Facelift Insurance for S3 is a joke this year!

bm5172

Reaction score
I was fortunate enough to get an S3 last year after working my **** off and saving. My insurance for the year was £1500 with Direct Line. This is a steep figure, but considering I was only 21 with 3 years ncb and the spec of the car, it was reasonable.

Now my renewal is coming round, I've been hunting through comparission websites and can't seem to find any sensible offers below £1900?! Surely this isn't just happening to me? Am I looking in the wrong places?

If anyone could steer me towards a reputable insurance company that are likely to give me a sensible quote, it would be much appreciated. I acknowledge that this topic has been spoken about in other threads, just looking for some fresh advice.

Thanks

What's your renewal price? Try a quote as a new customer with direct line (online) I've had that work in the past and got a cheaper price vs renewal, isn't always the case though.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Audi Bairn
Several threads on here on the same subject, search and ye shall find but bottom line is that in general everyone's premiums are up 10-20% on last year

Altho not a S3, my S4 insurance went up quite a lot this year (May actually)
It went up from £235.23 (16-17) last year to £325.98 (17-18) this year WTF !!!

I've done the whole compare the market, confused.com thing & Saga are still coming in around £15 cheaper than anyone else
I suppose one beenfit of using Saga Car Insurance is my total excess is only £100

Using Saga should give you a clue of how old I am lol

I think everyone is reporting large increases in premiums this year

Reactions: Jassyo06, Toonsoldier91, DrEskimo and 1 other person
Try £1000 up to £2000. With another years no claims as well. That's using comparisons too

What's your renewal price? Try a quote as a new customer with direct line (online) I've had that work in the past and got a cheaper price vs renewal, isn't always the case though.
I did this with my current S3 policy.
The wanted £600+ to renew.
I went online and got quoted £226 like for like.
They wouldn't match it over the phone so I paid £47 (they wouldn't waive that either) to cancel then went online and took out the online policy.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Tom.H
Altho not a S3, my S4 insurance went up quite a lot this year (May actually)
It went up from £235.23 (16-17) last year to £325.98 (17-18) this year WTF !!!

I've done the whole compare the market, confused.com thing & Saga are still coming in around £15 cheaper than anyone else
I suppose one beenfit of using Saga Car Insurance is my total excess is only £100

Using Saga should give you a clue of how old I am lol

I think everyone is reporting large increases in premiums this year

Sold my S5, so obviously haven't looked at renewal, but thought I would plug it in to a quick confused.com search....

I paid £350 last year....coming up with £560 as my cheapest from the search....!

Nearly makes me glad I sold it.....nearly....

Reactions: KenL, Jassyo06 and Audi Bairn
Sold my S5, so obviously haven't looked at renewal, but thought I would plug it in to a quick confused.com search....

I paid £350 last year....coming up with £560 as my cheapest from the search....!

Nearly makes me glad I sold it.....nearly....

Is it gone Doc?
Ah, remember when we both had our S5's in our A5OC days! :friends:

Reactions: Jassyo06 and DrEskimo
I was fortunate enough to get an S3 last year after working my **** off and saving. My insurance for the year was £1500 with Direct Line. This is a steep figure, but considering I was only 21 with 3 years ncb and the spec of the car, it was reasonable.

Now my renewal is coming round, I've been hunting through comparission websites and can't seem to find any sensible offers below £1900?! Surely this isn't just happening to me? Am I looking in the wrong places?

If anyone could steer me towards a reputable insurance company that are likely to give me a sensible quote, it would be much appreciated. I acknowledge that this topic has been spoken about in other threads, just looking for some fresh advice.

Thanks
Welcome to the insurance club haha. Be glad your not like me getting quotes of £4000+ ;)

Is it gone Doc?
Ah, remember when we both had our S5's in our A5OC days! :friends:

Yea...sold couple of weeks back to a dealer. £800 back in my pocket and save on the final two payments, so about £1500 up in all.
Bloke picked it up from my house, so literally the easiest sale I've ever done and a good £1.5k more than the usual suspects!

