No more FrankenAudi

G

gokiwi64

I guess a 13 year old car was 13 years too much from a risk factor.

So with timing chain issues and now the lambda sensor issues, rear brake issues I have decided to take the purchase price hit and walk away from it.

So to all those that provided hints tips and general help a very big thank you but now its time to say goodbye.

So its ta ra from me.

Whats next then mate. I know you had a cupra, now a audi. So what do you fancy next?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I have no budget so I'm trying to do a deal with work to let me work from home for a bit , Not sure but its got to be easy maintenance, reliable and probably boring so maybe Japanese of some description.

8 years old and 170k my 1.9 TDI is still running sweet as a nut.

Dont get me wrong , I'm not saying all 13 year old Audi's are crap far from it , I know of many many cars much older and still running fine and at reasonable cost.
Its just not working out for me in my case, I thought I had done enough research about the potential issues a 13 year old car (read any car of reasonable age), and on the surface it all checked out , however all my troubles were in the codes that you just cannot see when checking out a used car (well I suppose you could but bot sure how well that would work).
I'm fairly confident/competent around cars but I dont have a garage or a flat surface to use , which means I have to pay for someone else to fix the issues and this doubles/triples the costs.

So for a car that cost £2500 odd , then add £2000 for the cam chains , £200 for the lambda sensors and then £200 for the rear brakes (which I did know about) and other minor and sundry costs , it just isn't a £5000 car not at 14 years old and 100k miles on the clock, and thats a shame as I really like it and I mean its a proper hoot , right amount of power, right sort of sound and fun to drive, but not being able to work on it in safety is a killer, and I dont blame anyone or anything other than myself.

This is my A3 2.0tdi 170bhp 2010 plate, just had a wash after the weekend trip away.
Cornwall to Blackpool and back, now has 219,600 miles on the clock.
Same engine, same clutch.
No problems.

Attachments

• IMG_0107 (Copy).JPG
    IMG_0107 (Copy).JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 105
Reactions: Retroman
Other side of the argument is that you could still spend £5K on any other car and may end up having to spend more to get it sorted.

At least you know that after £5k it will be in good order.

All depends on you budget in the end I guess.

It is an expensive car to run. But still for me way below what I could get a no so good condition s3 for.

There are also not much 4wd dsg 247hp hatchbacks that's can seat 4 to choose from for around 5k?

So here's then plan (based on a statement from the Mrs "Well you aint getting another car so you better sort this one !!), so knowing that that means "Fix it , but it better not coast anything" I have found 2 engines at a local breaker, 1 has 72k miles on it and has been heard running , its also a BDB like mine but manual , the other is a later model being a BUB, mileage unknown=. It looks pretty much identical to the BDB. I can get the BDB for £500 and the BUB for £700 , both being held in my name.
So whatever engine I will strip and replace the timing chains anyway , so this makes for a sub £1k cost , this makes fixing the sundry other things financially doable.
I still need a garage/lockup, secure flat area that I can work on or in and that's this weekends challenge , so all is not lost (yet) and worse comes to worse I have spoken to 2 people that replaced timing chains with the engine in situ but gearbox removed.

There is hope & there is light !!

That's the spirit! I wish I had the space and Skill to embark on such a journey. Care to rebuild two engines at once ;)

It will only be one engine , I just need to choose the best one, or the one that will fit :)