Garrett alternatives...

RB S3

Reaction score
Hi guys, having decided to upgrade my turbo, I have been advised to go gtx3076r. Being around £1400 all in, was wandering if there are cheaper alternatives that offer similar power and drivability.
So saw these Holset turbos. Apparently reliable as used on trucks, and alot cheaper.
Thoughts?....
Screenshot 20160819 093703

you need to take whoevers giving you this advice on build and turbos a huge pinch of salt dude

Reactions: CHEZ
you need to take whoevers giving you this advice on build and turbos a huge pinch of salt dude

I understand everyone's opinion differs, even from doing various searches, there are people prefering/being content with various setups.
So as you have seen my engine, with large port, na cams etc, what would you say the above holset, twin scroll, would turn out like? Im not overly picky how it drives /not doing trackdays...

wanting what power and what delivery?

Take advise from those who have done this, not just read it

Reactions: S3Alex
400-500bhp.
Best delivery possible for that power.
My hybrid is already laggy, so don't mind it kicking in 3.5-4k

Any experience with holset turbos?

depends how you define lag really.

Hybrids, are NOT laggy at all.

either your idea of lag is different to most peoples, or there is an issue with your setup.

I think my setup didn't suit the hybrid tbh, anyway, ang advice on the holset?

Id go with the tried and tested Garrett GT ranges.

With an engine like yours you could plan out your build and make something that works to yor advantage. If you try a turbo not used before you might just end up with a car you dont enjoy driving/makes crap power/ has cost you alot of money etcetc.

depends how you define lag really.

Hybrids, are NOT laggy at all.

either your idea of lag is different to most peoples, or there is an issue with your setup.
there is. 8.5:1 CR, ported largeport head... main wrong spec for hybrid elements

400-500bhp.
Best delivery possible for that power.
My hybrid is already laggy, so don't mind it kicking in 3.5-4k

my fave turbo for this range is billet GT3076
spools nice, great torque onset and power potential.
external wastegated merge collector manifold, etc...

Reactions: Gops
there is. 8.5:1 CR, ported largeport head... main wrong spec for hybrid elements

Ah, that figures then, all wrong for a hybrid really.

Billet 3076 has to be the best way to go. The peak figures these are making, combined with the early spool makes them just about the best choice for just about anything currently!

The holsets you're looking at will spool later, lag more, and likely produce less power than a billet 76.

Best BT I've driven I personally like spool wise was efr 2.0lt stroker had 24psi boost under 3000rpm so quick.Also drove focus st with efr virtually no lag and over 500hp beast.

My mate uses holsets, on both his 2jz and sr20.
They're pretty bomb proof, very simple turbos, and make good power.

The w denomination is a billet version. That hx35 is a fairly big thing.

Only issue you have with holsets is their unique hotsides with their unique A/R measurments. This is no direct comparison with a .63 a/r of a Garrett for example.
They're often internal gated too, so like my friend has done on his hy35 you'll need to weld shut the wastegate, weld on a vband discharge etc, so it's no easy off the shelf assembly like a Garrett or similar would be.

I believe the yanks know of places and people that make all sorts of housing for them tho. Good thread on vwvortex for that.

Other turbos such as Xona are taking off pretty rapidly. Along with precision, Borg warner