Are these two Haldex controllers interchangeable?

S3 Hilife

It's an addiction
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi guys, I’m half way through swapping my Haldex controller over for a replacement. I know there are two different designs of controller, one with circlip and one with bolt head, one has recessed fluid ports one doesn’t. Sods law I get the different one as a replacement.

I’d like to know if I can fit the one with recessed ports and bolt head in place of the other type I’ve just removed. If so do I still use the new gasket as well as the rubber seals?

45ABDDBD 582F 40A0 8E2A CCCD15AA1386

Thanks in advance

Steve

Get the right seals is all... I noticed that you had the metal one in your collection of bits on your thread... you need to get the o-ring type for this replacement... just use the rubber seals and not both rubber and metal seals

<tuffty/>

Get the right seals is all... I noticed that you had the metal one in your collection of bits on your thread... you need to get the o-ring type for this replacement... just use the rubber seals and not both rubber and metal seals

<tuffty/>
Thanks I started to worry a little when I found they were different

o-ring type is an earlier version is all... they changed to the metal seal type around 2001 on... my AMK S3 is metal seal...

<tuffty/>

Ahh that’s what I suspected :) It’ll be interesting to see how the internals differ from eachother. I’m going to strip the one I removed today and have a look to try and work out why it wasn’t working

Normally the servo motor or the drive part of it at least packs up... mechanically all it does is move a valve up and down to divert the flow of hydraulic fluid... electronically its a controller for the servo motor...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: S3 Hilife
Looking at the valve assembly from the known working one, I was surprised it was working at all tbh. It was full of thick sludgy gunk. I never tested the synchron motor though, I think I probably should have really

often wonder if caught soon enough a good clean would get them serviceable again...

I still think its down to the lack of oil changes... especially on a mapped car where the haldex will be potentially more active

<tuffty/>

Definitely, this is what came out of my Haldex today

BE89AB2B 2658 4051 91BA 5A4ABE71C1B7

This was apparently replaced less than 20k miles ago by a local garage. When I pulled the pump out the strainer was clearly clogged up and the amout of sediment and sludge sat in the bottom of the housing for the pump was unreal. I suspect this caused my Haldex to stop working (or at least the pump)

Last edited:
Reactions: ToughlilT