Facelift decisions: 2.0 TDI or 1.4 COD

G

Gordo77

I know the diesel vs petrol debate has been done to death, but I'm really quite undecided on whether to go for the 1.4 COD engine, as opposed to the 2.0 TDI which I've had in my last 2 Audi's. I currently have the 2.0 TDI 184PS engine in the TT, but have had an A3 (8V) before with the 150 PS engine.

At the moment this is my typical commute to work:

25 miles each way
About 60% town driving and 40% motorway (in terms of clock time)
52.8 mpg

Traffic on the M8 was particularly bad tonight and fairly slow in places, but on a good day 55-57 mpg is possible:

IMG 2750

On paper there seems to be a lot of positives about the 1.4 COD and a few people on here speak highly of it. I can see both sides of the petrol/diesel argument. My overall yearly mileage is around 7K.

My question is... what do you reckon I am likely to see from the 1.4 COD engine in terms of mpg on my daily commute to work, assuming same driving style etc. All opinions welcome. :)

Reactions: pburv
I know the diesel vs petrol debate has been done to death, but I'm really quite undecided on whether to go for the 1.4 COD engine, as opposed to the 2.0 TDI which I've had in my last 2 Audi's. I currently have the 2.0 TDI 184PS engine in the TT, but have had an A3 (8V) before with the 150 PS engine.

25 miles each way
52.8 mpg

Traffic on the M8 was particularly bad tonight and fairly slow in places, but on a good day 55-57 mpg is possible:

View attachment 96669

On paper there seems to be a lot of positives about the 1.4 COD and a few people on here speak highly of it. I can see both sides of the petrol/diesel argument. My overall yearly mileage is around 7K.

My question is... what do you reckon I am likely to see from the 1.4 COD engine in terms of mpg on my daily commute to work, assuming same driving style etc. All opinions welcome. :)
I guess if you are only doing 7k a year then my choice would be the 1.4..The only thing that will make me wary is the torque difference between diesel and petrol.Like you said it's been debated to death...lol
As for the 1.4 cod with the limited experience I have had with this engine(missus has a Leon with this engine) I reckon you will get similar if not more mpg as your TT...:friends:

Reactions: richinsoton, Gordo77, Scottyg and 1 other person

25 miles each way
52.8 mpg

View attachment 96669

As Paul says, bottom line for me is mileage for diesel/vs petrol, and 7k p/a doesn't quite warrant a diesel!

Providing you're not towing a caravan all the time that is, so don't need the torque - but I can't see a TT being a caravan-towing car ;)

Reactions: Gordo77 and pburv
I got told many moons back that it's not worth thinking about going diesel unless you are doing over 12,000 per year.

How much more is the diesel version of what you're looking at? Divide that over the time you will keep the car...would you use that amount in extra gallons of petrol to do the miles you do?

Just looked: I'd go for petrol. this is on a 5 door manual s-line A3
Vs

Roughly 104 gallon on the diesel to do 7000 miles at average of 67mpg
Roughly 122 gallon on the petrol to do 7000 miles at average of 57mpg

Difference - 18 gallon of petrol = £91. So if you keep the car 3 years it's only going to cost you £273 more in fuel, bet the diesel to buy would be more than that!

Now that's man maths :D

Reactions: toooldforboyracing, markwiggy, Tej13 and 5 others
I got told many moons back that it's not worth thinking about going diesel unless you are doing over 12,000 per year.

How much more is the diesel version of what you're looking at? Divide that over the time you will keep the car...would you use that amount in extra gallons of petrol to do the miles you do?

Just looked: I'd go for petrol. this is on a 5 door manual s-line A3
View attachment 96675

Roughly 104 gallon on the diesel to do 7000 miles at average of 67mpg
Roughly 122 gallon on the petrol to do 7000 miles at average of 57mpg

Difference - 18 gallon of petrol = £91. So if you keep the car 3 years it's only going to cost you £273 more in fuel, bet the diesel to buy would be more than that!

Now that's man maths :D
Lol Man maths wins every time....(if your a man that is)...:rockwoot:

Reactions: Gordo77 and Scottyg
Also a lot of other costs associated with diesels. Presume the new A3 has adopted the AdBlue tanks since being found out that they cant achieve the emission targets without using cheat devices? Then there are potential DPF issues down the line..

Makes me laugh that people talk about the small MPG savings, then have to take their diesel on an extended motorway run in high revs to clear the DPF light....

