Remote central locking retrofit

KEF A3 20V T

Turbo's Rule
Reaction score
My 1998 AGU T sport doesnt have remote central locking. does anyone know or retrofitted genuine audi RCL?? i want the funky flip out key and the convenience of not having to fiddle around in the dark after work for the lock. any input much apreciated

i fitted central locking to many cars but not a audi, it is possible dont know how much, you can get other kits just as cheap from other companys, you can get two, four and kits that do the boot as well, can be quite tricky to set up, i think all the audi's are also fitted with some sort of alarm (could be wrong), i think the central locking on all audis is the same as merc's vacuum type not postive or negative. i dont know if this helps in any way.

^^^ The one above does the job spot-on and can be fitted almost in a matter of seconds... You just have to go in your nearside rear-quarter behind the light and pull out your central locking control unit, connect the plugs and *maybe* splice into two wires...

And the best bit is... If you're not in any major rush I might have one going spare soon... That kit was fitted to my A3 when I bought it, but I've had a semi-finished (completed soon) project on the go for a while now which will render it surplus to requirements... PM me if you're interested...

Regards,

Rob.

id seen that b4! do u know if u cn put the audi flip key onto that reciever????

Unfortunately not; and that's the question I was wondering about which lead me to start the project mentioned above...

If you want to go from basic key to folding with integrated radio you need to start changing the central locking pump / control unit and possibly some other bits. I've been keeping this one under wraps for a while now as for all the looking I did I couldn't find any information from anyone doing such a mod previously; so wanted to make sure I'd got it spot on before posting a HOWTO (and of course be able to put it in the book as Bob's Mod). I'd love to be able to advise a) exactly what bits you need and b) how you go about doing it; but as said I've not quite finished yet, so for the next week or so I can only really say that you have to tread very carefully selecting the new bits to guarantee compatibility with the rest of the existing kit on your car and it's obviously not as economical as using an upgrade kit as you've got to buy central locking parts, in some cases alarm parts, keys and if you don't have VAG-COM and an old SKC (key code) to login to your immobiliser you need to pay Audi to match your new keys to the immobiliser too...

Of course everyone can expect a detailed thread on the project once it's totally finished and working 100% (hopefully like I say, in the next week or so (but knowing me it'll get to pay-day)), but if the extra hassle and expense is putting you off at the moment you can't go wrong with the Votex kit available from VAGParts - it's really easy to install and does everything just the same, it even operates the trick windows/roof just like the Audi remote key...

Regards,

Rob.

ahhhhh well it will be good to here how it goes mate. i didnt think it would be to complex u see thats y i asked. suppose nofin is as easy as it seems nower days

BTW the remote kits on ebay for around 20-30 quid will do the exact same as the vagparts one, as mentioned unfortunately you wont get flip out audi key functionality but u'll get an easy to do remote kit.

I fitted this one to my 1.8 T Sport which being an import also had no remote central locking. The blade can be cut by most locksmiths. I then removed the transponder from the standard key and fitted it in the retrofit flicky type key which even has a holder inside it just for that purpose!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Remote-Keyless-Entry-Audi-VW-Seat-Skoda-Ford-v60_W0QQitemZ120052018364QQihZ002QQcategoryZ75329Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Same here, you need to solder the interface into the central locking loom, But it works well.

Arite lads

sorry to hijack this thread

i got the same one off ebay and it arrived yesterday.

now my problem is that i have central locking with the key and that also arms the standard alarm on my A3. Basically instructions that came with it were not that good and i dont understand do i connect it to the alarms wiring loom that is located in the the left hand side of the boot next to the sub and autochanger or do i need to connect it to the doors wiring.

any help or shall i go to an electrician

cheers

Mo

Hi,
I Soldered in the interface to the Central locking pump loom located in the passenger side boot panel area behind the paneling. I made sure the antenna was sticking through the parcel shelf mount, in the hope of better reception.

I found the connections i needed through Elsawin, but if your not confident leave it to an electrician.