Seems like only yesterday :blownose:

Insurance has gone up across all cars, especially the S3 with the high theft rate.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
I got quoted £2200 on compare the market for my s3, I'm 22 with 5 years no claims I managed to get it for £1050 on a modified insurance policy with HIC your best ringing around matey, got my last 2.0tfsi a3 8p down to £780 This year

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: KenL
I don't drive anything nearly as powerful as an S3, however when my TDI A3 was up for renewal, I noticed the comparison websites only seemed to show bizarrely expensive quotes in the region of £1000-1300 (I'm 23 (3 years ncb, driving 3 years). For a 1.6 tdi!

Ended up renewing with Aviva but going in as a new customer and got it for £600 (hardly a bargain). Lots of thinking to be done next time I renew.

Reactions: Jassyo06
For the first time in my driving career (17 years), my renewal quote was the cheapest* I could find. Granted it was up on last year by the ballpark figures (around 15%) but it's still a low £400's quote (last year was a low-mid £300's quote). That's with AXA, oddly getting a new quote with AXA was massively more expensive than the renewal... odd.

* On the comparison sites, the only cheaper options than my renewal quote with AXA were companies I'd either never heard of, or had been warned off by utterly terrible customer reviews.

I can't remember my annual price but I am paying £140 a month with Admiral Multi Car Insurance (Also have a Golf MK2 on the policy).

I am 27 and have 6 years no claims.

The person I spoke to on the phone was a car enthusiast himself and mentioned something about a lot of S3's seem to be getting stolen at the moment (Not sure how true) maybe this has an impact on the increase?

Hi there,

We'd be more than happy to provide a quotation. If you wish I can arrange for a colleague to give you a call - please message me your number if required?

We do of course provide a club discount for Audi-Sport.net members.'

Thanks.

Dan

Thanks

Reactions: KenL and Jassyo06

Thanks
Try going direct with AXA, if you have a dashcam you also get 10% off. They have been the cheapest for me both last year and this year.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
It's an increase due to a number of things there's been a slight increase in insurance tax & the ogden rate has changed also. TBH I'm surprised S3 & Golf R policies haven't skyrocketed further tbh as it's like going back to the old days when all the Cossies were being nicked left, right & centre!.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/07/02/uk-insurers-warn-ogden-hit-will-cost-decade-floods/

I will second the AXA recommendation as they were the cheapest at renewal this year 'like for like'.

Yowzers, some scary insurance prices in here! My policy was a little under £300 for the year, which was around 30% cheaper than previous car (Mercedes CLS)......however, as only had the car a few weeks, I also have the one-off cost of GAP to cover too.....#hohum

My policy for the S3 this year was around £2200, which for my age is about as good as ill get (20 w/ 1 year NCB), however when I've looked on the comparison sites today im looking at a cheapest quote of £4500 for the year.. and this is after another years NCB.. I cant see why it would have inflated this much as I was getting quotes of around £1300 a month ago so it was a fair shock6

Haven't rang around yet but I'm not too hopeful now

My policy for the S3 this year was around £2200, which for my age is about as good as ill get (20 w/ 1 year NCB), however when I've looked on the comparison sites today im looking at a cheapest quote of £4500 for the year.. and this is after another years NCB.. I cant see why it would have inflated this much as I was getting quotes of around £1300 a month ago so it was a fair shock6

£2,200 that's a good price for 20 years of age considering you have 300bhp on tap! The S3 is a cheap car to insure! I did a few quotes for my A5 coupe which is on order and they are coming in at around £100 than I'm paying for the S3!!! 300bhp down to 190bhp and the price goes up :D go figure?!?! :blink:

£2,200 that's a good price for 20 years of age considering you have 300bhp on tap! The S3 is a cheap car to insure! I did a few quotes for my A5 coupe which is on order and they are coming in at around £100 than I'm paying for the S3!!! 300bhp down to 190bhp and the price goes up :D go figure?!?! :blink:
Got to love the workings of insurance companies, eh?!

I was surprised myself when i managed to even get insured on the S3 let alone for that cheap, considering the 2l diesel i had before was a few hundred quid more expensive hah! Brilliant!

Crisis averted though, just rang the insurers and theyre looking at around £1800 for renewal on a multicar scheme instead of the £4500 i saw!

Reactions: S32B
Got to love the workings of insurance companies, eh?!

I was surprised myself when i managed to even get insured on the S3 let alone for that cheap, considering the 2l diesel i had before was a few hundred quid more expensive hah! Brilliant!

Crisis averted though, just rang the insurers and theyre looking at around £1800 for renewal on a multicar scheme instead of the £4500 i saw!