If you are a high mileage driver that does lots of motorway cruises than diesels are justifiable, but given the general attitude towards them (and rightly so...) its only a matter of time before they will be phased out.

Oh and they sound awful...

1.4TFSI is my choice :)

Reactions: Jassyo06, Gordo77, S32B and 2 others
I love my 1.6TDi S-Tronic. Does what I need it to do and very well at that. However, I will more than likely go back to petrol S-Tronic next time. Having driven my wife's MINI 1.2T over the past few years, it has convinced me that the smaller turbocharged engines are fun to drive. And with the COD technology in play just about as fuel friendly.

Reactions: Jassyo06, Max-Robbo, Gordo77 and 1 other person
I love my 1.6TDi S-Tronic. Does what I need it to do and very well at that. However, I will more than likely go back to petrol S-Tronic next time. Having driven my wife's MINI 1.2T over the past few years, it has convinced me that the smaller turbocharged engines are fun to drive. And with the COD technology in play just about as fuel friendly.
Could not have put it better mate.....:friends:

Reactions: Gordo77 and Scottyg
When are they introducing the 1.5L petrol engine? Miller cycle and variable turbo is supposed to increase torque and fuel economy.

I would hang on to see more details of the new engine.

Reactions: Gordo77
Forget about costs. Just get the 1.4. Lovely engine.

Reactions: Jassyo06, deltapapa, pburv and 2 others
As I said in another post, I current do around 14k miles a year. I did a simple spreadsheet taking in to account mpg (combined less 20%), road tax, purchase price etc for both the 2.0TDI-184 and the 2.0TFSI-190 and the 1.4TFSI-150 and the running costs worked out £334 more that the 2.0TDI-184 for the TFSI and £3700 less over the 1.4TFSI. These were for each model together with the options I would add.

The 184 and 190 are very close in overall price and performance but the 1.4-150 would mean a big loss in overall performance.

Reactions: Gordo77
As I said in another post, I current do around 14k miles a year. I did a simple spreadsheet taking in to account mpg (combined less 20%), road tax, purchase price etc for both the 2.0TDI-184 and the 2.0TFSI-190 and the 1.4TFSI-150 and the running costs worked out £334 more that the 2.0TDI-184 for the TFSI and £3700 less over the 1.4TFSI. These were for each model together with the options I would add.

The 184 and 190 are very close in overall price and performance but the 1.4-150 would mean a big loss in overall performance.

How often would you get to use the extra performance of the 184/190 over the 1.4COD in
Today's motoring conditions.?
Every journey I've been recently has involved traffic jams, contraflows and variable speed cameras ,so
it would make no difference if I had 150Ps or 650ps, the journey time would still be the same!

Reactions: MrMoo28, Ignition1, richinsoton and 2 others
I have a 1.4COD with S-Tronic and came to it from another make of diesel. I loved the torque of the diesel but hated the sound and the smell. The 1.4 has more than met my expectations - great performance, revs nicely, nice rasp under acceleration but almost silent at start up and under light load. No longer do I have to look for plastic gloves at the fuel station! I have done 13,000 miles in 2 years and on a brim-to-brim basis the car has done 40.31mpg. But my journeys are not like yours in the TT - mainly local but with occasional motorway trips where I can see (on the DIS) over 50mpg. Leaving aside the negative environmental and health aspects of diesel, for me the 1.4COD is great and I'd buy another tomorrow if I was going to change my car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: pburv, Scottyg, Gordo77 and 1 other person
How often would you get to use the extra performance of the 184/190 over the 1.4COD in
Every journey I've been recently has involved traffic jams, contraflows and variable speed cameras ,so
it would make no difference if I had 150Ps or 650ps, the journey time would still be the same!
May be when I'm driving in the UK but being retired I never go driving at busy times. A lot of the more rural roads near me a very quiet during the day apart from the odd tractor. But I do use the extra power quite a lot when I go on holiday to various parts of Germany. A lot of their more rural roads are also quiet outside 'rush hour' times and also I quite often drive at 120-140mph for quite long periods on the Autobahn.
I have a 1.4COD with S-Tronic and came to it from another make of diesel. I loved the torque of the diesel but hated the sound and the smell. The 1.4 has more than met my expectations - great performance, revs nicely, nice rasp under acceleration but almost silent at start up and under light load. No longer do I have to look for plastic gloves at the fuel station! I have done 13,000 miles in 2 years and on a brim-to-brim basis the car has done 40.31mpg. But my journeys are not like yours in the TT - mainly local but with occasional motorway trips where I can see (on the DIS) over 50mpg. Leaving aside the negative environmental and health aspects of diesel, for me the 1.4COD is great and I'd buy another tomorrow if I was going to change my car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
How about the 'global warming' aspect of increased CO2 from a petrol engine compared with that of a diesel engine of the same power. It is all very good having healthy people provided their is still a planet for them to live on. A increase in noise from a diesel is one thing to consider which is why I am also interested in trying the 2.0TFSI-190 which has the same power as my current TDI-184 albeit with a little less torque.

Reactions: richinsoton and Gordo77
Exactly why I'm thinking of dropping the 300BHP next time and getting something different...after seeing the new A5 Coupe!!! a 1.8 petrol in that would do:

audi-a5-zeb-0064.jpg

I keep finding myself short on boot space recently!!! The A5 has a much bigger boot.

Reactions: pburv, Max-Robbo and Gordo77
If you are considering a 1.4 TFSI , get the A3 e-tron and have best of both worlds, better fuel economy than a bare bones 1.4TFSI and Diesel.

Reactions: Ignition1
Exactly why I'm thinking of dropping the 300BHP next time and getting something different...after seeing the new A5 Coupe!!! a 1.8 petrol in that would do:

audi-a5-zeb-0064.jpg

I keep finding myself short on boot space recently!!! The A5 has a much bigger boot.

Ford Taurus 201X or AKA Super Mondeo.
ford-taurus-china-silver-1.jpg

May be when I'm driving in the UK but being retired I never go driving at busy times. A lot of the more rural roads near me a very quiet during the day apart from the odd tractor. But I do use the extra power quite a lot when I go on holiday to various parts of Germany. A lot of their more rural roads are also quiet outside 'rush hour' times and also I quite often drive at 120-140mph for quite long periods on the Autobahn.

How about the 'global warming' aspect of increased CO2 from a petrol engine compared with that of a diesel engine of the same power. It is all very good having healthy people provided their is still a planet for them to live on. A increase in noise from a diesel is one thing to consider which is why I am also interested in trying the 2.0TFSI-190 which has the same power as my current TDI-184 albeit with a little less torque.

According to Audi the CO2 for both cars is 105g/km. According to nextgreencar.com the 1.4TFSI is 113g/km while the 2.0TDI is 120g/km. The NOx for the 1.4TFSI is 0.027, while the 2.0TDI is 0.052.

On all counts the 1.4TSI is 'greener', but I agree with the other post about the ETRON if doing lots of town driving. Could be very cheap to run if charging isn't an issue. Considering one myself.

OT question: Apparently my S5 only emits 0.006g/km of NOx...can anyone explain that one to me...?

Last edited:
Reactions: glospete, pburv and Gordo77
Ford Taurus 201X or AKA Super Mondeo.
ford-taurus-china-silver-1.jpg
HA!

Yea the new B9 hasn't gone down well over on the A5OC forum....personally glad I went for a B8.5 and got the massive discount!

Reactions: pburv, Gordo77 and gamegenie
Thanks for all these comments guys - some really good points. :) I am now tempted to go for the 1.4 COD over the 2.0 TDI. Yes, torque is down, but same power and mpg on paper not too far off the diesel. This morning I paid more attention to motorway vs town driving, and the 40 minute journey was about 22 mins in town and 18 mins on the motorway and the traffic was moving a lot better this morning.

I know the 1.4 COD will have a different feel about it, but that's certainly not a bad thing!

IMG 2751

Reactions: pburv and glospete
Also note that the petrol is 75kg's lighter than the 2.0 TDi and most of that extra weight is over the front axle, so the turn in should be sharper in the petrol and it probably goes someway to offsetting the reduction in torque.

Reactions: pburv and glospete
Exactly. It also depends a lot on the type of roads you drive on and why. Most of my driving is now just for the pleasure of driving. When I last changed to my existing 184 TDI I test drove the 150 TDI as well and the main difference I found was the extra torque of the 184 gave me the much better take up out of corners in rural roads that I was used to with my previous 170 TDI. The 150 was a bit lacking.

As far as not being able to use the full power of the 184 or 190 try telling S3 guys that!

I can only agree with the positives the 1.4 engine has over the diesel, the petrol engine is more than adequate at over taking with enough grunt low down, although not as much as the diesel, it is quieter and more refined than a diesel as well. Having had one for two and half years I would not go back to an oil burner.
Just to throw a spanner into the works though, you know there is a 2.0l petrol on the way?

