Head unit upgrade time.

I think next payday I'm going to treat myself to one of these. I love my Sony but it's only wired CarPlay and it always refuses to connect first time, drives me mad. I've seen these Pioneers have a higher screen resolution too which I like. If anyone could advise which adapter/converter leads I need for the fit that would be great!

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Would love to see some pictures once you've got it fitted guys!

Reactions: Charlie Farley and swisstony
Doing mine now, pretty easy swap over as I already have the 702d but, there are a few things that one need to keep in mind.
Firstly the GPS ariel is supplied which is good but its a small plug, which may be smaller than your existing fitting.
I was hoping to just plug in my current alpine GPS ariel but the plug won't fit, so I'm de-installing it now to refit the new one supplied.
It's not a problem, just an irritation as it means getting under the dash to extract all the cables that i carefully installed.
As with all the aftermarket upgrades with the B7, you have a lot of wires to deal with, and getting them back into the aperture without damaging something can be tricky even with a single DIN format used with these.
The best plan I find is to drop the glove box which allows access to the void behind the HU so its much easier to maneuver the cables as you slide the HU in.

other than that it is a very straight forward task.
Currently having a tea and choccy biscuit break but will ping up some pics shortly.

Also the USB connections are fixed to the back on this model, on the 702d its a socket direct in the back , so get your USB tails down to an accessible point for future connection etc , otherwise you be pulling the HU out again and thats just bonkers.

a few pics, all in now ,just need to get the dash cleaner out to clean up the trim etc from my mucky finger..lol
fired up before sliding back, just in case, getting access from the side with the glove box out is so much easier, also help with something directly in front of the aperture to help when getting it back in nicely.
time for tea me thinks. :yahoo:
IMG 6110
IMG 6111
IMG 6114
IMG 6117
IMG 6119

Nice job rob looks spot on and glad your install went really well
Wish i could say the same about mine
Unplugged everything on my Sony . Looked at all the cables and realised I was out of my depth . So decided I couldn’t do it.
Plugged my old unit back in and now I seem to have plugged something in wrong and it’s making terrible noises.
So threw everything back into a box and sod it .
Now I have no new unit and no old unit .
Nothing works .
Currently sulking in the garage having a drink

Sorry to hear you have had a few technical issues.
What connections were causing you issues? to be honest you only need to maker a few specific connections that are different from the sony unit.
I'll try to help you out , dont supose you took any pics before unplugging everything, not that makes any difference but sometime there maybe just one wire different.

it will power up with just the alpine iso input lead connected.
you need to remove the wiring kit back to quad lock oem plug then start a fresh.
fit the connect2 adapter lead to the quadlock, thats your base starting point now.
just work through the alpine flylead one at a time connecting up the cables you have.
Dab and GPS have there own sockets so thats them sorted, same with FM ariel, the ariel adapter need power so just hook into the harness for that.
there are 5 other wires that need connecting from the connects 2 loom to the alpine fly leads (speed,handbrake, reverse and remo) they are not all on 1 flylead though but are marked and you can cross ref cable colors from the alpine to connects 2 harness, its pretty straight forward .
you dont need the steering wheel lead from the control box either as you have teh RS4 fbsw.

Just spent a few mins setting up the rear cam and screens etc, thus far really, really pleased with it.
Way more options for personalizing and color settings, Wireless car play comes on straight away.
going to spend a while reading through the manaul now to see what else it does. :yahoo:
IMG 6126
IMG 6127

Reactions: swisstony
Looks fantastic and as you say a ton more personalisation options. Nice one
Did you play with your startup screen yet

Looks fantastic and as you say a ton more personalisation options. Nice one
Did you play with your startup screen yet
nope, next on my to-do list.
I'm still trawling through all the improved options over the 702d, which was great, but this is so much better.

nope, next on my to-do list.
I'm still trawling through all the improved options over the 702d, which was great, but this is so much better.
Well dont forget that alpine website that I mentioned to get the files created for you unless you have done that already

I couldnt find it and if it's quicker than my normal method i'll give it a try.
do you have the link still?

