Facelift What I will miss about my Golf R...

Spinstorm

Reaction score
I am very excited to take delivery of my new S3 Saloon Black Edition tomorrow; and as I drive my last evening in my Golf R I thought I would post about what I will miss about it - and eventually what I like about my S3. I may make this list longer... right now its all of two things!

Personally I think lists like this should be written down so you can see what you think and not a 15 minute video of you driving around talking about it. Also if your going to make a YouTube video of your car please do some outside shots; maybe buy a drone and do some driving footage. It makes it interesting; but off topic...

So in no particular order.

Pretoria Alloys

I love the Pretoria alloys on my R. They look great to me and accentuate the sportiness of the car. I also think they would look fantastic with painted callipers as you can see more of them. I am not sure what I will think of the 5 spoke alloys I have on my S3; but even if they end up suiting the car they are a boring design unlike the Pretoria wheels. I am tempted to buy some off Ebay and put them on my R.

Touch Screen Nav

I have the Discover Pro touch screen with an 8-inch display. It is so easy to type or to select using a touch screen, specially while driving.

There is no way the jog wheel on the S3 can come close - if jog wheels were a good technology for interfaces then Blackberry would still be popular.

I strongly suspect that starting with the new A8 later this month and with the adoption of Android to run the infotainment systems (announced back in May) that all Audis will move to capacitive touch screens just like Porsche have.

The MMI touch control is an old technology that I know will be a downgrade as far as control is concerned. I am sure I will get used to it (and it’s not like the display is exactly reachable on the S3 anyway) but that doesn’t change the fact its a downgrade.

And I think that’s it - I will also miss the slightly more compact size but the S3 Saloon is that much bigger. I suppose the handling too may be something I miss as everyone says that the R is the better drivers car but I doubt I would notice that on the motorway or in town.

Reactions: Benji34 and Rob2k68
Really any kind of fiddling with the MMI interface whether by touch screen or jog wheel is unsafe whilst driving. There is voice control for that reason!

Reactions: voorhees, Benji34, richinsoton and 2 others
Why get rid of the golf in the first place, perhaps you've changed cars to quickly and haven't had the golf long enough to get ****** off with it,personally l wouldn't give a golf R a second glance common as and can be got for £180 a month right now, as for touch screen navs no thanks, Audi's mmi /virtual cockpit is it up there with BMW's 6-0 mmi,you also shouldn't compare what's on the all new A8 with whats on the current S3, as it's brand new Audi range topper, l think all your doubts stem from not driving the car and familiarising yourself enough with the car in the first place

Last edited:
Reactions: TDI-line, JDHOWELLS, Audi Bairn and 2 others
Touch screen on my mk3 Leon was a nightmare and a big distraction so you may be pleasantly surprised.

Interior of the A/S3 is a big upgrade over the Golf.

Will be interesting how you compare the two cars dynamically.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Jassyo06
Golf Rs are always driven like twats as well. They are magnets for **** heads and you're best off out of it. They are fast becoming my most hated car.

Reactions: richinsoton and Jassyo06
You pay the money and make the choice but for me a hatch is so much more versatile than a saloon. I moved house last year and it would have taken double the number trips to get all the crap I've binned to the recycling centre in a saloon. Im not sure how the capacity varies between the A3 saloon and hatch but having full height access through the tailgate makes it so much easier to fully utilise the full capacity.

It's just me and again very much a personal thing but I'm not really a fan of saloon cars, I never got over seeing my first Focus with a boot.... Nasty!

OP - its your car so enjoy!, bet you haven't slept much. What time can we expect pictures...

Reactions: Ormesome
You pay the money and make the choice but for me a hatch is so much more versatile than a saloon. I moved house last year and it would have taken double the number trips to get all the **** I've binned to the recycling centre in a saloon. Im not sure how the capacity varies between the A3 saloon and hatch but having full height access through the tailgate makes it so much easier to fully utilise the full capacity.