Agree with most of the comments on here - petrol over diesel for me, any day of the week. I was getting 40mpg in my 1.4 COD - but that was all heavy traffic, town driving with some motorway jaunts and A-road blasts. Impressive given you could get even better numbers if you drove a bit more carefully and on motorways more. On a motorway I used to get 50+ easily.

I don't like the sound of low displacement diesels either. Someone above mentioned an eTron which could be an option? If you can charge it overnight you'll use no fuel in town, and get 50+ on the motorway. Just a shame they don't offer the eTron in S-Line styling like they do in Europe. You'll also pay £35 a year in road tax I think - 35CO2 g/km. Has loads of kit as standard, but it's a heavier car and costs more upfront - on a business lease deal or via your company car scheme (if there is one) it'll be super cheap.

I don't have my A3 anymore as I've switched jobs, but now that I'm not driving to work I decided to order a Golf R. So perhaps a 3rd option is change to a job where you can take a train, and get a weekend toy to blast around in?? Just a thought :p

that's rather hypocritical ....How can anyone be genuinely concerned about the environment when they drive round in a 184BHP car to pop out and do a bit of shopping.

Reactions: Georgeinabz, Daytonapig, pburv and 1 other person
As far as not being able to use the full power of the 184 or 190 try telling S3 guys that!

I quiet often get to rev limiter to kick in on 3rd gear shortly after I am breaking the speed limit :)

It's about the 5 seconds of fun getting to 70mph, far more exhilarating than seeing if you can get 50mpg on a 2.5 hour drive

Reactions: Daytonapig, Max-Robbo, pburv and 1 other person
I quiet often get to rev limiter to kick in on 3rd gear shortly after I am breaking the speed limit :)

It's about the 5 seconds of fun getting to 70mph, far more exhilarating than seeing if you can get 50mpg on a 2.5 hour drive

Hey! It can be thrilling to get good fuel economy. For example by braking less, you reduce the amount of acceleration needed, and there is always a bottom clenching moment where you're about to crash into the car in front, but it drives forward just in time.

Joking of course. Usually I suddenly swerve into the other lane to avoid braking.

Reactions: Scottyg, richinsoton, pauly69 and 2 others
HA!

Yea the new B9 hasn't gone down well over on the A5OC forum....personally glad I went for a B8.5 and got the massive discount!
I'm not surprised! It's ugly as hell

Reactions: Scottyg and pburv
that's rather hypocritical ....How can anyone be genuinely concerned about the environment when they drive round in a 184BHP car to pop out and do a bit of shopping.
I agree, but when others start saying they would not buy a diesel because on the NOx produced etc. Modern diesels produce a lot less that older diesels (EU6 requires 80mg/km rather than the earlier 180mg/km or EU5) and the introduction of AdBlue on most Audi diesels (except the A3) reduces this to almost Nil. The extra mpg can be quite important. Some are saying they get 50 mpg out of their 1.4. Well I get 50mpg of of my 2.0-184 and a lot more power and torque as well. If anyone is happy with a 1.4 then fine. Personally I have owned cars from 875cc upwards and until quite recently all petrol. My last petrol was an Audi 8L A3 1.8T which was a great car, but when Audi changed to the 8P they only offered a 2.0 non-turbo petrol which was useless as a drivers car. The nearest I could buy to the 1.8T was a 2.0-148 diesel and since then I had other A3 2.0-148 diesels and a couple of 170s as well hence when I changed I tried the 1.8 petrol but it did not have the low down torque I had become used to so I went the the 184 diesel. I will try the new 2.0-190 petrol when I come to change to see how that compares but if prefer the 184 diesel I will have another one.
By the way I don't 'pop out and do a bit of shopping' as my wife tends to do that or we both go in her 1.2-90bhp petrol engined Polo which produces just 27g/km less than my 184, but again with a lot less performance.

When it comes to choosing a car for me personally I tend to ignore mpg, CO2 and NOx etc and purchase the car that I enjoy driving the most but some others seem to think they are important.

