 705D HU tomorrow so hopefully here on friday, that is my Xmas presents sorted.
:yahoo:

All being well fitted on saturday.
Me too . It is going to be around 5 degrees so well worth an inside job :)

And whilst I'm in custom mode Ill probably try this out.
Can be used in a custom retrofit to replace the ciggy lighter which is handy that way i can retain my single USB aux port in the storage place beneath the arm rest.
I was wondering how id get easy access to both usb ports and the HDMI and still keeping things tidy.

Just found an ilx702d like mine for sale on FB market place for £450....wowcher that makes mine a bargain at £270 with B7 fitting kit.

And whilst I'm in custom mode Ill probably try this out.
Can be used in a custom retrofit to replace the ciggy lighter which is handy that way i can retain my single USB aux port in the storage place beneath the arm rest.
I was wondering how id get easy access to both usb ports and the HDMI and still keeping things tidy.

View attachment 261719
That is quite a clever little custom mod. I know from previous pictures you have a USB port running into your arm rest . I was wondering about the HDMI on this unit and exactly what it could be used for. I have seen YT clips of people using it to mirror their iPhones with the HDMI and USB adaptor so essentially mirror the iphone content onto the Alpine screen and also use an Amazon firestick , again with HDMI and USB to get content like Netflix on the screen. I have about 3 firesticks doing nothing so I may look into that with one of the USB cables from the unit running into the glovebox . dont know yet, will play around with it first to get the basic functions working and go from there .

hu out for delivery tomorrow ,the retro fit cable is not a stock item so I’ll order that next week now

Reactions: swisstony
And another possible fitting, maybe better than the ciggy lighter one as it has a dust cover , probably more places to fit it too.

Just had a thought, I'll need to add my personal Homage to quattro startup logo to the 705 aswell. :thumbs up:
Quattro3

Reactions: Gmac
Whoppee, new one just delivered

Reactions: B7Tourer and Gmac
nice one, mine is sitting in the garage awaiting fitting it

Just had a thought, I'll need to add my personal Homage to quattro startup logo to the 705 aswell. :thumbs up:
View attachment 261785
snap, I am doing something similar but less adventurous :) just found a great alpine website that does the conversion for you from any image and converts it into the correct format. download it onto USB stick and attach it to the second USN port and away it goes. Really handy find and so much easier

It's hard to fault Alpine kit to be honest, and their attention to detail including breaking down the connections into smaller groups is great and decent leads for that matter.