It's just me and again very much a personal thing but I'm not really a fan of saloon cars, I never got over seeing my first Focus with a boot.... Nasty!

OP - its your car so enjoy!, bet you haven't slept much. What time can we expect pictures...

You need to get over that ford focus saloon stigma mate

Reactions: Audi Bairn
No way would i want a touch screen, too fiddly and distracting for me.

I'm left handed but I imagine it could be annoying operating the touch screen for right handers.

Golf Rs are always driven like twats as well. They are magnets for **** heads and you're best off out of it. They are fast becoming my most hated car.

Audi drivers don't have a good reputation either!

Reactions: voorhees and RSS-S3
S3 Touchpad on the MMI wheel with VC/tech pack advance is brilliant even with my s*** handwriting and much safer than reaching for a touchscreen

Reactions: voorhees, Audi Bairn and Rob2k68
Touchscreens in cars can **** right off.

As I've said in numerous threads, tactile feedback is vital for using controls without the need to take your eyes off the road, touchscreens are utter garbage at this. Then you have the compound problem of fingerprints and smudges catching the light and making the screen unreadable. Finally, if I wanted a sodding iPad strapped to the dashboard, I'd use duct-tape.

MMI in it's various forms is what has kept me returning to Audi over other premium marques, as the interface is more intuitive, the controls better to use on the move, and the featureset is great. I'm strongly feeling that I'm going to end up jumping to BMW and iDrive come my next purchase (assuming they don't pander to the iPhone generation as well).

Touchscreens have their place... it's not in the car.

Reactions: dbm, ASRman, voorhees and 8 others
I dislike the touch screen aswell, much prefer the dial/wheel control, especially with the touch pad that mine has as part of the ATP. I also like the Pretoria Alloys, they are by far, the best wheels for the 'R'. However, I love my 19" V-spokes on my S3, massive ****** things! Fill the arches really well and just look stunning... I agree the 'R' has become common because of the motoring press, cheap lease deals and how good it really is... the S3 is more exclusive imo and I think, looks much better. I dislike the facelift 'R' as it doesn't look like a hot hatch and doesn't look premium enough either. For me, you either go nuts and get a Focus RS/Type-R/Megane RS 275 or you go down the route of S3/A45/M140i.

Reactions: ASRman and Rob2k68
The Audi MMI controls are terrible, wish it was a touch screen. BMWs controls are a bit better but still a long way from a touch screen. Hopefully thats the route all manufacturers go in the future.

Reactions: simonali
The Audi MMI controls are terrible, wish it was a touch screen. BMWs controls are a bit better but still a long way from a touch screen. Hopefully thats the route all manufacturers go in the future.

How can a rotary dial with either 2 or 4 hot keys next to it be terrible to use mate, its simplicity personified,the flip up screen is a classic piece of interior car design and it's above dashboard height so no need to look down like in the golf it sit's on the centre console

Av had loads of plays with BMW's idrives 5-0/6-0 new 5 series M3's it's not any different from Audi's apart the gesture controls,which are actually pretty good infact ,as it's been said above save haptic feedback touchscreens for phones and tablets.....

Besides all of that, the new facelift S3 sedan is by far the better car than a golf otherwise l wouldn't be waiting on one arriving in September lol

Reactions: Ozmosis, Rob2k68, Audi Bairn and 2 others
Besides all of that, the new facelift S3 sedan is by far the better car than a golf otherwise l wouldn't be waiting on one arriving in September lol

I'm interested, how is the A3 far the better car when most of the important stuff - suspension, drive train, engine etc is identical to the Golf. The 7.5 R comes with virtual cockpit as standard so really its down to the layout of the centre console, MMI v touch screen and a few cosmetic bits.

I'm with you Jassy. MMI is really intuitive. Alfa has tried to copy it and not got close. Infotainment is a very low priority for me though, I still use Waze on my phone and stream Spotify. I barely look at the screen.

Reactions: Jassyo06
The quality of the Audi interior is a big factor.