Well dont forget that alpine website that I mentioned to get the files created for you unless you have done that already
Are you going to have another go at fitting?
It's really not that difficult and to be honest it's just the amount of wires that can look a bit daunting, but you only need to do a bit of manual connecting.

I found the most irritating part last time with the 702 was the side rail fittings etc, really fiddly, this time around I marked them with a pencil so I didnt need to spend ages messing around sliding it in and out until it was in the right position, sometimes it is the small details that can make a job really easy.

I couldnt find it and if it's quicker than my normal method i'll give it a try.
do you have the link still?
https://www.alpine.co.uk/fileadmin/...enerator/UG/UG_StartupLogo_Instruction_EN.pdf
when you click on that it should open up the instructions and at the top is the link to the configurator. So have both tabs open to cross reference what they are asking you to do but it is super easy .
Then once done and you have uploaded the image in the correct size , you just download it and it has around 3 files .

Are you going to have another go at fitting?
It's really not that difficult and to be honest it's just the amount of wires that can look a bit daunting, but you only need to do a bit of manual connecting.
I dont know really..I might. right now the old unit is unplugged and just sitting in disgrace in the console. No Power to it so it cant make any horrible noices. The alpine is tossed back into its box and also sitting indisgrace in the garage. Frankly with the way today went they can both sit there until I get the time to have another go or just pay someone to do it. But I appreciate your efforts in trying to explain how it should be done.

Fair enough.
Sounds odd that the sony is malfunctioning, what did you unplug then as the iso loom is pretty well fixed wiring wise and doesnt need messing with.

I still have the connects2 loom here that was used with the same sony HU i had in the S4, if you need any pics of it and connections let me know.

Fair enough.
Sounds odd that the sony is malfunctioning, what did you unplug then as the iso loom is pretty well fixed wiring wise and doesnt need messing with.
god knows, it sounds as though it is speaker or amp wise as when I turn on it it starts making booming, clicking noises even though no music is playing ...tomorrow is another day

just a
god knows, it sounds as though it is speaker or amp wise as when I turn on it it starts making booming, clicking noises even though no music is playing ...tomorrow is another day
yep, maybe sleep on it and look at it tomorrow with fresh eyes.
I think you'll find its a minor wiring glitch/connection.

Reactions: swisstony
I assume you don't have the connect2 wiring diagram for ref purposes.?

I assume you don't have the connect2 wiring diagram for ref purposes.?
correct. It was all plugged in when I got the unit and even though I took photos before I unplugged it all, nothing seems to make sense now .
I agree, something I have done might be minor but at this stage my frustration means i would just hit everything with a hammer. So will come back to it when I am in the right frame of mind.
god knows why they have to make it so complicated...

this is the wiring color arrangement that you need to know irrespective of what HU you are fitting, as you can check which leads on the connects2 loom ( they are not marked as with the sony or alpine) connects to the appropriate wire on the HU loom etc.

I'll need to look into this mirroring thing via the HDMI port, seems to be a novel idea.

I'll need to look into this mirroring thing via the HDMI port, seems to be a novel idea.
The mirroring via HDMI all depends on what you want to do . Two options. Mirror via iPhone ( android as well I guess ) you will need the Lightning multimedia adaptor which is lightning to phone and then two ports out. One for USB-c and one for HDMI . ( USB is power) This now effectively mirrors the content on your phone be it Youtube etc. Intially it will start off small and then go full screen.
I guess ok in some cases but a lot of faff.
Second option is something like an amazon firestick. Again needs both leads, USB and HDMI but this time you can now get all the content from a firestick on there, Netflix etc.
Both of these methods for content playback would of course rely on a data conenction.

