Audi a3 bmn 170bhp TDI rebuild.

David1234

Reaction score
Hi all new here looking for some advise! I spend a lot of my spare time fixing broken Audi's!

My most recent purchase was a 2008 2.0 TDI sportback sline A3 with a hyrolocked engine. I have been rebuilding the engine for the past couple of weeks with new pistons, Conrods and shells ect. I have recently put it in the car and have it running no problem.

The problems seem to start when the engine warms up, it's starts to judder and smokes slightly. I've had it on vcds and set the torsion so it's definitely not that. The only thing I did notice was the injector readings.

1 -0.34
2 +1.56
3 -0.24
4 -0.45

Obviously number 2 seems way off but I read somewhere the tolerance is + or - 2.8?

Do you guys thing this could be my problem? I don't really want to spend the cash on an expensive injector just to have the same problem. I've swaped them over and the problem moves with it to rule anything else out!

Cheers Dave

I would suggest that if you’v moved the injector to a different cylinder and the problem moves with it, will tell you that particular injector is the problem.

Thanks for that. I just thought that maybe the problem isn't the culprit of the misfire if it's still within the tolerance band? Or is it because it's so far off the others?

I couldn’t tell you the tolerance, but it does seem to be quite a bit different from the others.

Reactions: David1234
Pm me your email as i have a pdf it might interest you on the BMN

Reactions: David1234
I buy the odd car that has mechanical problems as well but what I won't buy is a flood victim.
As your was hydrolocked, does that mean the car has been driven through a flood? If it has, then the electrics and a whole host of other stuff could be wrecked.

Reactions: David1234 and ch1z64
Make 100% certain you use new bolts for the injectors as they are stretch bolts and do stretch a lot

Reactions: David1234 and RS4B5
I have a similar issue !

Did you have both cams set when doing the timing ? The rear cam may require adjusted ?

Really, does yours get worse as it warms up? I'm pretty sure the smoke is unburnt diesel. I plan to get hold of some known good injectors to try. I've set the timing correctly with vcds.

Update!

Found the problem, it seems I have half a tank of black contaminated fuel! I've cleaned it all out and runs sweet! My question is how did it get there?

I guess it can only be from either the tandem pump or injector seals? I've replaced the seals whilst revuilrebu the engine. So I guess I will just have to wait and see if it again becomes contaminated and it which case that would lead to the tandem pump.

Any others have simulsi experiences?

Cheers
David