Cars Been Keyed

MikeM_

Reaction score
Evening,

Not used the car today and when I went to walk the dog I noticed both the doors on the passenger side have been keyed.

It's quite deep so I doubt t-cut will do much good.

I'll post some pictures in the morning just wondering if anyone knows of a body shop in Manchester that will do a decent job. Also does anyone have an idea on price?

Colour is Mythos black too which makes the key mark stand out :( you just can't have anything nice.

Thanks in advance,

Mike.

Can't help with a body shop suggestion as I live in Aussie but I aged a few years reading your post - so sorry to hear about the car :(

I'm sure it will be back to as new again soon.

Reactions: pburv and MikeM_
Scumbags! Some people have aren't worth the oxygen they breath, I mean if you parked in someones slot or 'accidentally' blocked someone, a angry letter stuck on your windscreen would suffice.
But keying!
If you live in a rough neighborhood maybe just get it professionally touched up and polished. Can't suggest any garages cos I don't live in Blighty.

Sorry to read this Mike ;o(

Can't recommend a bodyshop near you but can pass on my last experience. Door and fender needed painting on my Seat Leon in pearl Nevada white quoted £750 from Listers Audi, in the end I went with an approved Vauxhall bodyshop. They did an amazing job you'd never know which side was painted for £280.

Reactions: WarwickL, MikeM_ and pburv
Evening,

Not used the car today and when I went to walk the dog I noticed both the doors on the passenger side have been keyed.

It's quite deep so I doubt t-cut will do much good.

I'll post some pictures in the morning just wondering if anyone knows of a body shop in Manchester that will do a decent job. Also does anyone have an idea on price?

Colour is Mythos black too which makes the key mark stand out :( you just can't have anything nice.

Thanks in advance,

Mike.
Hi mate I work for a body shop obviously I can recommend us for your work if you want more info please feel free to drop me a pm.

Reactions: Gordo77, Schizophonic, WarwickL and 2 others
Hi mate I work for a body shop obviously I can recommend us for your work if you want more info please feel free to drop me a pm.

I've dropped you a message mate thanks :)

So this morning was the first time I seen it in the light. Tried some t-cut but it's not done anything to be honest, not that I thought it would. I've attached some pictures :(

Attachments

• A1.JPG
    A1.JPG
    358.6 KB · Views: 516
  • A2.JPG
    A2.JPG
    376.2 KB · Views: 504
  • A3.JPG
    A3.JPG
    552.5 KB · Views: 581
Car looks immaculate mate !

Even those B pillars look swirl free.

Credit to you.

All the best with the repairs - you will end up with thicker paint which is good - more microns is always good :)

Reactions: Rob2k68
Car looks immaculate mate !

Even those B pillars look swirl free.

Credit to you.

All the best with the repairs - you will end up with thicker paint which is good - more microns is always good :)

Thanks I do like to keep the car clean. I usually clean it every other Sunday but I didn't yesterday and then this happens. I'm just cautious of how much it will cost to fix now :(

Sorry to hear!

Way too many thefts, hit and runs, etc these days...

Reactions: MikeM_
Sorry to hear. I've been a victim of the same crime. It sucks when someone deliberately scratches your car for no reason. Where was your car parked? Any cctv?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Can certainly empathise with you after having my bumper scrapped and scuffed yesterday, hope cost of getting it sorted is not to much and its restored to its best soon as possible

Sorry to hear. I've been a victim of the same crime. It sucks when someone deliberately scratches your car for no reason. Where was your car parked? Any cctv?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Thanks, unfortunately no CCTV it was parked outside my house but it's too far for this given where the car is parked :( I'm just hoping when it's sorted this doesn't happen again.

Can certainly empathise with you after having my bumper scrapped and scuffed yesterday, hope cost of getting it sorted is not to much and its restored to its best soon as possible

Likewise some people just don't care I feel for you too it's not something you want to come back to see. I'm hoping it's not going to cost that much fingers crossed.

