DSG or anual S3?

DSDetails

Reaction score
Hi all.

I am looking for an S3 5 door sportback and have limited my search to max 55k miles, £14k and no older than a 59 plate.
This is resulting in quite a limited amount of cars available especially when i select manual gearbox as another filter.

Question is how are the DSG boxes on the S3?
My last car (VW Scirroco DSG) went back to the garage with a faulty DSG gearbox so i am a little warey of them now.

Dunc

It really is personal preference. And with like any car its pot luck on how it was looked after and things like the DSG. I had a stage 3 Astra vxr for 3 years. Gearbox was fine. But on some standard cars they were going and are known as chocolate gearboxes...

Your search criteria is the same as what mine was, my preference was also manual (after a life of family wagons in auto!) - I lifted my budget to 15k and there was far more choice. I settled in a 61 Sportback, 55086k miles off the Audi yard, Dealer Approved with warranty. In my opinion puts to shame all the others being sold with > miles for > money.

I've had the experience of manual and DSG on the same car now....lol

I can only speak for a DQ500 box which isn't the standard fit on the S3 but the difference is amazing.
I was a manual user for all the time until now and wouldn't have thought of a DSG previously.

The way it allows you to drive and to switch between modes etc is quite something and the way it prevents boost drop etc between shifts cuts a huge amount of time off accelerating.

I'm completely converted ....its fantastic but as I say the 500 isn't the stock S3 box.

I don't honestly think a DSG is anymore likely to fail than a std box. that said a DSG is going to be more expensive to repair if it does fail.
You have had a DSG before so you know the user problems, it will not change when you might have changed on a manual and it will not"nip" out in a gap in traffic. If you don't need to get off the line instantly then its a great box and better than any auto. My box has done 60k now with 300bhp and is fine, many other parts of an audi will give up long before the box in my experience.:)

Reactions: S3Alex
It will 'nip out' in traffic if you use the handbrake, NOT the footbrake, as it dis-engages the clutches!

OK so you sit there burning you clutches. The op is already worried about the reliability of DSG :)

Reactions: S3Alex
Can't burn your clutches, they run in oil! Besides, after two or three seconds it stops 'pulling'. I've been doing it for 6 years with no ill-effects whatsoever! :yes: