Engine swap ? CJCB TO CGLC

sarah1331

Reaction score
Can anyone give me the actual first hand knowlage that this can be done or JCB be upgraded the cylinder head is the same I know that

I want to buy a q5 177 but I only got 20k so mayaswell keep the a4 and put a 177 lump in

Has anyone got a rundown of what's needed ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi Sarah, why not get your present engine (ECU) re mapped, depending on what engine you have, 177bhp should not be hard to reach, probably Stage1
remap.
This should save you around £19500. :greedy dollars:

JG

Reactions: Chop.
Seems like a lot of hastle for 177bhp how old is your a4 there's a few q5s out there for under 20k is there nothing you like ?

Reactions: RS5 JON
My a4 is 2013
I need a q5 >2013 facelift
Sline
And must have mmi 3G minimum 3G + pref but I'll upgrade it if not

Oh under 100K miles pref 60 but accept up to 100

What engines in the A4 just now ?

Just seems a bit OTT to be swapping the engine on a 2013 motor for the sake of 177bhp if it's really a q5 you want just save up a bit more cash ?

I have a cjcb 136 but want a 177

The 177 has the horse power to pull more caravan but my car can pull 1400kg but the exact same weight 177 can pull 1600 my caravan is 1350 empty 1550 full

Get where am going with this
I could just buy a 177 a4 but I'd rather engine swap as mine has every extra going

Was hoping to keep the a4 as i think it's a better drive

Well its a different drive if you get me

A5 convertible is another option but kids !!!

Don't like the a5 apart from the cab

A6? A7?
Love the a7 but don't want to park around the corner because am scared of some ***t scratching it

I know the best way to solve all your problems but you won't like it

Scrap the caravan :sunglasses:

Reactions: RS5 JON and CHEZ
I wouldn't have thought that changing the engine would automatically entitle you to have the vehicle plated to the higher towing capacity. I'm sure there are many hoops to jump through in order to get the vehicle approved to tow the higher capacity.

Couldn't give about the sticker providing I know it's good

@Pricy I think the towing of a caravan is related to the weight of the towing vehicle and not the power plus I don't think it's enforced either

It's related but not related legally
All that Lawful stuff is on the sticker and licence

Good guide is 85% kerb weight unless experienced

And power related is a small part
Look at a a4 we technic 136 and a 177 sline

Same weights only difference is power and on the sticker it can pull 200kg more

If you're not bothered about the sticker then surely just get a remap and save yourself a load of hassle?

Reactions: RS5 JON, Chop. and sarah1331
I repair people's "remaps" everyday I'd prefer to pull my engine and swap it and mine be in a saleable condition

If you actually looked at the hardware differences between a 136bhp engine and a 177bhp engine there is probably very little in it.
Usually the turbo but on a lot of modern cars there is nothing in it other than the map in the ECU. Take the 218bhp 3.0 V6 TDI it has exactly the same hardware as the 272 bhp car.
The towing capability of the car is not just the ability to pull the weight it's also got to stop it as well. I know the caravan has it's own brake system but the car brake system has to cope with increased loads when towing.
The standard brake system on a 136 bhp car will probably have smaller front discs than the 177bhp car.
If you are repairing peoples remaps every day then those people have had poor remaps.

Look at the parts listing for the engine.
http://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+a4+avant/a4/2013-736/1/

I have had a look and as I suspected the block, cylinder head, pistons, crank, con rods , water pump, oil pump, radiator and cooling system, EGR, intercooler , injectors , high pressure pump, etc etc are all the same on the 136bhp and 177bhp CJCB and CGLC.

The main performance differentiator is the turbo and the clutches are both 240mm but the 177bhp may be a higher spec to deal with the extra torque. However most diesel cars clutches cope quite happily with a stage 1 map.
The different turbos
http://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+a4+avant/a4/2013-736/1/145-145025/

You can pick up a second hand turbo off ebay for £250 plus
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A4-B8-2014-2-0-TDI-Complete-Turbocharger-03L145721B/201734189608?

. or a brand new one for £600
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-GENUI...URBO-TURBOCHARGER-03L-145-721-B/400904338320?

With the turbo upgrade and having a remap I would probably go for somewhere around 190bhp, why stick at 177bhp when you can have a bit more easily.

So you don't need a new complete engine, change the turbo and if you want change the clutch and of course get a remap.
You will probably have 314mm brakes , I would be tempted to upgrade to 330mm if doing this.
If you are anywhere near Stockport Manchester I can strongly recommend Rick at Unicorn Motor developments he will sort the car out for whatever you want remap wise.

Reactions: Meemo, RS5 JON, Pricy and 2 others
Chances are, if got tugged by VOSA, they would go off the MAM of the caravan and the sticker on the car. Thats all they care about. they wont mess around weighing it and arguing the car is only pulling 85% of its weight or whatever. Its all on the stickers.

Chances are, if got tugged by VOSA, they would go off the MAM of the caravan and the sticker on the car. Thats all they care about. they wont mess around weighing it and arguing the car is only pulling 85% of its weight or whatever. Its all on the stickers.

Unfortunately not in my case as I have my b+E they need to weigh me

B licence = what you can possibly weigh
B+e = what you actually weigh

Both cases the car must be able to pull the weight your pulling this is where I would be overweight

But someone with a b licence would be overweight before they set off
Car mam 2025
VAN MAM 1550
Total 3575

With b+e
Car kerbweight 1550
Car load weight 200
Van empty 1350
Well within my 7 ton limit
But look a b licence holder cannot tow my setup because it CAN weigh more if it went on weight alone a b licence holder could drive my setup

Last edited:
If you actually looked at the hardware differences between a 136bhp engine and a 177bhp engine there is probably very little in it.
Usually the turbo but on a lot of modern cars there is nothing in it other than the map in the ECU. Take the 218bhp 3.0 V6 TDI it has exactly the same hardware as the 272 bhp car.
The towing capability of the car is not just the ability to pull the weight it's also got to stop it as well. I know the caravan has it's own brake system but the car brake system has to cope with increased loads when towing.
The standard brake system on a 136 bhp car will probably have smaller front discs than the 177bhp car.
If you are repairing peoples remaps every day then those people have had poor remaps.

Look at the parts listing for the engine.
http://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+a4+avant/a4/2013-736/1/

I have had a look and as I suspected the block, cylinder head, pistons, crank, con rods , water pump, oil pump, radiator and cooling system, EGR, intercooler , injectors , high pressure pump, etc etc are all the same on the 136bhp and 177bhp CJCB and CGLC.

The main performance differentiator is the turbo and the clutches are both 240mm but the 177bhp may be a higher spec to deal with the extra torque. However most diesel cars clutches cope quite happily with a stage 1 map.
The different turbos
http://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+a4+avant/a4/2013-736/1/145-145025/

You can pick up a second hand turbo off ebay for £250 plus
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A4-B8-2014-2-0-TDI-Complete-Turbocharger-03L145721B/201734189608?

. or a brand new one for £600
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-GENUI...URBO-TURBOCHARGER-03L-145-721-B/400904338320?

With the turbo upgrade and having a remap I would probably go for somewhere around 190bhp, why stick at 177bhp when you can have a bit more easily.

So you don't need a new complete engine, change the turbo and if you want change the clutch and of course get a remap.
You will probably have 314mm brakes , I would be tempted to upgrade to 330mm if doing this.
If you are anywhere near Stockport Manchester I can strongly recommend Rick at Unicorn Motor developments he will sort the car out for whatever you want remap wise.

ThNk you so much I'll look for rick as am just over the mountains south yorks