Reactions: Daveotto
Gutted for you mate :( I had a chat with the guy that does all the paintwork for Cheshire Oaks Audi (It's outsourced), I've got his number on my phone, I'll send you a PM in a min. I'm sure he was from Manchester as well, he hates doing work for Audi as they take months to pay him.

Gutted for you mate :( I had a chat with the guy that does all the paintwork for Cheshire Oaks Audi (It's outsourced), I've got his number on my phone, I'll send you a PM in a min. I'm sure he was from Manchester as well, he hates doing work for Audi as they take months to pay him.

Thanks mate appreciate it. Hopefully by the end of the day then I'll have a few quotes which I really hope won't make me cry :)

Reactions: S32B and WarwickL
A mate of mine had his s3 keyed it was same if not worse than that and he got all his out. Find a decent detailer who's handy with a machine polisher and I reckon he'll get them out for you.

Sorry to hear this, hope you get it sorted ok

I reckon get about 80% of them out with a machine polish like.

Worth a shot with someone with a polisher before splashing out on paint

Cheshire Auto Detailing in Knutsford aren't too far for you and are really helpful. Worth a trip for a chat maybe? Station only across the road from them if they can help and you need to leave it there. Good luck.
http://cheshireautodetailing.com

A friend of mine does detailing and he's based in Manchester, might be worth calling Andy on 07516 329202 and see what he thinks.

He also has a website - http://www.cleanyourride.uk where he sells sample sizes of all types of cleaning products, that said I don't think any of the scratch removers will touch that, you'll need Andy to look at it with his machine polisher.

Good luck

• I think the general rule of thumb is this:
If you run your fingernail across the scratch and your nail catches in it, then it cant be polished out.....

Reactions: Gordo77
Hi,

Thanks for all the comments guys. I've had various quotes and thanks to Benash20 & S32B for the help too getting me a quote really appreciate the help guys. Thanks for all the kind words on here too. Now for the cost, brace yourselves... Cheapest I have had is from an Audi approved bodyshop in Trafford Park (Prestige Parkway). They said they would need to take both the scratched doors off on the passenger side and spray them. This includes removing the trim etc. In total this would cost £420.00.

I've had a few people ask me if the entire side of the car needs to be sprayed, to be honest I'm not sure myself. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. The car is a 2015 (65) so it's not as though the paints that old on the car.

The gentleman that I got the quote from at Prestige Parkway didn't seem to think the entire side of the car would need to be sprayed.

What do you guys think about this then? Does the entire side of the car need doing for it to look as though it never happened?

Hi,

Thanks for all the comments guys. I've had various quotes and thanks to Benash20 & S32B for the help too getting me a quote really appreciate the help guys. Thanks for all the kind words on here too. Now for the cost, brace yourselves... Cheapest I have had is from an Audi approved bodyshop in Trafford Park (Prestige Parkway). They said they would need to take both the scratched doors off on the passenger side and spray them. This includes removing the trim etc. In total this would cost £420.00.

I've had a few people ask me if the entire side of the car needs to be sprayed, to be honest I'm not sure myself. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. The car is a 2015 (65) so it's not as though the paints that old on the car.

The gentleman that I got the quote from at Prestige Parkway didn't seem to think the entire side of the car would need to be sprayed.

What do you guys think about this then? Does the entire side of the car need doing for it to look as though it never happened?
Hi Mike, Damion would charge you more than the £420 you've been quoted?

Hi Mike, Damion would charge you more than the £420 you've been quoted?

Hi,

I've had quotes from a few places now was going to try him but maybe not if he's more expensive. What people's opinions? Should spraying two doors be ok as the rear quarter and front wing haven't been scratched.

Hi,

I've had quotes from a few places now was going to try him but maybe not if he's more expensive. What people's opinions? Should spraying two doors be ok as the rear quarter and front wing haven't been scratched.
We always recommend blending the panels either side or this will potentially look a mess.