If i recall you need:
12v+
12v-
Lock
Unlock
link relay commons to 12v- (negatively switched)
Indicator feed

Wiring Colours will depend on the car year.

Steve

is the kit good quality?? i know from experiance u can get some rite ***** from ebay! this looks like a good option rather than usung oem parts

the kit is ok let you know once i ve had it fitted

the keys look ok aswel

how do i find out what wire does what on my car in the wiring loom is their anything in the manual

cheers

mo

you will need a wiring diagram for the central locking pump! sure some1 on here can get u one form somewhere!!

wiring diagram anyone???????

Hi,
I made some notes on this, ill see if i can find them

Steve

you dont happen to have ny info on how the transponder is swapped from the original key to the flip key??
does the boot unlock function work on the flip key or is it just used as a 2 button unit?

if you could pm me any info that would be great

nice one could do with the notes my cars a 1998 1.6 dont think the wiring will be that different

hopefully you ll find em

Cheers

MO

Hi Guys,
Here goes:
Audi Side
There are 3 plugs that go to the central locking Pump.

Power Plug = Self explanatory
Black Plug = Has the Close signal wire
Brown Plug = Has the Open Signal wire

Power plug (haven't documented the colour, but has unique cable colours to identify)

12v+ = RED/BLACK 10A general fused supply - your unit has a de-rated fuse
12v- = Brown

Black Plug Close
Red/Brown cable - note* watch out there is a Brown/red cable also on the same plug!!!!!

Brown Plug Open
Grey cable

Interface Wiring connections - * May be different on your Unit!!!!
Code:
Note your Open/close signals are negatively switched!

Interface                                                  Audi 

Blue (Close)                   ------->          Red/Brown
Green (Open)                 ------->          Grey
Yellow Switched Common ------->          12v- brown
Yellow/Black Common      ------->          12v- brown
Red 12V+                      ------->          Red/Black
Black 12v-                    ------->           Brown
Purple (indicators)          ------->           Didnt bother connecting
I didnt bother with the Indicators as they flash from the factory Alarm

I have a PDF with the central locking/Alarm wiring - PM me with your Email if you need it.

The kit came with Scotch lock connectors, but i always solder connections and hate these things.

Is there a way i can attach a pdf here? or do i not have enough posts yet?

you dont happen to have ny info on how the transponder is swapped from the original key to the flip key??
does the boot unlock function work on the flip key or is it just used as a 2 button unit?
I havent done this yet as i only have the one Key at the mo, the boot button does nothing, but could be wired to release the boot if you fit a soleniod to your tailgate.

Next thing i'm going to try is transplanting the Circuit board into a genuine Flip key.

Hope this helps

Steve :blackrs4:

Your 1998 Audi is already wired up for remote central locking, it has a locking pump with R/F receiver.

You just need to purchase a flip key (could be 2 button for 98, but not sure for A3) and then either carefully swap the transponder capsule out of the key half of the remote, or take all keys to audi for a transponder swap.

Then use VAG-COM to change the number in your central locking module to one which enables central locking etc (see Rosstech website).

Synch your remote to the car, get a new blade cut and away you go.

The range on the Audi remotes is poor though and a third party central locking or alarm system is superior.

have you got any part numbers etc to check that my pump is rite?? i have vag com so i could check it in the morning what pump it has in! this sounds even more promising!:yahoo:

inigoj said:
Your 1998 Audi is already wired up for remote central locking, it has a locking pump with R/F receiver.
Gotta say that when I checked the part number in ETKA for the pump/control unit on my 1998 A3 it was listed as central locking with alarm, no radio. Granted there are part numbers listed for that year with radio integrated, but not all of them...

Regards,

Rob.

In the elsawin schematic it shows the Antenna connection to be Pins 1 + 7 on the Black plug of the central locking interface. the ariel is labelled R47 Page 6 of 6.

Check your pump - you never know?

