Oil consumption S3

Max Read

Reaction score
Just wondering how much oil people are putting in their s3? Not sure if mine is using a lot or a standard amount. Stage 1 revo currently.

Any info would be great!

My 59 S3 does use a fair bit, more than I would consider normal, but less than what Audi states is normal!
I think it uses about 0.5l every 1.5-2k miles atm.
My previous 08 S3 didn't use a drop.
I don't mind though as in my eyes it keeps the oil fresh

There are a lot of threads on oil consumption.....it varies a great deal,with some cars drinking the stuff,and others very little.

Mine averages about 1 litre/1000 miles.

Reactions: Boydie
My 59 S3 does use a fair bit, more than I would consider normal, but less than what Audi states is normal!
I think it uses about 0.5l every 1.5-2k miles atm.
My previous 08 S3 didn't use a drop.
I don't mind though as in my eyes it keeps the oil fresh

Yeah agreed by keeping it fresh. Not sure if paranoia is creeping in with an underlying issue though. Seem to be about half way up the dipstick currently. My drive is on a little slope.

I think I'm running on par with alex.

What capacity is the sump?

2011 S3, I've used 1 litre in 1568 miles, then before that 1 litre over 2000 miles. For me it changes a bit.
Every couple or few weeks I normally put in 0.2 or 0.3 litres

There are a lot of threads on oil consumption.....it varies a great deal,with some cars drinking the stuff,and others very little.

Mine averages about 1 litre/1000 miles.

Does the bulk of your oil loss end up in the catch tank or just burned and exiting the exhaust?

Reactions: S3Alex
Does the bulk of your oil loss end up in the catch tank or just burned and exiting the exhaust?

The stuff that winds up in the catch tank is nasty....

It does contain a fair amount of water,but also the stuff you can see in those pics,so some certainly gets burnt off I guess,but all this stuff is what ends up burnt onto your intake valves.....

Neither my S3 or my son's TTS uses much if any at all. However, our TT TFSI 2.0 does have a bit of a thirst.
Both TTS and TT bought at about 20K miles.

Neither my S3 or my son's TTS uses much if any at all. However, our TT TFSI 2.0 does have a bit of a thirst.
Both TTS and TT bought at about 20K miles.

My S3 is at 57k now an 08 plate. Just got to keep a real eye on it now I think! Hopefully it's not too bad!

About 900ml every 1k, depending on how I drive it.

I'm currently half way down the dipstick with 1300 miles in.

anyone know roughly how much oil is need to raise the dipstick from "Min level" to " Max level" reading?

just trying to work out how much has been used before topping it up.

Millers Nanodrive still the best oil for these engines? I know Audi recommend Castrol.

The Audi oil recommendation is 5W 30. Castrol Edge with VW 504 507 matches this.
Millers Nanodrive is 5W 40 and is recommended by places like Awesome or AKS. I run Millers in my S3 at stage 2+ and my son uses Castrol Edge in his TTS at RTech stage 1.
For peace of mind, I like to change the oil every 6 months, especially on tuned cars.
I took our TT into Audi for a service last week and I was assured that it would be filled with Mobil 1. When I saw the receipt Mobil 3000 had been used. It still matched VW 504 507 at 5W 30 but I would have preferred Mobil 1. Next time I will provide my own oil Ike I do for the S3.
Many years ago, my Dad was a keen amateur mechanic. He said to me that "The best oil is the cheapest" I was confused with this to begin with as he always used Castrol GTX which was the most expensive oil at the time! What he meant was that the BEST oil is the cheapest in the long run regarding looking after your engine and he never had any problems with bearings etc.

The ultimate oil thread is here...LOL

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/ultimate-final-8p-oil-thread.221763/

I use Motul 300V as opposed to Miller Nanodrive,but the important thing is a very good quality synthetic,changed at regular intervals.

I can also say that 40k miles after it's last build,the bottom end of the engine on mine was taken apart,and looks fine prior to being put back together again.....so the synthetics work!