Reactions: ASRman, Chris S 1245, Benji34 and 2 others
I'm interested, how is the A3 far the better car when most of the important stuff - suspension, drive train, engine etc is identical to the Golf. The 7.5 R comes with virtual cockpit as standard so really its down to the layout of the centre console, MMI v touch screen and a few cosmetic bits.
Wash your mouth out now lol

I'm with you Jassy. MMI is really intuitive. Alfa has tried to copy it and not got close. Infotainment is a very low priority for me though, I still use Waze on my phone and stream Spotify. I barely look at the screen.

I ain't a in car tech/ toys guy myself mate, l put more on the emphasis on how a car looks

Why get rid of the golf in the first place, perhaps you've changed cars to quickly and haven't had the golf long enough to get ****** off with it,personally l wouldn't give a golf R a second glance common as and can be got for £180 a month right now, as for touch screen navs no thanks, Audi's mmi /virtual cockpit is it up there with BMW's 6-0 mmi,you also shouldn't compare what's on the all new A8 with whats on the current S3, as it's brand new Audi range topper, l think all your doubts stem from not driving the car and familiarising yourself enough with the car in the first place

I'm looking forward to collecting my S3 Saloon. At 4:30 this afternoon.

As for the touch screen - Audi will be going that way. Android is not designed to be used with a hoh wheel and Audi will be using Android on all cars going forward starting with the A8 (that is what they announced). So you will have to get used to it.

A3's in general are far better looking especially in S-line and S3 designation, l ain't saying the golf's a bad car far from it, it's just not a good as a Audi.......

I'm looking forward to collecting my S3 Saloon. At 4:30 this afternoon.

As for the touch screen - Audi will be going that way. Android is not designed to be used with a hoh wheel and Audi will be using Android on all cars going forward starting with the A8 (that is what they announced). So you will have to get used to it.

Okay joda lol enjoy your new car mate you'll soon forget about the mk7 golf or....... even ask em to swap alloys for ya.... Lol

Wash your mouth out now lol

Sorry, I'll be good :whistle2:

A3's in general are far better looking especially in S-line and S3 designation, l ain't saying the golf's a bad car far from it, it's just not a good as a Audi.......

I've had 3 golfs in succession and have loved everyone. However, since VW released the 7.5 Golf I couldn't agree more, the lower front valance on the FL is plug ugly and one of the main reasons I'm going A3 this time. It will be my first Audi so it's got a lot to live up to.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Jassyo06
Touch Screen Nav

I have the Discover Pro touch screen with an 8-inch display. It is so easy to type or to select using a touch screen, specially while driving.

There is no way the jog wheel on the S3 can come close - if jog wheels were a good technology for interfaces then Blackberry would still be popular.

I strongly suspect that starting with the new A8 later this month and with the adoption of Android to run the infotainment systems (announced back in May) that all Audis will move to capacitive touch screens just like Porsche have.

The MMI touch control is an old technology that I know will be a downgrade as far as control is concerned. I am sure I will get used to it (and it’s not like the display is exactly reachable on the S3 anyway) but that doesn’t change the fact its a downgrade.

And I think that’s it - I will also miss the slightly more compact size but the S3 Saloon is that much bigger. I suppose the handling too may be something I miss as everyone says that the R is the better drivers car but I doubt I would notice that on the motorway or in town.

Not sure you should be looking at a touch screen while driving, unless somehow you can see what buttons you're touching without looking at it. No clue why you're comparing a blackberry to a car interface, they're so different. You might as well say lets put a mouse on the next Audi and control it that way because PC's have been using it for ages. Just because it's an old technology, doesn't mean its worse or a downgrade. You can buy a brand new phone for £20 and it'll be worse than my 2 year old flagship phone. Plus how can you know it'll be a downgrade without trying it?

