Spare ECU, where to buy?

Slowracer

Reaction score
can anyone recommend where to buy an ECU for a reasonable cost or preferably even a used one.
Also would you know the part number for a FL sedan please.

Hi,

Yeh i can supply these,obvuicily orderd to chassis number so non returnable and take around 4-7 days to arrive.

If anyone is interested please feel free to PM me.

Thanks

Reactions: Deep penetrator and Sandra
Bear in mind people that if remapping, data is now logged in the gearbox and TCU bus, something that Audi and Bosch have apparently been working on as an additional way of detecting mods. A separate ECU is therefore unlikely to hide this if Audi dig deep enough.

Reactions: Marshy
Bear in mind people that if remapping, data is now logged in the gearbox and TCU bus, something that Audi and Bosch have apparently been working on as an additional way of detecting mods. A separate ECU is therefore unlikely to hide this if Audi dig deep enough.

Not 100% convinced by this. If you keep the same TCU software in the car, the gearbox will read stock as will your engine. Perhaps a proper forensic investigation at Audi HQ in Germany would find something amiss with some stored values but standard TD1 detection scan methods of the 2 ECU's then I would say no. The internet is awash with hearsay and scaremongering about TD1's that it's hard to find what's true and what's based on hearsay.

It's certainly a far better way of protecting yourself than trying to wipe the ECU clean. If the second ECU reads standard then the dealership have no reason to carry out a forensic investigation of both ECU's.

Saying that, I did hear one story of a blown E63 AMG lump, the guy thought it would be detected by Mercedes so he trailored his car into a field and set fire to it, reported it as stolen and was paid out no probs from the Insurance company. Risky business insurance fraud, would land you in jail if caught doing it this way.

I was always led to believe that the gearbox ecu recorded its max torque and always stores snapshots of user data so Audi/VW can determine what happened/caused the failure.

Torque is produced by the engine and transmitted through the gearbox, the gearbox has torque limiters in place for clutch and gearing protection, sure.

I couldn't tell you if there are measured torque tables held within the gearbox ECU though, I've been around the forums many years and have never once heard anyone log or interrogate gearbox ecu's for information. Lots log their engines via VCDS but have never heard anyone log their Gearbox ECU.

Reactions: Marshy
When I had my MK7 Golf R my dsg clutches slipped, I logged with vcds and could see the torque that the engine was sending to the gearbox, from previous threads on forums I’d read this was how people were being caught out with tuning boxes.
Besides the data stored in the engine control, I do think the ecu is pretty clever since it records what % of driving is done in S and D modes also number of launches etc.
Comes back to the same thing though, if your prepared to tune you need to be prepared to cover the costs of any fault that go with it.

Reactions: jimojameso
Comes back to the same thing though, if your prepared to tune you need to be prepared to cover the costs of any fault that go with it.

£1000 for an ECU though vs £7000 or so (?) for the DSG, you can see why tuned car owners might be tempted.

TX.

the mileage is stored on the ecu also?
If u have a warranty issue and you swap the tuned ecu for the standard there will be a difference?

Seems to be a lot of unknowns about the contents / capability of the ECU, it would be great to get access to a VAG insider for some deeper intelligence.

the mileage is stored on the ecu also?
If u have a warranty issue and you swap the tuned ecu for the standard there will be a difference?

Definitely not stored in the ECU's

I've swapped the ECU's in my 6, no issues at all with cross mileage between the 2.

I believe its been said before on the forum, mileage is stored with the cockpit instruments

Reactions: T-800
This ^ - Hence why if your speedo is turned off, it won't log any mileage.
I need to turn my speedo off then...I'm stacking up the miles!

Reactions: billymc92, AudiNutta, Ellski and 1 other person
Hi Guys,

I have spoken to a few techs about this after getting a few calls from you guys and Audi seem to be "clamping down" on this now and they can see if the car has been driven within the same parameters.

Hope this helps you guys and if you have any more questions please feel free to PM me.

Thanks

As an aside - where is the electronic car data, such as VIN, stored?