Bmn piezo injectors died

Moony_1989

Reaction score
Hi guys

so I have an 2007 a3 with the dreaded ppd170 engine in. In the last few months it’s started to throw lots of smoke out the back, cutting to the chase I found the injectors to be at fault and had them took out and tested only to find that they were scrap. At £370 + vat an injector I decided to do some research on weather or not pd140 injectors from the bkd engine could be used instead.

now what I found was a lot of people had started the conversion but no one ever posted about finishing it, which obvs was no use to me so I set about doing it myself and thought it maybe handy to post in here so anyone with similar issues or interested in doing the conversion could use a guide

so on to what you need which is what I struggled with but as it turns out isn’t really a great deal to get the car running.
bkd ecu
bkd injectors
and a bkd injector loom.

simple really. I’ll add some part numbers in at the bottom on what I used also with my inversion I did other bits and bobs along the way which included

egr delete
egr cooler delete
swirl flap delete
and the car also already had the dpf gutted

so on to piecing it together, quite simple really you’ll need the rocker cover and off which isn’t a big deal. Just a ring of torx bolts and off she comes with the wiring and vacuum pipes out the way. Next you’ll need to remove the injector loom which can be a bit of a fiddle. YouTube video will help if your struggling. then on to the injectors, remove the 5 bolts that hold the injector rocker arm. These are spline bolts and have to be renewed when removed (about £2 each from tps). Once the bolts are out get the rocker out the way so there is nothing holding the injector. removthe two bolts holding each injector down and work them out. They are in there pretty stiff so be patient and work them out carefully.

next with your nice new bkd injectors, replace the seals on the injectors, I got my seals off eBay to match the injector part numbers, once you have them in you need to torque the new bolts down as they are stretch bolts

torque settings
3nm
90 degrees
180 degrees

Once they are all tight the fun bit begins, you need to take the clips that goto the injectors off of your bkd injector loom and swap them with the connectors on you bmn injector loom. Take care to get the wires in the right pin location. Once this is done your original bnm loom with the new clips on can go back in and will now connect to your bkd injectors. now you need to reinstall the rocker arm with new bolts and the torque settings are

20nm
90 degrees

after they are torqued up you need to set the injector lash (see YouTube it’s a simple task)

THATS THE HARD PART DONE

now you need to bkd Ecu mapped to the bmn turbo and whatever else you have done to your car eg egr/dpf delete and also get the immo taken off
i used FADR to map my ecu and it’s been great. He’s a great guy aswell

once The ecu is mapped get it swapped over, it’s under the scuttle panel and has some sh*t antitamper screws in that need to be drilled out, but when you have them swapped you’ll need to prime the fuel system which can take a lot of cranking, or activate the fuel pump with vcds. And she should fire up

part numbers i used

ecu - 03G 986 016
FADR recommended 03G 906 021 but the one I had worked for me

injectors - 03G 130 073 B

and then a bkd injector loom from tps/ eBay

hope this guide helps and if anyone needs any help just drop us a message or reply to this thread

Reactions: B7AvantTULL, aqibi2000, No more and 1 other person
Nice work.
Thanks, had a couple of guys help me with bits and bobs who had done a similar conversion on a4/Passat. I was surprised at how simple it was to do. Need to do some more messing around with it as I don’t think the ASV is all that happy at ignition off but it’s liveable at the moment. May just be a simple mapping issue, I’ll see how it develops as it’s only a work horse

Nice job, what’s your power output like now rubbing these injectors?

Nice job, what’s your power output like now rubbing these injectors?
It’s not been on a rolling road as of yet, but feels as quick as it was before so I would hazard a guess at around 200bhp. But with it being Bosch setup now it’s really tuneable