How can a rotary dial with either 2 or 4 hot keys next to it be terrible to use mate, its simplicity personified,the flip up screen is a classic piece of interior car design and it's above dashboard height so no need to look down like in the golf it sit's on the centre console

Av had loads of plays with BMW's idrives 5-0/6-0 new 5 series M3's it's not any different from Audi's apart the gesture controls,which are actually pretty good infact ,as it's been said above save haptic feedback touchscreens for phones and tablets.....

A touchscreen is faster and easier to use, easy as that. I wish we could get proper iOS or Android as the actual interface to make it even better, something that seems to be coming in the future. BMWs control with the movement of the actual dial do help a lot I would say for navigation.

Haven't tested the new R so can't talk about it too much, but most reviewers seem to all agree on that the new Golf R is preferable to the S3 for the driving mechanics. While the S3 excels in the looks and quality feel.

I had the touchscreen head unit in my R32 and thought it would be the business but once I started using it, I found it flawed. Any slight road movement meant hitting the right part of the screen was an issue and it was definitely distracting trying to keep an eye on the screen.
Having considered both an R and S3 I thought the interior of the R was a let down. The S just has a more upmarket feel and finish to it and looks more stylish and sleek.
If I was buying a Golf, I'd go for a GTI clubsport ahead of an R.

Reactions: ASRman, infernox and Rob2k68
^^100% agree with this^^
When I had my R36 I got to loath the touchscreen as I found it difficult to use while in motion.
The MMI in the 8V is a breeze to use in comparison and far better than the RNSE in the 8P.
On a side note, my mate is after an R at the moment as the prices seem to have dropped of late, but the ones with anything above base spec sell almost immediately

Reactions: richinsoton
^^100% agree with this^^
When I had my R36 I got to loath the touchscreen as I found it difficult to use while in motion.
The MMI in the 8V is a breeze to use in comparison and far better than the RNSE in the 8P.
On a side note, my mate is after an R at the moment as the prices seem to have dropped of late, but the ones with anything above base spec sell almost immediately

You guys are comparing a touch screen on a 10 year old car to now! There is no comparison.

They are much better and I'm sure Audi is moving to capacitive touch like on your smartphone starting with the A8.

It's a fact. Audi announced they are using full android in car going forward. Get used to it!

You guys are comparing a touch screen on a 10 year old car to now! There is no comparison.

They are much better and I'm sure Audi is moving to capacitive touch like on your smartphone starting with the A8.

It's a fact. Audi announced they are using full android in car going forward. Get used to it!

No, no I'm not, I'm comparing a modern capacitive touchscreen on modern cars and aftermarket headunits to decent tactile controls.

Touchscreens in cars are UTTERLY AWFUL, no ifs ands or buts. Controls on screens MOVE, different screens with different features depending on what's currently being displayed, no acknowledgment that you've actually hit anything/what you wanted to hit, at least not without staring at the screen, bumpy roads make them impossible to be accurate, having to reach over to the opposite side of the screen (especially if they don't redesign the UI between LHD and RHD, and let's face it, they don't currently bother swapping physical buttons left to right).

Also, stating that Android is designed for touchscreens is a daft statement, Linux was not designed with touch in mind, at all, heck Android behind the UI isn't massively different to the current QNX, and the UI itself can be whatever Audi want it to be. The only reason for the swap to Android is inter-compatibility, increased functionality, better access to a wider range of APIs for online service integration, and ease of development (QNX design tools are horrrid in comparison to Androids). Programming a physical HID device to control android is REALLY SIMPLE, there are a myriad of drivers already compiled for masses of hardware (like the leap motion sensor for example) so gesture control is possible as well as simple HID devices like keyboards and mice (which is how you'd implement the current MMI control logic, as a series of keystrokes and cursor movements to change focus).

Reactions: Benji34, ASRman, richinsoton and 1 other person
Full Android??

uh oh, I can hear the Apple sheep starting to bleat not fair already

Reactions: voorhees, richinsoton and KenL
Full Android??

uh oh, I can hear the Apple sheep starting to bleat not fair already

Also a daft statement, Android as an open platform is capable of controlling IOS devices in the same way that MMI currently is. Never used a Dynavin headunit, or an Xtrons, or etc etc etc. Going the other way around (having the car run an apple based ecosystem) would cripple the infotainment for anyone not wanting to use CarPlay.