Hope this helps
Steve

I MANAGER TO GET THESE NUMBERS OFF VAGCOM
component:ZV-Pumpe,DWA,FunkD06
SHOP: WSC06313

ANYONE KNOW IF THIS IS THE RITE NUMBER?

The information you've posted doesn't shed a massive amount of light on the subject unfortunately, the WSC line is simply the 'coding' of the device which tells it what it is, what it does, and what other bits of the car it needs to talk to (this is the code you change for auto-windows, seperate driver's door unlocking, anti-hijack doors etc); the component line is more interesting (although not conclusive), as AFAIK I'm sure it actually lists "radio" in that line somewhere if your pump/cu actually supports it, and yours seems similar to the data reported by the basic one I ripped out of my car. I'll try to have a peep at what a radio-integrated version reports in that field and post again later if I can...

To find the exact central locking pump / control unit version you've got you need to be looking for a number that starts 8L0...

If memory serves, you can get this out of VAG-COM (it might even be on the overview page for block 35 (ie. where you got the rest of that data) - but I might be imagining it)...

The pump/cu will 99.9% likely be part nunber...

8L0 862 257 x (where x is a letter such as A, G, M, N (or maybe a few others))... The letter is the bit that will give away whether or not it has integrated radio and will allow the use of an audi transmitter (read: flip-key)...

Just don't get your hopes up too high that it will... I've spent so much time reading about, fiddling with and attempting-mods at all things R/C/L on A/S3 that it really isn't funny (it's caused big arguments at home!) and I find the suggestions that any old pump/cu can do it quite surprising...

Regards,

Rob.

just finishid putting my boot back together and i think i have the right pump. the number is: 8LO862257 G thats the rite one isnt it?

it also has a small coaxial cable in pins 1+7 in the small black connector

Ahhh you may well be onto a winner there, I think G is indeed one of the models with integrated radio... I'm getting my laptop back from a mate in an hour or so and once I have I'll check the number for ya...

Regards,

Rob.

i was reading on the a4 forum and they sed that any letter above A is radio equipped. fcuking bonus!!! u dont happen to know what the part number of the 2 button flip key i need?

also is the transponder a small ovel piece of plastic in the key??

Actually hang on, hold your horses buddy...

Just got off the phone to my mate, apparently G doesn't list "with radio remote control central locking system" like the later numbers too... and apparently G is offered as a later-replacement for model A (and like I say, I ripped a model A out and if definitely wouldn't not support an Audi remote (/flip-key) - no amount of persuasion (gentle or otherwise) would make it do it...)...

I'm just waiting for a screen-grab of the parts list to come through on email, once it does I'll post it up...

Regards,

Rob.

PS> Also, probably best to be reserved about what you get from the A4 forum, the pump/cu's have a similar range of configurations on them, but the part numbering system is a little different (and of course, if the parts were common they wouldn't be numbered 8L0 and 4D0 respectively, they'd have a common, non chassis-specific prefix)...

OK here's what ETKA shows as fitted to A3s MY98 and what it describes each as being able to do (click for big pic)...

Regards,

Rob.

a3lockingetka.jpg

bummer!!! so i need one of the other two then??did yours have the small coax in pins 1+7 in the small black plug??

wher did you get the ETKA thing from? is it free?

Its an interetsing one to be honest, obviously the impression given by the parts catalogue is that with a model G you've no chance, but the coax connection sorta throws it into question somewhat...

I'm pretty certain my model A pump/cu didn't have it... I'll try to dig it out of the garage and grab a photo if I can find it... Of course it may just be that the model G unit is a replacement to model A, and while it uses the same housing (with the same connection-points) as a "definitely" radio-integrated model, may not share the same internal electronics...

I guess the easiest and cheapest way to be certain of whether or not a 're-code' to your pump/cu which tells it that is has radio would work would be to find a local friend with an A3 and flip-key and try to pair their remote with your pump/cu (having adjusted the soft-coding to include radio remote), if it works, disco, go buy a flip-key and pair it up, if not, match the remote back to the owner's car and come-up with plan B... The only other way I guess is to buy a flip-key (/remote) and try to pair it once you've recoded your pump/cu - of course you may end up with a key that's useless to you until you replace your pump/cu if it doesn't work...

