Winter wheels question

Graham Thomas

Reaction score
Hi all.
I'm sure that this question will have been asked countless times before but trawling through the search function is just mindnumbing!
I have a 2013 Audi A4 Avant quattro with the 19' wheels and 255/35/19 tyres.
I intend getting a set of 17" wheels so that I can fit winter tyres but I need to know the wheel spec I need to search for. Offset, centre bore etc. I understand the pcd is 5 x 112 as with most new VW/Audi group vehicles.
Advice most gratefully accepted.

Karl, do you know if those sized you've quoted there would also apply to an S4? I'm thinking about clearance space for the brake discs and calipers.

No, I'd go for the 18" wheels for that, well that is what I bought to replace the 19" summer wheels.

I upgraded my 320mm brakes to some s4 345mm brakes and after that 4 pot Brembo brembo calipers off the Q5 with 345mm discs. The S4 brakes had no problem at all, with the 4 pot brembos The clearance was pretty close on the caliper when using standard 17 inch alloys but I swapped my winters to the 17 inch Team dynamics and they fit fine.
So standard 17 inch B8 alloys will fit fine on an S4.

Reactions: jdp1962
I think that where you run into trouble with fitting 17" to a B8/B8.5 S4 is, that is not the approved size of wheel to fit to that car, which means your insurance just might get voided if you fit them and need an assessor to view your car. Check the sizes on the door pillar and maybe the S4 owners handbook before you buy 17" alloys.

I upgraded my 320mm brakes to some s4 345mm brakes and after that 4 pot Brembo brembo calipers off the Q5 with 345mm discs. The S4 brakes had no problem at all, with the 4 pot brembos The clearance was pretty close on the caliper when using standard 17 inch alloys but I swapped my winters to the 17 inch Team dynamics and they fit fine.
So standard 17 inch B8 alloys will fit fine on an S4.
Good to know. :icon thumright:

Anyone know if a 16" steel rim will fit? I presume I've got smaller sized discs being a 2.0 TDi Allroad

Anyone know if a 16" steel rim will fit? I presume I've got smaller sized discs being a 2.0 TDi Allroad

Check your own vehicle tyre pressure chart (usually inside the driver door edge), Mark, which provides both wheel and tyre alternatives for your own vehicle?

Something like this from my TT - with ALL approved sizes shown for summer and winter M+S tyres:

View attachment 149800

If it doesn't list 16-inch then you can be sure 16-inch will not fit or, more importantly, be approved i.e., your insurance won't like it...

Check your own vehicle tyre pressure chart (usually inside the driver door edge), Mark, which provides both wheel and tyre alternatives for your own vehicle?

Something like this from my TT - with ALL approved sizes shown for summer and winter M+S tyres:

View attachment 149800

If it doesn't list 16-inch then you can be sure 16-inch will not fit or, more importantly, be approved i.e., your insurance won't like it...
Thanks mate. From memory it only lists 17" and 18"

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reactions: 45bvtc
Now take a look here, Mark: https://www.wheel-size.com/size/audi/allroad/

PS: front disc size won't help you at all as the brake back plate is usually of a larger diameter and then, of course, there's the brake caliper and more to consider - just sayin'
:readit:
Great thanks. Forgetting the Allroad has a different ET number as has a wider track to fill the wheel arches and combat the higher ride height

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Tried one of the online sites and they quoted 16" steel rims as a possible package for B8.5 A4 Allroad. However check-out a few yourself. I'm currently running Pirelli P Zeros on 245/45R18 which are next to useless in the snow. Looking at dedicated winter tyres on steel rims and Kumho and Dunlop on my list. Be interested to know what you go for if you start a new thread on Allroad forum.

Tried one of the online sites and they quoted 16" steel rims as a possible package for B8.5 A4 Allroad. However check-out a few yourself. I'm currently running Pirelli P Zeros on 245/45R18 which are next to useless in the snow. Looking at dedicated winter tyres on steel rims and Kumho and Dunlop on my list. Be interested to know what you go for if you start a new thread on Allroad forum.

A proper minefield - will probably just fit all season tyres when mine are due replacement

I use 245/40 X 18 Michelin Alpins on my B8 S4 in winter and have never ever felt that I have been short of grip, the advised winter size for that car is 225/45 X 18 but I've just stuck with the 18" option normal size as I tend to run with winter wheels/tyres for 6 months so that I get the extra benefit in the really wet seasons as well. Best car I have ever used in bad winter conditions was a 1.1L Fiesta 1986, just ordinary tyres but very narrow and high ground clearance - you could "jump" over snow drifts when needed! Ground clearance will always compromise the S4's progress in winter.

I'd think the decider for "winter set + summer set" or just all season, comes down to location and annual mileage, if you are running over 15K miles a year, then why not go are two sets of wheels, if you only run 7.5K miles a years, maybe stick with all season tyres.

I have used winter and summer sets for the past maybe 15 years as I've considered that both of us needed to remain mobile all year round, I have a steep driveway and winter tyres saves me a bit of money in rock salt and needing to clear the driveway every snowy/icy day.

Edit:- a lot of this "I want winter tyres" way of thinking comes from being faced with horrible winter conditions this year, if I'm being honest, I bought the first set of Michelin Alpins and steel wheels after finding my wifes car had become impossible to use safely in winter. It was a year later that I gave in and bought a set for my Passat 4Motion as I thought 4WD on its own was good enough - not so, in that occasion I had to buy a set of almost new used Michelin Alpins as I could not find any new stocks of Michelin Alpins anywhere UK or Europe.