Reactions: richinsoton and Scottyg
I agree, but when others start saying they would not buy a diesel because on the NOx produced etc. Modern diesels produce a lot less that older diesels (EU6 requires 80mg/km rather than the earlier 180mg/km or EU5) and the introduction of AdBlue on most Audi diesels (except the A3) reduces this to almost Nil. The extra mpg can be quite important. Some are saying they get 50 mpg out of their 1.4. Well I get 50mpg of of my 2.0-184 and a lot more power and torque as well. If anyone is happy with a 1.4 then fine. Personally I have owned cars from 875cc upwards and until quite recently all petrol. My last petrol was an Audi 8L A3 1.8T which was a great car, but when Audi changed to the 8P they only offered a 2.0 non-turbo petrol which was useless as a drivers car. The nearest I could buy to the 1.8T was a 2.0-148 diesel and since then I had other A3 2.0-148 diesels and a couple of 170s as well hence when I changed I tried the 1.8 petrol but it did not have the low down torque I had become used to so I went the the 184 diesel. I will try the new 2.0-190 petrol when I come to change to see how that compares but if prefer the 184 diesel I will have another one.
By the way I don't 'pop out and do a bit of shopping' as my wife tends to do that or we both go in her 1.2-90bhp petrol engined Polo which produces just 27g/km less than my 184, but again with a lot less performance.

When it comes to choosing a car for me personally I tend to ignore mpg, CO2 and NOx etc and purchase the car that I enjoy driving the most but some others seem to think they are important.

Modern petrols produce a lot less CO2 than older ones. As I pointed out, the 1.4TFSI and 2.0TDI have the same reported g/km according to Audi, along with nearly half the NOx.

Looking at the 0-62, they are both identical as well at 8.2seconds. Real world comparisons show the petrol is actually is slightly quicker over the 0-100MPH range. Probably owing to the larger rev range that the petrol can deliver peak output.

The only advantage the diesel has is 5-10MPG more. Given the costs of AdBlue, DPF issues, noise and smell, along with the fact that you arguably get better performance from a smaller lighter engine, for me the petrol is a complete no brainer....

If I wanted more MPG I would look at a hybrid. An EV will also produce instant low end torque that even a supercharged petrol would struggle to compete with!

Reactions: deltapapa, glospete and pburv
I agree if you are comparing and 1.4 TFSI-150 with a 2.0TDI-150 then there is not much in it. It will all be down to how they drive and basically whether you prefer a higher revving petrol to a lower revving diesel engine.

Personally I will not be looking at that level of performance but at the 2.0-190 TFSI and the 2.0-184 TDI both as s-tronic quattro which is not available in a 1.4 and are both quite a bit more powerful than the 150s. As far as I'm aware A3s do not use any AdBlue and I have never had any DPF issues in any of my last three A3s that have a DPF fitted so neither of those bother me. I know the 1.4 COD engine has been out for a while now but are there any issue with it being a more complex engine I wonder?
Again it will depend on a test drive of the 190 TFSI and 184 TDI although I'm not sure how quickly dealers will have s-tronic versions of these available. Personally my existing 184 is not three years old until next April so plenty of time yet.

By the way I don't 'pop out and do a bit of shopping' as my wife tends to do that or we both go in her 1.2-90bhp petrol engined Polo which produces just 27g/km less than my 184, but again with a lot less performance

Was not meant as a personal comment but I obviously touched a raw nerve :smirk:

To answer the OP question, I have owned both 1.4tfsi (not cod) and 2.0tdi and if you are coming down from a 184 BHP TT I would go with the TDI as at least you get in gear torque performance closer to the TT for the motorway part of your regular commute, the CoD might feel a little flat when trying to pull away on a motorway. In town both will perform pretty much the same

Reactions: h5djr and pburv
The only advantage the diesel has is 5-10MPG more. Given the costs of AdBlue, DPF issues, noise and smell, along with the fact that you arguably get better performance from a smaller lighter engine, for me the petrol is a complete no brainer....
AdBlue - not used with the A3,
DPF issues - if you drive a diesel how it's supposed to be driven (higher mileage/longer journeys) you'll never hear a squeak out of your DPF, and even if you do, take it for a quick blast and all your (DPF) troubles will fade away into the distance
Noise - that's what your resonator & minuscule OEM exhaust are for
Smell - OP will be sat in the cabin, no issues ;)

Reactions: h5djr and pburv
AdBlue - not used with the A3,
DPF issues - if you drive a diesel how it's supposed to be driven (higher mileage/longer journeys) you'll never hear a squeak out of your DPF, and even if you do, take it for a quick blast and all your (DPF) troubles will fade away into the distance
Noise - that's what your resonator & minuscule OEM exhaust are for
Smell - OP will be sat in the cabin, no issues ;)

So buy the diesel and restrict the type of miles you do and hope the noise and smell don't bother you (and I'm sorry, I've had an A7 3.0TDI as a courtesy car, and at idle it sounds like a transit van...) for the sake of 5-10MPG, rather than the petrol which definitely doesn't have any of these drawbacks....sorry don't quite get the logic there...?

