2017 Audi A3 S Line - 2L TDI - Which Fuel?

Jlawson118

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

New to the forum here and apologies if this has been asked a few times in the past, I just want to be prepared.

I've just bought a used A3 from my local Audi Approved centre and picking it up next Friday! It's only a few months old with about 6,000 miles in the clock. I'm going from a little 1.2L Petrol Vauxhall Corsa, to a 2.0L TDI Audi A3, so a big upgrade!

I'm curious as to what type of Diesel I should use? RON 95/97/99? I test drove the car on Friday and asked the dealer what he'd recommend, and he said RON 95 would be absolutely fine, but there's nothing wrong with using any of the others. So that wasn't much help :flushed:

I've seen from other threads on other cars, and again, it's mixed reviews. Some say that performance can be lost from 95, but there's no real talk on 97/99. I like to fill up at BP which their Ultimate fuel is 97, whereas it isn't often I use Shell which are 99.

So I have a few questions;

1. Would I lose performance using RON 95?
2. Is there much of a difference between RON 97 & 99?
3. From your point of view, which would you recommend for a car of these specs?

Diesel is diesel i really don't think you get the benefits over petrol as, like you say, you get different ron

I didn’t know diesels came with different RON ratings. I’ve never give it much thought, but thought diesel was diesel!

I didn’t know diesels came with different RON ratings. I’ve never give it much thought, but thought diesel was diesel!

I've seen the choice quite often between Regular and Premium Diesel so I guess it is a thing. I think I've made a mistake here within RON ratings, but I do mean is it better to use premium Diesel or regular?

Reactions: samuelh_888
The posh stuff contains more "cleaners" and may produce a slighter hotter combustion which will help clean carbon. However, you have a virtually new engine and longer motorway runs do similar. VAG would design the engine to cope with the poorest types of diesel across the World so there is no necessity to use the posh (and significantly more expensive) diesel.

Reactions: Ghost, Jlawson118 and samuelh_888
No Ron ratings in diesel at all, I have only seen Boggo diesel and a premium version with different names depending on which Fuel Brand own the pumps. I did try both in my previous derv A3 and didn't notice any difference when driving, there was a slight gain in mpg using the Premium version of fuel but not enough diiffernce to warrant paying a few extra pence per litre.
Your new Derv A3 may behave completely different to my older car so best to try both fuels out , say 3 tankfulls of each to get a true comparison.
Also your car come under the A3 8V forum so best ask on there as well .

Reactions: samuelh_888
vpower diesel is normal diesel with an amount of 2 stroke motorcycle oil added.

I happened to run into a shell octane rep back when it was octane+, who was putting 2 stroke oil in his car... who explained it to me.