Ok attempt 2. Been out to the car and think I have removed the Connect2 loom. So anybody help decipher what is what in the photos. I can recognise the speakers. Assume the black jack pin is the MFSW ? But the blue random cable is a mystery. I think it was powering the DAB aeriel but have no clue. If anyone needs me to take photos of what is left in the car hanging out I can .
IMG 1508

IMG 1512

IMG 1511

IMG 1510

IMG 1509

This where the connects2 wiring color chart comes into play.
so thats the connects2 loom that converts the oem quadlock to iso .
the black jack plug is the steering wheel control and would plug into the HU but as the RS4 fbsw no longer supports those functions its not relavant.
the blue cable is power for the ariel
speaker cable just connect to the alpine leads.

that small purple/white lead is the reverse connection for camera use so that will need connecting to your new Alpine loom.
It's not the camera connection as that different , but it tells the head unit when to switch to the reverse cam screen when you select reverse.

Last edited:
On the Alpine loom and flyleads they are all labeled so you cant really go wrong.
the purple /white which is reverse on the connects2 loom will connect to the orange/white on the alpine loom.

Ok think we are getting closer. I have looked at your photos Rob and I can see that you have laid out the Connect2 system attached to the Alpine ISO leads...I think ?
Not sure in the last photo top right where the big black block is, if that is from the Connects2 system or from the Alpine as I dont seem to have something like that . Anyway maybe showing what I have sitting still in the car may help.
Now I realise that some of it is from the Sony unit so will ignore that .
This is aerial I believe ( when you said blue power lead you meant this ? )
IMG 1513

IMG 1514

This is USB but obviously I am replacing that with the new unit . My USB-C will go into one of those USB ports to my handsfree holder and the other end will go into the glovebox for USB stick or other use
IMG 1515

This is I believe from the amplified Bose ? It was plugged into the Sony in the Sub port even though I dont have a sub ?
IMG 1516

This is Mic but I know the Alpine has its onw mic in the pack
IMG 1517

Then this lot !! I believe this is from the OEM system . There is blue bullet connection in that loom , see second picture so not sure what that is for
IMG 1518

IMG 1519

Then this funky gold connector, no clue
IMG 1524

This seems to be used but again no idea. It was plugged into the stereo. Tell a lie, could be camera feed when I stick it into reverse ?
IMG 1522

and finally this lot. As mentioned I think this is the Sony unit loom so have to unplug.
IMG 1521

As you can see not straightforward as I seem to have so many cables ....my head hurts.

No its really easy chap.
working back from the last pic.
that lead is the sony iso power lead which goes with the sony HU , wont work with the Alpine.
next , yellow plug is rear cam, well is should be.
Gold plug is DAB ariel
small female blue connector is the ariel power that connects to the blue cable as in your 2nd pic above.
the 3 plugs together are the OEM loom so you have ISO instead of Quadlock.
If you have the connects2 wiring kit there will be an adapter loom that goes ISO from audi loom to ISO for the aftermarket HU.

the section marked with yellow arrows is the connects2 adapter loom, on my bus it has the large onepiece quadlock interface(large box type plug) yours appears to be ISO with the 3 individual plugs, not an issue just a different connection type for audi HU's.
the section marked with blue arrow is the HU specifc loom , alpine in this pic .
you effectively end up with two extra looms , one to convert all the functions of the audi setup to more universal aftermarket HU's and a second that is specific to the HU being fitted as they all have differening interfaces etc on the back of the unit.

I think i can see what's going on here.
It looks like whoever installed the sony didn't go with that adapter loom , they have wired into the Audi loom directly at the plugs.
So you have the sony HU ISO lead connected to the audi loom directly.

I think i can see what's going on here.
It looks like whoever installed the sony didn't go with that adapter loom , they have wired into the Audi loom directly at the plugs.
So you have the sony HU ISO lead connected to the audi loom directly.
is that a problem ? can I disconnect it and kind of bypass it back into the audi loom using the connect 2 system ?

and this is what your OEM HU would have looked like.