Buying a remote for a pump which isn't listed as radio-remote integrated might in itself be hit and miss though, as there are a few different versions for different markets - I'd say if you were going to have any joy it would need to be a PR5D1 type transmitter, but as you simply can't look up 8L0 862 257 G in ETKA/ETOS and find the matching key type (because they don't list it as radio compatibile), you're flying blind. As a side note to this, it's worth noting that if you get an 257 N pump/cu you'll need a PR5D2 key - these units are meant for the middle-east/central & south americas - and the difference to the best of my knowledge is that the unlicenced radio frequencies (and therefore the frequencies r/c/l uses) are different, so you can't mix-and-match transmitters/receivers from the two even though they're both A3 parts.

To correct an earlier statement (I was getting mixed-up); WSC06313 isn't the options coding for the unit, it's actually just a log of the last workshop that worked on the unit... If you could post your 'soft coding' (shown in the adjacent box in VAG-COM), we could see what options it's currently set-to (ie. if radio remote is one of them)...

(PS> Can anyone jump-in with an URL for the calculator - I know Gambba emailed a copy to me years ago (long lost now unfortunately), and I thought there was a link on Wak's TT site, but I can't seem to find it there - and it's WAY too much of a Sunday to start adding and subtracting the numbers 'by hand' - just in case we can't find the calculator, I'll put the ELSA listings here 'for future reference/in emergency use')

http://www.robvanguard.co.uk/a3/CODING97.pdf
http://www.robvanguard.co.uk/a3/CODING98.pdf
http://www.robvanguard.co.uk/a3/CODING00.pdf

Anyway, just as a closing summary to all the above, I'd say that with a model G pump/cu I wouldn't hold my breath, but there is a small chance that with some testing/fiddling you might find it does...

Regards,

Rob.

>>Also, to answer your question re: ETKA... Unfortunately no, it's not freely available - it's a complete electronic parts catalogue supplied to VAG dealerships (some LEX-affiliated dealerships will use ETOS as well/instead); I don't wish to break forum rules or expedite software piracy, so I'll just say that a donkey got me my copy (the same goes for ELSA (the electronic workshop/service manual)).

The '8L0 862 257 G' does have the R/F receiver. I am using this A3 pump in my A4.

To my knowledge there is only the 'A' suffix 8LO pump that did not have Radio, and this was due to the earlier I/R remote system still being used on early 97 cars.

The small glass transponder capsule can be tricky to remove from a key, as they are normally glued in.

my soft coding is 13130 which in those pages says with remote central locking!!! v confusing i have a wiring diagram also and that says that if the aeirl is there its got RCL il post it if u wanna see!

All A3/A4 from late 97on are wired up for remote central locking.

If the 'Remote' was originally an option, and was not purchased, Audi just gave people non-remote keys.

Well there you are, we have someone using a G with remote, and you have coding 13130 - I'd say get hold of an 8L0 / PR5D1 key and give it a whirl...

Regards,

Rob.

hmm well al giv it a go! does anyone know what the transponder look like ore any pics of it. and also what do i have to do with vagcom to enable the remote central locking function?

In theory you won't have to do anything with VAG-COM as your CU is already set to 13130; so all you need to do is match transmitters (remotes) to the receiver (pump/CU)... I believe this can be done without VAG-COM (not sure how myself though, it's something like spin around three times, pat your head, press all the buttons on the remote, spin around three times again, pat your dog on his head, spin around... etc... sure someone will be able to advise); there is a 'ELSA' method which from memory requires a bit of VAG-COM magic, but nothing serious... If nobody pops-up with the 'no VAG-COM' method I'll do a PDF shortly (I'm just mid-match on BF2142! ;)).

Regards,

Rob.

do you know what the part number is for a 2 button remote and do u know where i cn get 1 there!