Shell V power petrol

musicegbdf

Reaction score
Thought this may be interesting . I drive a 50 year old classic as well as a S3 . The classic was designed to run on 5 star so have tended to run on V power .
I ventured off and filled up with Esso 97 ( no ethanol) and also tried Tesco momentum ( which usually use in S3)
Well the old girl is very fussy and only likes to drink V power .
With V power she starts on first crank within 5 seconds and no over run switching off . Anything else take four or five cranks to start and over runs for a few seconds switching off .
I cannot explain it , but it is happening . Whilst talking petrol in the classic world we are debating the E10 petrol coming and the one sided reporting on the environmental benefits .

I believe the 97 is E5 whilst the 95 is E10, the 5 and 10 referring to the % mix.
All I can say is my 1.5tfsi ran for over 2,000 miles this summer towing a caravan around France and performed well.

Colin

I heard they use vegetable oil in France! In-law's neighbours broke down over there as a result of poor fuel

I heard they use vegetable oil in France! In-law's neighbours broke down over there as a result of poor fuel
They use it to cook with, but on a serious note I believe a small percentage is diesel they use. I think your in-laws neighbour has been very unlucky. I've summered in France for 20 years and experienced no problems with fuel.

Colin

Yeah they must've been unlucky and found a dodgy petrol station.

I'm pretty sure my car shows a higher range on a full tank of Momentum 99 vs V Power.

Is S3 premium fuel only advisable? The dealer did advise this but I wasn't sure it absolutely true?

With any performance car a premium fuel is preferable for longevity of the engine but you can use regular 95 fuel

Higer RON fuels more relevant to forced air induction - turbo or super charger - as they help prevent predetonation due to pressure.

I happily ran my 997 on regular Shell 95 fuel without issue but would think twice with a turbo vehicle.

I’m going to try V power in my 1972 bug to see how she gets on.

I believe the 97 is E5 whilst the 95 is E10, the 5 and 10 referring to the % mix.
All I can say is my 1.5tfsi ran for over 2,000 miles this summer towing a caravan around France and performed well.

Colin
Hi there is no E10 in the uk yet . The big issue is ethanol is hygroscopic . A car that is not used often can then start to have internal corrosion issues . It also gives poorer fuel consumption . At 5% it seems ok , but when reaching 10% or more there are issues reported in the countries using E10.
In the manual the S3 says minimum octane of 97. It will run on 95 but the ECU will change the timing accordingly and will affect performance .
Why my classic starts better on v power than momentum , do not know . However , it might have better preservative additives . Modern fuel degrades quickly , and my classic is a weekend fun car not a daily runner and of course uses carbs .

Reactions: Matt Titanium
I'm pretty sure my car shows a higher range on a full tank of Momentum 99 vs V Power.

This is true for me too... I used to only fill up with V-Power until someone on here said about better performance and MPG with Tesco 99.
Switched to the Tesco stuff and have not touched Shell since.. and its nearly 10p cheaper per litre round my way too..

Reactions: Bryant1998
This is true for me too... I used to only fill up with V-Power until someone on here said about better performance and MPG with Tesco 99.
Switched to the Tesco stuff and have not touched Shell since.. and its nearly 10p cheaper per litre round my way too..

Yeah same here...I wonder what Costco fuel is like, they opened one in Stevenage recently (too far for me to go to fill up) and it's around 15p cheaper than anywhere else.

I know Costco diesel is fine. Uncle has ran E Class Mercedes for many years and found his 320 and current 350 temperamental on cheaper fuel, but Costco has given no problems.

Colin

Hi there is no E10 in the uk yet . The big issue is ethanol is hygroscopic . A car that is not used often can then start to have internal corrosion issues . It also gives poorer fuel consumption . At 5% it seems ok , but when reaching 10% or more there are issues reported in the countries using E10.
In the manual the S3 says minimum octane of 97. It will run on 95 but the ECU will change the timing accordingly and will affect performance .
Why my classic starts better on v power than momentum , do not know . However , it might have better preservative additives . Modern fuel degrades quickly , and my classic is a weekend fun car not a daily runner and of course uses carbs .

Condensation that drops out in fuel tanks an lines can collect in carburettors, Ethenol is also a solvent so it quickly degrades older rubbers, carb seals, diaphragms and plastics etc. And it doesn't burn as well as petrol so potentially a leaner mixture and higher fuel consumption. E-anyhing fuel is not great for older engines.