Android platform may well be capable but would Apple allow their handsets to be controlled by their biggest competing OS. Apple is famous for restricting compatible accessories and software. Who else puts a chip in their charging leads to stop non apple certified ones being used?. Please don't tell me there is a valid technical reason for this.

Reactions: KenL
I have looked at a lot of the replies and the pluses for the S3 over the VWR are pretty much bang on. The one thing I love about my S3 is the disappearing MMI ...there when I want it and sent to the dungeon when not needed. I had a VW GLI with a touch screen and believe me the Audi rotary controller/push buttons is much more tactile to use and safer whilst driving. As some know I looked at an R and bought an S3 and never regretted it. Quality of interior and the saloon style, plus over here S3 cars (saloon version is your only choice) are quite rare to see on the road and you can not say that for the VW.

Android platform may well be capable but would Apple allow their handsets to be controlled by their biggest competing OS. Apple is famous for restricting compatible accessories and software. Who else puts a chip in their charging leads to stop non apple certified ones being used?. Please don't tell me there is a valid technical reason for this.

They already allow it, as I've already said, any number of Chinese Android based headunits (that have physical button interfaces for what it's worth) can control Apple phones and iPods from a Bluetooth, music playback and streaming POV.

If (and it's a big if) Apple locked down their devices to being able to be controlled by host devices running Mac OS or IOS only, then they'd be breaking compatibility with Windows based PCs, Linux based PCs and existing automotive systems (such as the box-like QNX that runs MMI). I think too many people here are assuming "Android" in this context means something that resembles a Samsung Galaxy or Nexus interface, it doesn't, at all, it just means the underlying operating system will be an Android based Linux kernel, nothing more, nothing less. Best guess is that it will look and feel like an evolution of MMI, not a complete departure from the operating logic currently used in the vehicles today.

Reactions: richinsoton and S37S
Also another positive for the audi is the sound. The S3 sounds alot better than the golf R.

fee7b4adb460e4454401f689ed0cab66.jpg
6245399c564a33cb6c2adffdd16868cd.jpg

Here are a couple of quick photos. Will take some more later.

Maybe park diagonal across Buckingham palace :)

It has gotten lots of attention so far... in the dealer and just in the Starbucks Carpark I’m in!

I can’t get google maps to work though - Audi connect won’t ironically connect. Is this something with my system or is it a bug?

Reactions: michael pash, Benji34, ASRman and 7 others
Google maps integration is currently down, has been for over a week, it's a known problem to Audi UK, supposedly they are working on it.

I still get attention in my S3 Saloon, at least a few times a week. They certainly seem to attract more attention than the hatch and SB.

Reactions: Chris S 1245
Shame about Google maps. I can’t connect to any Audi Connect services at all? Anyone else?

I drove the car about 8 miles before I stopped at Starbucks. I find the MMI really annoying to use. Far more attention needed than on a touch screen!

But I will see how I feel after a longer drive tomorrow! I do love the matrix indicators. They are very cool. And it is definitely a different feel to the R to drive but I am not sure I know exactly how it is different yet.

Looking good, very good
In my view a little more class than Ara blue. Have you made your mind up about the wheels?

(I bet your dealer breathed a large sigh of relief as they waved you goodbye today):cheerful:

fee7b4adb460e4454401f689ed0cab66.jpg
6245399c564a33cb6c2adffdd16868cd.jpg

Here are a couple of quick photos. Will take some more later.

Maybe park diagonal across Buckingham palace :)

It has gotten lots of attention so far... in the dealer and just in the Starbucks Carpark I’m in!

I can’t get google maps to work though - Audi connect won’t ironically connect. Is this something with my system or is it a bug?
Nice wheels lol