I got quoted £4000 for the s3. How did you get it so cheap :0 and with what company?

I got quoted £4000 for the s3. How did you get it so cheap :0 and with what company?
In all honesty i have no idea how i managed to get that price hah!

When I tried the comparison sites alot of the main insurance conpanies wouldnt even insure me on the S3 but i gave admiral a ring and managed to get £1800 on a mulitcar scheme over the phone. Id give them a try mate, they seem decent for young drivers!

Where do you live?? I’m 20 with 2 years no claims, been driving since 17 without a claim and I get quotes of £5000+ for an S3, with a black box!

Reactions: Chris S 1245
When I was 17 (15 yrs ago) I decided for a laugh to get a quote with Elephant for a Cossie... £11k!!

Reactions: richinsoton
In all honesty i have no idea how i managed to get that price hah!

When I tried the comparison sites alot of the main insurance conpanies wouldnt even insure me on the S3 but i gave admiral a ring and managed to get £1800 on a mulitcar scheme over the phone. Id give them a try mate, they seem decent for young drivers!

Ok cheers will give them a try. Insurance is a joke its cheaper to insure me on an Rs3 than the s3 how does that work ? Wish i could afford the rs3 :(

27 years old with 10 years no claims. £480 #Bargain

Reactions: Rolly12
Mine is 280 fully protected no claims. Benefit of being over 40 and living fairly ruraly

Wow, I'm paying £160 a month for a S3 8V, Subaru Impreza WRX and Focus 1.6 Titanium. On Admiral Multicar. No no claims on the Wrx...10 on the S3 and 9 on the Focus. You guys have got some crazy insurance quotes

I am with Saga 10 years+ NCB
£500 excess 5k miles a year.
2017 1.4 TFSI S-Line
£159.00 for the year !

Where do you live?? I’m 20 with 2 years no claims, been driving since 17 without a claim and I get quotes of £5000+ for an S3, with a black box!
****** hell thats steep, im in the same position as you but have made a claim (non fault) which shot mine up, but never had any problems with insuring the S3 before the hiccup today! Im also in the Northeast of the UK so maybe that helps, always thought we had it bad though hah!

Ok cheers will give them a try. Insurance is a joke its cheaper to insure me on an Rs3 than the s3 how does that work ? Wish i could afford the rs3 :(
Its daft the way it works, ive found it never really correlated with the bhp. Tried to get a quote for a 420d the other day and that was sitting at £8k+, must think coupes were designed for the youth to crash;)! Gotta say im surprised at the RS3 though.!

Some of it comes down to statistics obviously insurers have lots of data on young drivers in barry boy corsas & so can set their premiums appropriately for the level of risk, whereas RS3's probably a handful of youngsters drive them & hence less data available to justify / support charging a much higher premium than what they would start from as a base figure. Some times going for a more left field car choice can work in your favour.

Its daft the way it works, ive found it never really correlated with the bhp. Tried to get a quote for a 420d the other day and that was sitting at £8k+, must think coupes were designed for the youth to crash;)! Gotta say im surprised at the RS3 though.!

Its about £2940 for the RS3 with churchill insurance.

Reactions: Mclarxn
Its been in another thread recently but Admiral upped my insurance for the S3 by £400 this year. Even after i spoke the them and they tried to come down, they couldn't match and the lady on the phone said 'it's not you, its the car that has changed'. So something has changed with the insurers risk assessment of the vehicle.

SQ5 is now £40 less than last years S3 quote and its worth £20k more.

bizarre.

Its been in another thread recently but Admiral upped my insurance for the S3 by £400 this year. Even after i spoke the them and they tried to come down, they couldn't match and the lady on the phone said 'it's not you, its the car that has changed'. So something has changed with the insurers risk assessment of the vehicle.

SQ5 is now £40 less than last years S3 quote and its worth £20k more.

bizarre.
You should cancel and go with someone else they are robbing you blind. They always put the renewal price up there was even an article on the news saying people should shop around and not auto renew their insurance .

Not always the case now though, the wife's renewal price was cheaper than she could get a new policy for and even on the comparison sites they were only about £10 less.

Another thing to take note of @Chris S 1245 is that some insurers class optional extras as modifications so it's best to check on each companies website what their policy is on that.