Underside rust

jackal_s3

Reaction score
Ok I appreciate this could be hard to answer without pictures as I’m posting this from my phone but here goes......
My 58 plate S3 I’ve bought back in November spent its entire life in Aberdeen right on the coast and as a result has a fair bit of underside surface rust on non galvanised parts such as subframe, suspension arms, shocks etc.
It hasn’t been flagged up on any previous MOTs or the last service carried out at a main dealer but would like to know peoples experiences with this sorta thing, are S3’s/A3’s prone to this, is it likely something I should have addressed or are these parts pretty robust.
Again I know it’s hard without pics but people’s experiences,especially those that have lived on the coast, would be very much appreciated.
Cheers

I live very close to the quayside in Aberdeen and don't notice any more Rust underneath than normal , i would recommend getting it up on ramps and get the whole underneath checked if you think it is worse than normal as there could be underlying problems covered by the Rust

Cheers for the reply, like I said nothing has shown on any previous MOTs or the last service(which did have underside inspection listed as a check carried out). I’ll be getting it serviced in February by a trusted independent I’ve used for years so I’ll see what comes out of that, just looking for previous owners experience of similar situations.

The suspension parts are all bare metal and where you live will hasten rust develope. All you can do is is remove these parts, rub them clean of rust and paint them before re-fitting. It's a lot of work and probably only worth doing if any parts are worn out/fair an MOT

Fortunately where I live is not coastal so hopefully slow it down and yes it is only metal parts such as these, bodywork is fine. Depending how long I have the car the shocks will certainly be changed as I hate the standard suspension set up and there is a place near(ish) to me that carried out full underbody treatment and sealing I may look into if need be.