knock when first moving off/reversing

samisnake

Reaction score
got a weird knock when first moving off or reversing. doesnt always happen, and seems to be coming from the passenger side.
its a singular 'clunk', doesnt happen with bumps or while driving, just when first moving.
seems to be easier to replicate if going from reverse, then forward and vice versa or if the cars been parked overnight.

just had the passenger side driveshaft replaced today as that was knocking as well, wishbone bushes are all fine, top mounts and drop links are new.
anyone have an idea what it could be.

I would of said wishbone, track rod end etc etc could all be potentially the issue, but best bet would be get it up in the air and take a look. I've just had wishbone done on my other vehicle as that was making a clunk when pulling away or reversing, but you've already had this done. However.....mine went back due to the bolt running through wishbone being loose and still made a clunking noise. New bolt fitted (think they threaded it to be honest) and it's quiet again.

Hope you get it sorted mate.

Gaz

Reactions: samisnake
Engine mounts or gearbox mount worn or bolt sheared.

Reactions: samisnake
The caliper was removed around the time this noise started. Can't be it surely lol. I'll check next time I'm off, and the subframe bolts are on my to buy list now.

Mine does this especially if you park facing down hill and set off in reverse ie: reverse up hill out of a parking spot, then it does it every time but only on the flat if you leave it over night. I am pretty sure its amount somewhere but i cant even be sure its front or back. Has no effect on the drive or handling.

My thinking is its the rear pads sticking to the disc after the hand brakes been on.

Watching this with interest as I have the same noise every now and then. Could be what's been said as above with parking on a hill as where I live is pretty hilly and I notice it every now and then if the car has been sat for a day or 2 if I park on the steeper parts of the hill. To echo about handling as well, I've not noticed any adverse handling after the noise.

I would try spraying a silicon lubricant into the engine mount bushes. Try to do it as someone else puts the handbrake on and then try to go backwards and forwards to open the voids up to get as much as possible in to lubricate the rubber.
Audi had my son’s TT for 4 days and they could not sort it out replacing all sorts of bits. I could feel the knock by touching the top of the mount.
After a good spraying and a little run, the knock had gone.

Got the same thing on my Audi A3 after my downpipe, went to garage they said it’s the lower engine mount, think they call it the dog bone cos it looks like one haha. Anyways has anyone got a part number for this as I can’t seem to find one as they’re different for different engines. Mines a 2.0tfsi bwa engine

Got the same thing on my Audi A3 after my downpipe, went to garage they said it’s the lower engine mount, think they call it the dog bone cos it looks like one haha. Anyways has anyone got a part number for this as I can’t seem to find one as they’re different for different engines. Mines a 2.0tfsi bwa engine

Whilst I don’t know the part number, this video shows how an insert stiffens up the dogbone mount. BCS offer to install an insert if you have one of their downpipe.
In the U.K. most people use power flex.
Important to note that the central bolt is a stretch bolt and should be replaced and not reused. The video shows the torque settings.

Reactions: Russell Miah
Sorry I forgot to link to the video!!

Reactions: Russell Miah