It's you money, buy what you like, but don't pretend those drawbacks don't exist to people. Its not as if I will blindly say that 20MPG from an S5 is fine and not a problem....of course that will be an issue for some people. When I draw up the pros and cons of these two particular cars, the logical answer seems to be the petrol for the OP.

Reactions: glospete
So buy the diesel and restrict the type of miles you do and hope the noise and smell don't bother you (and I'm sorry, I've had an A7 3.0TDI as a courtesy car, and at idle it sounds like a transit van...) for the sake of 5-10MPG, rather than the petrol which definitely doesn't have any of these drawbacks....sorry don't quite get the logic there...?

It's you money, buy what you like, but don't pretend those drawbacks don't exist to people. Its not as if I will blindly say that 20MPG from an S5 is fine and not a problem....of course that will be an issue for some people. When I draw up the pros and cons of these two particular cars, the logical answer seems to be the petrol for the OP.

An A7 V6 TDI sounds like a transit on idle? this is the car that's like only one step lower than the A8, I thought they were super refined? my next car is the A4 B9 272 TDI which is meant to be hybrid quiet..

In relation to all that I've found that Audi diesels are way smoother and quieter than all its rivals which include merc n bmw, the 220cdi's I've had from merc in the past all sound like trucks!

My A3 Tdi mapped is whisper quiet n the turbo is constantly spooling, so the soundtrack is surprisingly pleasing, baffled to why people are complaining about the noise of audi diesels here, I mean obv its not gonna be as refined as the TFSI's and from the outside u can tell what fuel the car is running on but when u compare them to the opposition I'd say they are still a better bet!

Reactions: pburv, richinsoton and Max-Robbo

Yeah I get where you're coming from, different strokes for different folks! Don't quite agree with the comment about the loudness of modern diesels though..
As I mentioned above, I'd agree that the petrol is more suited to the OP's 7k mileage, but for my 20k the diesel is logical

Reactions: pburv, richinsoton, h5djr and 2 others
An A7 V6 TDI sounds like a transit on idle? this is the car that's like only one step lower than the A8, I thought they were super refined? my next car is the A4 B9 272 TDI which is meant to be hybrid quiet..

In relation to all that I've found that Audi diesels are way smoother and quieter than all its rivals which include merc n bmw, the 220cdi's I've had from merc in the past all sound like trucks!

My A3 Tdi mapped is whisper quiet n the turbo is constantly spooling, so the soundtrack is surprisingly pleasing, baffled to why people are complaining about the noise of audi diesels here, I mean obv its not gonna be as refined as the TFSI's and from the outside u can tell what fuel the car is running on but when u compare them to the opposition I'd say they are still a better bet!

It's possible I may be exaggerating slightly :p but relative to the 2.0TFSI and even my 3.0TFSI, they are ****** noisy! Used to be a chap that had a 2.0TDI A5 (2014) and parked it in the flat car park I used to live at. Honestly mistook it for a delivery van on a couple of occasions.

Obviously this may be of little concern to many, but for me its a biggy. Perhaps the newer ones are quieter, along with fancy noise cancelling software to reduce the impact in the cabin?

Reactions: pburv, Max-Robbo and syed123
It's possible I may be exaggerating slightly :p but relative to the 2.0TFSI and even my 3.0TFSI, they are ****** noisy! Used to be a chap that had a 2.0TDI A5 (2014) and parked it in the flat car park I used to live at. Honestly mistook it for a delivery van on a couple of occasions.

Obviously this may be of little concern to many, but for me its a biggy. Perhaps the newer ones are quieter, along with fancy noise cancelling software to reduce the impact in the cabin?

Hahaha delivery van :p I agree from the outside is plain diesel, but when I floor my car it makes a pleasing sound even from the outside.. pretty much sounds like a baby V6tdi, a few mates thought it was a petrol sound ironically..

Yeah I guess all the newer cars are investing a lot in cancelling out noise.. but I've found that Audi have done this the best so far, I find BMW's ok but the merc 2 litres tooo noisy..

It's really good how the Audi diesels are sounding better though, cause when ur driving fast n ur car is so responsive I'm pretty sure you'd want to hear a decent soundtrack..it encourages you more too..

The 220cdi's I found were quite punchy, I'd say more eager than the 2litre tdi's but the noise is just so uninspiring