Reactions: MikeM_ and WarwickL
Hi,

I think I understand this, basically all the "vertical panels", so the whole side of the car...? It does seem a bit excessive. Could you see how it looks after getting the doors done initially?

From my last repair front door and fender with a pearlescent Nevada white paint it matched perfectly with the original rear door paint at any angle and any given lighting condition.

Personally I'd only have the panels painted that need it. Maybe a machine polish to existing adjacent panels if needed.

Reactions: MikeM_ and Gordo77
Hanstons in Altrincham might be worth a look, a few local high end garages outsource work there.

Hi,

Sorry my bad, I worded it wrong. I thought you meant that the cheapest quote you had was from an Audi approved bodyshop in Trafford Park, AFTER you had been given Damion's quote as well :)

I didn't mean he'd charge you more lol ;)

I wouldn't see an issue in just having the doors painted on 2015 black car. If a bodyshop can't match black they shouldn't be in business!.

Reactions: MikeM_, Ruhel and Rob2k68
I'd definitely try a machine polish first, I removed a key mark from my A4 today that looked about as deep, granted it wasn't as long (only about half a panel) and I've not got rid of them completely (though the Missus can't see them any more, I can), I'm no professional detailer though, and I only had a choice of two pads and two polishes.

Reactions: Gordo77
Evening,

Thanks for all the help I really do appreciate it, always good to know I've got people to ask about stuff like this! I've gone with a quote from an Audi approved bodyshop total cost is £420 Inc VAT to spray both doors. I've asked the question about needing to blend the rear quarter and front wing and he's assured me it doesn't need it as it's gone no where near these parts and the doors will be a perfect match. I won't be paying until I've seen the job done anyway :) so all being well it will be done in a few weeks time. I'll keep you guys updated.

Reactions: richinsoton and Rob2k68
I'd definitely try a machine polish first, I removed a key mark from my A4 today that looked about as deep, granted it wasn't as long (only about half a panel) and I've not got rid of them completely (though the Missus can't see them any more, I can), I'm no professional detailer though, and I only had a choice of two pads and two polishes.

I would if I knew someone close by with one who has the skill set to do this. I've tried by hand but it didn't do anything as you'd imagine.

Agree about trying a machine polish first. A few years ago I badly scraped the passenger side of my Z4 along tree branches at the side of the road. I was traveling reasonably fast (country road) and it left a lot of long scratch marks. I tried hand polishing first and it made no difference. Got the DA polishing machine out, used a fairly heavy cutting compound and it took them away completely. I'm far from an expert in detailing/polishing but was really pleased with the outcome.

Only thing about respraying is it will leave the paint thicker on those panels, which could be picked up at inspection time if you're on a pcp and plan to hand the car back at the end of the pcp.

Hope you get it looking good again.

Agree about trying a machine polish first. A few years ago I badly scraped the passenger side of my Z4 along tree branches at the side of the road. I was traveling reasonably fast (country road) and it left a lot of long scratch marks. I tried hand polishing first and it made no difference. Got the DA polishing machine out, used a fairly heavy cutting compound and it took them away completely. I'm far from an expert in detailing/polishing but was really pleased with the outcome.

Only thing about respraying is it will leave the paint thicker on those panels, which could be picked up at inspection time if you're on a pcp and plan to hand the car back at the end of the pcp.

Hope you get it looking good again.

I'd imagine when I trade it in they'd be happy it's been fixed and not still have a key mark down the side of the doors. I'm sure being black I'll have other marks on it by the time I come to get rid but at the minute it's more or less immaculate aside from this scratch. I've had it from the end of Jan and only covered 3,400 miles. You'll see off my other posts I like to keep it clean.

All I keep thinking now is I hope no one does this again. Every time I hear a noise I'm constantly checking on it :(

Reactions: Rob2k68